Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 05:11 PM

269 posts, read 247,226 times

Advertisements

I quit my last job so I could have time to go on job interviews. I ended up getting a job 1.5 months later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 05:13 PM

1,281 posts, read 776,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyMaeB View Post
I quit my last job so I could have time to go on job interviews. I ended up getting a job 1.5 months later.
Glad it worked out for you because that is dangerous in this new world we live in with rising rent, food, and everything else. I am not quitting anything until I have a confirmed job offer lol

Old 01-14-2017, 05:35 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,957,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
Glad it worked out for you because that is dangerous in this new world we live in with rising rent, food, and everything else. I am not quitting anything until I have a confirmed job offer lol
The new company understands that you may have a planned vacation, so even when there is a 6 month period prior to claiming vacation time, you can simply state up front, even during the interview, that you have a planned trip. I've taken vacation four days after starting a new job simply because it was planned. The four days secure my position.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:24 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,702,403 times
I was on board for personnel effective immediately, but the new job gave me 40 hours of time off to move during. that was nice.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:40 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,407,229 times
I've done both. If I felt I really needed the time off, I would take a few days before starting my next job.
The last time I resigned, I wasn't planning on taking a break between jobs. When I handed in my two weeks notice, they made me leave a couple of hours later, which didn't surprise me because of the field I'm in. They paid me for the two weeks I would have been working so it was a free vacation I had between that job and my new one.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:41 PM

93 posts, read 95,994 times
My last job, I left on a Wednesday and started the following Monday. That was most,y because of how my old company structured benefits. If I'd worked the last 2 days, i would have paid for benefits/FSA even though my coverage ended and I wouldn't be able to access anything. Since I worked in benefits, my boss understood and supported my leaving at the end of a pay period.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:03 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,969 times
The last time I changed companies, I was working at my old job in NYC and the new job was (is) in New Hampshire. My last day at the NYC was the Friday of MLK weekend (11 years ago!) and I started my new job in New Hampshire on the Tuesday, right after MLK day. That was inSANE. I still can't believe I did that. I managed it, but, in hindsight a week off (at least) in between probably would have been a better idea.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:14 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,515,138 times
We actually did our two big moves over a long weekend, and started work right away. One was international, flew in from Europe Sunday afternoon, Monday was MLK, started work on Tuesday. Second was cross country, got on the plane with the kids and the pets on Saturday, Monday was Memorial Day, work started Tuesday. We have kids that need health insurance and we didn't feel like paying for Cobra just so we could take a few extra days!

Old 01-15-2017, 01:29 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,478,553 times
I've started new job right away, but this was an internal transfer.
Otherwise, there was no resigning b/c I would be between jobs.

One person I knew took a 2 week vacation in Rome on a Friday, and started her new job the following Monday after returning on a Sun... that's pretty hard core!

Old 01-15-2017, 06:50 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,929,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
A friend of mine set up her last day at the current job and first day at the new job in a way so that she would have a week to herself before starting the new job. And I think this is a good thing because it will be a while before you have a day off at the new job so why not give yourself a little vacation? I had another friend who resigned from her job and starts her new job on the 23rd and her last day at the current job is the 20th. She claimed the new job needed her to start on that date so she wasn't able to have a gap in between the last job and new job.

How do you transition to a new job? With a small gap or from one job straight to another?
One job straight to the other for me. I'm usually too grateful to the Lord to be working to worry about vacations. Like this last time when I moved out of state (from North Carolina to Pennsylvania), my last day of work was Friday June 4th and I had orientation for my new job on June 8th, to start on the job training the next day. So I drove up on that Monday the 6th, closed on the house on bought on the 7th and then started work on the 8th! I also was sick with a cold during that time. It was pretty hectic.

The last time when I moved from North Carolina, I drove across the country, a three and a half day trip. On the fourth day I got into town and went into work that afternoon to meet the new people and get myself a little oriented. I started there the next day, Friday. At least I had the weekend off!

Previous to that, when I moved from Indiana to Las Vegas, we drove across country getting there on the 17th of July and my first day of work was the 18th. That time, we had wanted to get there a day before that so at least I had a day to recover from the move, but no such luck with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment