Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 10:35 PM

52 posts, read 39,346 times

Advertisements

I have been working in my dream job for nearly 5 years. I work in sales and have a lot of success, freedom, and flexibility to do my job and have been really good at it. Part of the key to my success is having management support, great colleagues, and I have worked my butt off to deliver the outcome.

As a result I am making great money, work where / when / how I want, and I have a lot of trust to do my job properly without much supervision.

As a result of my success, an opportunity has arisen at another company, where they need someone like me to take the helm and run their business and make it equally successful.

I have been agonizing over this opportunity, because I said no thank you as I'm really happy in my current job and had no intentions to leave, but they won't go away. They continue to increase the salary, perks, and other benefits. It is getting to a point where it's hard to ignore.

I love where I work, I love the people I work with, and I love what I do. I would do similar type of work at the new company, but with new people that I should be able to work with very well, but it's not 100% a sure thing, and I would have utmost flexibility and freedom at the new company to run things as I see fit.

I am very confident in my own capabilities, less confident in the capabilities of others whom I have not worked with before, and overall not sure if the new venture will be much more risky if we do not achieve the desired success in the next year or two.

It's one thing to work hard and build my success at my current company, it's another thing to start from scratch and build it all over again. But I believe I can do it, it will be a stretch, but I am up for the challenge.

So back to the tough question - stay where I'm at and ignore the pile of money and perks that I'll lose out on, or leave a very great situation and move to a new, uncertain situation to make more money and try to duplicate my success?

This is a very difficult question for me to ponder and figure out the best thing to do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 10:41 PM

432 posts, read 343,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by life_explorer View Post
I have been working in my dream job for nearly 5 years. I work in sales and have a lot of success, freedom, and flexibility to do my job and have been really good at it. Part of the key to my success is having management support, great colleagues, and I have worked my butt off to deliver the outcome.

As a result I am making great money, work where / when / how I want, and I have a lot of trust to do my job properly without much supervision.

As a result of my success, an opportunity has arisen at another company, where they need someone like me to take the helm and run their business and make it equally successful.

I have been agonizing over this opportunity, because I said no thank you as I'm really happy in my current job and had no intentions to leave, but they won't go away. They continue to increase the salary, perks, and other benefits. It is getting to a point where it's hard to ignore.

I love where I work, I love the people I work with, and I love what I do. I would do similar type of work at the new company, but with new people that I should be able to work with very well, but it's not 100% a sure thing, and I would have utmost flexibility and freedom at the new company to run things as I see fit.

I am very confident in my own capabilities, less confident in the capabilities of others whom I have not worked with before, and overall not sure if the new venture will be much more risky if we do not achieve the desired success in the next year or two.

It's one thing to work hard and build my success at my current company, it's another thing to start from scratch and build it all over again. But I believe I can do it, it will be a stretch, but I am up for the challenge.

So back to the tough question - stay where I'm at and ignore the pile of money and perks that I'll lose out on, or leave a very great situation and move to a new, uncertain situation to make more money and try to duplicate my success?

This is a very difficult question for me to ponder and figure out the best thing to do...
What can you tell us about the other company (e.g. its size, type of business, how long has it been around? Its financials, etc.)

Old 12-31-2016, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by education explorer View Post
What can you tell us about the other company (e.g. its size, type of business, how long has it been around? Its financials, etc.)
It's a subsidiary of a major Fortune 1000 corporation, the subsidiary is brand new looking to get into the space I work in already (biomed / bioscience / bio-tech). There is considerable financial backing, so we will not have to worry about cash flow for a while.

However, it is expected that we will have some aggressive revenue goals once I join. I am a key architect of the industry area that I work in, and have a lot of experience that would be critical for their success.

They want me to lead the subsidiary in some key areas, with support from other folks that are less seasoned and less technical than myself. So it will be a challenge for me, to grow the business with folks I have not worked with before, but I know about (it's a small world in this industry).

At my current job I have groomed a great team who work for me and follow my leadership, and we have achieved great success. I would not plan to poach anyone from my current company as they have been great to me and I wish them the best success if I were to leave.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:49 PM

432 posts, read 343,230 times
Quote:
It's a subsidiary of a major Fortune 1000 corporation, the subsidiary is brand new looking to get into the space I work in already (biomed / bioscience / bio-tech). There is considerable financial backing, so we will not have to worry about cash flow for a while.

However, it is expected that we will have some aggressive revenue goals once I join. I am a key architect of the industry area that I work in, and have a lot of experience that would be critical for their success.

They want me to lead the subsidiary in some key areas, with support from other folks that are less seasoned and less technical than myself. So it will be a challenge for me, to grow the business with folks I have not worked with before, but I know about (it's a small world in this industry).

At my current job I have groomed a great team who work for me and follow my leadership, and we have achieved great success. I would not plan to poach anyone from my current company as they have been great to me and I wish them the best success if I were to leave.
If your current company counters with a better offer, would you elect to stay?

Old 12-31-2016, 10:49 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,482,998 times
Quote:

I would not leave a place like that. If you are performing so well at your current job, why not ask for a promotion? You are in a such an enviable position. Good luck to you.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I would not leave a place like that. If you are performing so well at your current job, why not ask for a promotion? You are in a such an enviable position. Good luck to you.
Thank you... I feel guilty asking for a pay raise because I'm already one of the highest comped employees, and I didn't feel like I was underpaid... Now the new company comes along and is throwing out insane numbers for a comp package to try to recruit me.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:55 PM

1,177 posts, read 1,131,818 times
I'm always for the employee (you) and I say stay. You can always run out of money (the funding). From the way you're wording it, it sounds like they don't have a sound business model and are relaying too much on the funding where sales should be supporting them. Honestly, I would never leave for a start up (unless its your business) because this isn't a good economy. If they were more established, I'd still say stay because you're happy and have freedom where you are.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
I'm always for the employee (you) and I say stay. You can always run out of money (the funding). From the way you're wording it, it sounds like they don't have a sound business model and are relaying too much on the funding where sales should be supporting them. Honestly, I would never leave for a start up (unless its your business) because this isn't a good economy. If they were more established, I'd still say stay because you're happy and have freedom where you are.
Thank you, that was my attitude as well, which is why I told them no.

They (new company) have put together a very attractive comp package, and a presentation of the support I'll get to help me succeed when I am there, to show why it makes sense and they'll back me 100%. Nearly everyone on their team has reached out to me promising to work hard with me / for me... My head is spinning because I feel like a Lebron James being recruited by NBA teams lol.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:02 PM

37 posts, read 31,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post

I 2nd this. The people you are surrounded with in your work environment can really impact your day to day. It is not a given that your new team will come close to the team you have now in likability. I would let the company know that you are being head hunted by XYZ and see if they can at least come close of matching the new package. It seems you are valuable asset so give your current company an opportunity to show their gratitude. I am sure you probably can and will match your success at this new company but that does not guarantee that you will be surrounded by people you truly enjoy working with. You can always except the other offer if things do not go your way.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by education explorer View Post
If your current company counters with a better offer, would you elect to stay?
Sorry I missed this reply. If they countered with a better offer, I would stay 100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment