Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 07:14 AM

1,281 posts, read 780,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Processing applications is not something that should take 6 months to learn. Unless the state is constantly changing regulations, it should be a process that flows once you understand the steps.

If you have been there 3 years, you have undoubtedly learned a system of how to do this. One way to make yourself stand out would be to figure out where the gaps in training are and come up with a form, manual or set of instructions for new hires that explains the process.

Then you could take it to your manager AND her manager and offer it as a process improvement. It shows mastery and initiative.

I assume you are helping your co-workers when they have questions?

Yes I do answer their questions because I remember how I was 3 years ago due to the application process being so unpredictable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 07:19 AM

49,926 posts, read 60,182,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
Yes I do answer their questions because I remember how I was 3 years ago due to the application process being so unpredictable.

What is unpredictable about it?

Old 01-11-2017, 07:20 AM

12,919 posts, read 9,178,287 times
Ok so you've been there three years. Then just take on the task of mentoring the new hires. Just step up and do it. Be the asset the boss turns to so she doesn't have to send out this email in the first place.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:46 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,723,126 times
If someone goes running to HR any time they encounter something they don't want to at least, attempt to deal with on their own first, then they are acting like a 5 year old in a daycare center.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:

What is unpredictable about it?
It's so many reasons that you may not be able to process the application which takes a lot of research. Then it's a lot of glitches and system errors which can drive a new person crazy.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:05 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,614,495 times
I've been in a processing center so I understand the new people might have lots of questions. On one hand I agree with your boss but on the other hand the boss needs to have a process in place so the new people can direct questions to someone like you, who is more seasoned, rather than going directly to the boss. The training should also be tightened up. We were big on having written training materials that new people could reference. We told them if they couldn't find the answer in there, then to go to a subject matter expert, then the subject matter expert could go to the boss if they didn't have an answer or way to address the issue. Chain of command is very important to avoid bogging down the boss.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:20 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,771 posts, read 81,730,333 times
With good training, procedures and work processes people should not have to bother their boss much, in fact I would consider it a positive to be given some rope, and not be micro-managed. In my case people are required to have 3 years experience to even get an interview, so after passing 6 months probation they should be able to at least try to solve problems before coming to me. I have plenty of other work to do in addition to solving their problems, and most of the time it's not a problem, but I do have one in particular that seems reluctant. I often tell him to go back and think about it and try to come up with a solution. It's something that is affecting his performance reviews and annual raises. Most of the time when I have to intervene it's a dispute with someone in another department, and for those I'm happy to intervene.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:26 AM

49,926 posts, read 60,182,039 times
Quote:
It's so many reasons that you may not be able to process the application which takes a lot of research. Then it's a lot of glitches and system errors which can drive a new person crazy.
So if you work in a government office, and one that deals with a very important issue like childcare, the fact that there are "a lot" of glitches and system errors is a big problem.

You have a choice: You can continue with just being a daily employee and dealing with the daily problems, blaming it on government red tape or incompetence or whatever you want. You can do this for as long as you can take it.

You also could take on a little more proactive role in getting this real problem resolved. Faulty or outdated software is a huge waste of taxpayer money, and it could jeopardize a family's chance to get child care. Locally, our state labor dept has had severe delays in getting out unemployment benefits to recipients. You can bet that people yowled about it until a news station came on board and began "investigating." It's still not resolved, but the delays are supposedly shorter now.

At any rate, your department likely has a commissioner in charge. I would keep track of the glitches and errors for a certain period of time and gather the information to show your boss and her boss that something needs to be changed so productivity can improve and people can stop asking so many questions. Ideally, a really good manager who feels the need to send out an email like the one you wrote about would stop and think ... "What could be causing all these questions?"

Of course, if your state is having serious budget cuts you probably won't get anywhere.

What state are you in?

Old 01-11-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
So if you work in a government office, and one that deals with a very important issue like childcare, the fact that there are "a lot" of glitches and system errors is a big problem.

You have a choice: You can continue with just being a daily employee and dealing with the daily problems, blaming it on government red tape or incompetence or whatever you want. You can do this for as long as you can take it.

You also could take on a little more proactive role in getting this real problem resolved. Faulty or outdated software is a huge waste of taxpayer money, and it could jeopardize a family's chance to get child care. Locally, our state labor dept has had severe delays in getting out unemployment benefits to recipients. You can bet that people yowled about it until a news station came on board and began "investigating." It's still not resolved, but the delays are supposedly shorter now.

At any rate, your department likely has a commissioner in charge. I would keep track of the glitches and errors for a certain period of time and gather the information to show your boss and her boss that something needs to be changed so productivity can improve and people can stop asking so many questions. Ideally, a really good manager who feels the need to send out an email like the one you wrote about would stop and think ... "What could be causing all these questions?"

Of course, if your state is having serious budget cuts you probably won't get anywhere.

What state are you in?

PA

And these errors and glitches just started in 2016. Well did have this issue in 2014 and 2015.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:00 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,394,910 times
Quote:
She sent this email today to everyone explaining that too many staff members are just asking for assistance and not trying to resolve the problem first. So basically she wants to get paid to do nothing and not help her staff.

So now what is going to happen is people will be afraid to ask for help and will screw things up. Now if the same person asked for help 3 times in one day then I could see how that would be annoying but just once a day if you are a new employee?

I'm not a manager but I've been at this company for 2.5 years and my teammates & QA frequently come to me for help.

I'm happy to help if it's something weird, hard, something they've never seen before, etc.

But if they come to me with the same question they've asked a dozen times already, I get a little annoyed. I'm not allowed to show annoyance here and I can't tell them to eff off, so I have to grit my teeth and answer the question for the nth time with a smile on my face.

Believe me, if I thought I could get away with sending an e-mail like the OP's boss...I'd do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment