Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 08:38 AM

6 posts, read 6,551 times

Advertisements

I really don't like it and find her pretty annoying and intrusive. I'm fairly new at my job (3 months) and I'm used to having a boss that is very "hands off". I prefer it that way. I'm not one of those people that likes to socialize with colleagues. I go to work to do my work while being nice and professional of course. My manager will ask questions about my plans on my personal time or when I was sick. I really prefer to be vague but I don't want to come across unfriendly or not a "team player"

Any tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 08:43 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Probably just trying to be human with you rather than an automaton boss. Give as much personal info as you'd like but I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing. If they have ulterior motives with their questioning then maybe I'd be concerned but I can't tell if that's the case unless I was there.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:44 AM

3,568 posts, read 1,346,473 times
Ugh.
This is tricky because if she thinks you don't want to be close she might try to make it seem like you're not a team player. People often don't handle rejection well. Is she one of those "we're all one big happy family" types, or is she only trying to get chummy with YOU?

I'd continue to be vague, and turn the conversation back to work related matters.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
Ugh.
This is tricky because if she thinks you don't want to be close she might try to make it seem like you're not a team player. People often don't handle rejection well. Is she one of those "we're all one big happy family" types, or is she only trying to get chummy with YOU?

I'd continue to be vague, and turn the conversation back to work related matters.
I'm not sure if she is one of those types or not. I think she way too nosy though and it makes me uncomfortable. I don't come to work to make friends and learnt a very valuable lesson in one of my past jobs by being friendly.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:50 AM

609 posts, read 506,036 times
Keep every conversation at work strictly about business. I have learned my lessons from previous jobs and only discuss business matters at work. Some people from work have tried adding me as their facebook friends and I declined. I have accepted their invite on linkedIn.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henriInCary View Post
Keep every conversation at work strictly about business. I have learned my lessons from previous jobs and only discuss business matters at work. Some people from work have tried adding me as their facebook friends and I declined. I have accepted their invite on linkedIn.
I'm definitely trying to do that. Its hard because she is so intrusive.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:12 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times
I say give her a little bit of information but not crossing a line. Like "oh it was great, I spent time with my family" or "we're heading to the mountains" type of chat so you're friendly enough. Or if you were sick "I'm all better now" is sufficient.She is probably just trying to show that she cares about you as a person and an employee.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:45 AM

432 posts, read 343,294 times
I would say you lead a private life that you normally don't discuss around the workplace.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:48 AM

274 posts, read 485,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
I say give her a little bit of information but not crossing a line. Like "oh it was great, I spent time with my family" or "we're heading to the mountains" type of chat so you're friendly enough. Or if you were sick "I'm all better now" is sufficient.She is probably just trying to show that she cares about you as a person and an employee.
Completely agree. Be vague enough where you're still being polite but she still has no idea about your personal life. I do this at work all the time and it works like a charm.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:11 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,437 times
Personally, I do not run into many nosy people, I find that most people are perfectly willing to spend 100% of the conversation talking solely about themselves if you let them. Just redirect with a non-answer and a question about their own weekend and they're off and running.

Oftentimes, people may only ask you about YOUR weekend/plans/whatever because they actually want to talk about their own, so if you just say a few bland words and bounce it back to them, that's often all it takes to end any uncomfortable questions about your own life.

The downside is if you get too good at this, they'll start coming to you all the time and talking at you for long stretches of time while you just sit there and toss in the occasional "that's cool" or "oh really?" to be polite. But, there are strategies for that too, once you get to that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment