Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 02:27 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,697,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Are you still getting X number of widgets out the door and turning a profit?

The forecasted profit based upon how many widgets we should have been able to turn out each week? Absolutely not hence the reason I was brought in to analyze the issue and determine where our inefficiencies were. I performed time studies on each process that was performed on every product on the floor. All were within an acceptable margin.

I redeveloped the workflow to ensure the most efficient path a product could take through the facility. The problem didn't go away. I began to notice that once everyone was moving and the factory was hitting on all cylinders, we could meet cycle times for products but it wasn't consistent throughout the day. It was the start and stop that caused overall times to suffer.

A plant cannot forecast capacity accurately when we know that we should produce X number of each product per month and then we begin missing those numbers. We begin to get behind and that has a snowball effect.

That is when I began to stand back and watch the people instead of the processes and found the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 02:28 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,413,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Hah! I'm nonunion and I get 15 minutes...But I quit smoking, so now what do I do with them?
Stop doing and just be. Drink lots of water. Rest your eyes. Close them. Meditate on someplace peaceful. Relieve some tension. Do some stretching exercises. Gently roll your head backward, forward, side to side.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:33 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,697,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Yep and in that case I woudl need way more than 2 10 min breaks and a lunch. Seen way too many people develop medical problems doing labor jobs.

You can develop medical problems from any type of job.

Construction? Lifting, bending, climbing, falling, exposure to extreme weather, etc... are all things that can cause health issues.

Restaurant? Lifting, bending, constant walking on hard surfaces, fast pace, etc... can cause health issues.

Sitting in an office chair? Back problems, weight problems, carpal tunnel, eye problems, etc... can cause health issues.

It doesn't matter what you do. Anything can cause some sort of problem whether it be physical, mental, etc.. I don't see that as a valid excuse to want more breaks. Most of us work because we have to.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:04 PM

244 posts, read 416,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
We have a policy that we can take two 10 minute breaks at my job, but I never do. I do go to the bathroom whenever I need to, but never take a formal break.
This is the same for me. By the time I go to the restroom, get up and walk around a few times a day, and have a few small conversations at the beginning and end of my day, I see no reason to take an official "break" other than lunch. I find them distracting. These events happen naturally throughout the day.

I was a server in fine dining restaurants for eleven years. We NEVER received official breaks.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:38 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,452,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl Friday View Post
Breaks are strictly enforced at my work and I find them to be extremely disruptive to my thought processes and workflow. I think their value is mostly contingent on the type of environment in which one works. I work in an office, but I can see where they would be of tremendous value in manual labor or in a factory setting.
It's good for a "change". If you're on a production line it's great to get away from the noise and relax to whatever degree you can in 15 minutes. If you have a desk job it's great to get up and actually walk - you can get in a mile of brisk walking in 15 min - that's a couple thousand steps for those of you trying to get in your 10,000 a day. Or if you don't walk, you can at least try some stretches at your desk.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:59 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,938,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
It's good for a "change". If you're on a production line it's great to get away from the noise and relax to whatever degree you can in 15 minutes. If you have a desk job it's great to get up and actually walk - you can get in a mile of brisk walking in 15 min - that's a couple thousand steps for those of you trying to get in your 10,000 a day. Or if you don't walk, you can at least try some stretches at your desk.
Yep- we have two 15 minute breaks in addition to lunch hour and while the other guys look at their phone or have a smoke break I can get in just over a mile and a quarter power walk in each 15 minute break and about 2.5 miles in the half hour left over after eating (in a beautiful historic, hilly neighborhood overlooking the ocean adjacent a canyon park where I take my lunch everyday!). Adds up to 5 miles or more every single day that I can accomplish it depending on not being on site visits or occasional meetings.

Opposite of a factory production job- architecture production sitting at the computer all day unless at job sites so getting up and moving does the body good! Also, I often am working out design problems while hyper-oxygenating my blood and just getting out helps the thinking and break up the day- I am certain I am more productive because of it.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:50 PM

17,154 posts, read 13,010,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
You can develop medical problems from any type of job.

Construction? Lifting, bending, climbing, falling, exposure to extreme weather, etc... are all things that can cause health issues.

Restaurant? Lifting, bending, constant walking on hard surfaces, fast pace, etc... can cause health issues.

Sitting in an office chair? Back problems, weight problems, carpal tunnel, eye problems, etc... can cause health issues.

It doesn't matter what you do. Anything can cause some sort of problem whether it be physical, mental, etc.. I don't see that as a valid excuse to want more breaks. Most of us work because we have to.
Exactly. I work in a medical office and as with most medical offices, we don't have official breaks. As long as the patients are there or on the phone it's game on, and there's a lot of work behind the scenes on top of that. We never get everything finished by the time we lock the doors at night, and we often don't leave until 7:30 PM after starting at 8:30 AM.

So we try to take a break anyway. We make a Starbucks run, go next door to the grocery store, or run to the mailbox just to decompress from our patients' constant demands. Our sanity depends on it and we serve them better when we get a break. It's easy work physically, but it can be mentally draining due to the constant multitasking required and the need for us to prioritize our time effectively.

Old 01-07-2017, 02:19 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,139,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
The forecasted profit based upon how many widgets we should have been able to turn out each week? Absolutely not hence the reason I was brought in to analyze the issue and determine where our inefficiencies were. I performed time studies on each process that was performed on every product on the floor. All were within an acceptable margin.

I redeveloped the workflow to ensure the most efficient path a product could take through the facility. The problem didn't go away. I began to notice that once everyone was moving and the factory was hitting on all cylinders, we could meet cycle times for products but it wasn't consistent throughout the day. It was the start and stop that caused overall times to suffer.

A plant cannot forecast capacity accurately when we know that we should produce X number of each product per month and then we begin missing those numbers. We begin to get behind and that has a snowball effect.

That is when I began to stand back and watch the people instead of the processes and found the issue.
Sounds like you need to start automating. Can't beat up on people for being people. Robots can do rote tasks 24/7 with lights out other than for very minor mx down time.

Old 01-07-2017, 02:30 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,139,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
And these attitudes are why Americans are killing themselves through overwork and stress. Compared to European countries, our lack of vacations and time off is pathetic. We should work to live, not live to work.
I don't think the millennial generation believes in this and the proliferation of the weed movement proves it. Companies are relying HEAVILY on highly skilled older boomers who have one foot in retirement and just need to pad their accounts a little more. Once the proliferation of retirements start companies are going to have to have some very serious introspection and sweeping policy changes because the new generations are not going to tolerate it.

Millenisls wont work like slaves so the owner can have a second lake house, they just won't, companies can fire them now and fall back on the 50 somethings but the piper is coming and everyone can hear his singing in the distance.

If a buisness is to survive in the future they are going to need better plans and deal with people who truely only want to work to live and millenisls don't much care if they are fired they will just go home and smoke some weed. It's about time for it to be an employees market anyways and I am happy with millenials.

Old 01-07-2017, 03:12 AM

9,699 posts, read 10,060,702 times
I my factory most people have lost the break time as they have gone the 24 hour work with 8 hour shift days so people are given half hour paid time lunch and work 7 and a half hour days , Where me and a few others don`t have 24 hour three shifts were I have to work half hour more to get two 15 minute breaks plus a paid time lunch..... And the company gives breaks to the few were it can cost little over thousand dollars a years to the employee, then people without the break , I sooner take a break as it is hard manual labor .......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment