Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 09:22 AM

255 posts, read 200,164 times

Advertisements

I started with my current employer about nine months ago. I was very excited about the opportunity, as I was moving out of a position that was not a very good fit for my experience and skill set. The manager who hired me at my present employer essentially told me that, along with the requisite tasks of the position, there'd be ample opportunity to grow and develop the position to suit my specialty in the area of business/data analytics. This seemed like the type of position I've been looking for my entire career. I'd (mostly) have free reign to develop the position into what I'm good at and enjoy doing.

Well, the buck stops there. About a month into the new job, the organization I work in (which is a subsidiary of a large hospital) underwent a massive reorg. Several directors were terminated, and that included my manager who hired me. For the 1.5 months that followed, we didn't have a manager. My co-worker and I essentially ran the department alone and, surprisingly enough, kept it afloat and completed our necessary projects and tasks despite our lack of experience. Eventually, a new director was hired from within. He is a very good man, IMO, and very intelligent (more so than he gets credit for). Then, a new management position was posted for the department. I applied for it, but was ultimately passed over for someone else internally. Not a major deal, but disappointing nonetheless. Our department is pretty flat, so there's no other positions to move up into besides that role.

Here is the problem. The new director and manager are mostly uninformed about what we do in our department. They know some things, but they don't know the fine details, which prevents them from understanding our roles as they should. Furthermore, they are mostly non-existent. They are always away, sometimes in meetings, sometimes who knows where. Though I enjoy the sovereignty of my position, I feel that there is not much mentorship or guidance. I came here with the hopes that I'd have more opportunity for professional development and a better career path. I've been doing my diligence in reaching out to other teams and finding opportunities where I can, but I have zero support from management to help me reach any of my professional goals. Our team is also fairly isolated from other teams (tucked away in a small floor away from the other groups), so we don't get the valuable face time with others that seeds future collaboration. Our department is the epitome of Milton from the movie Office Space, who was moved down to the basement floor of the office.

I've been here for going on nine months now, and I do not feel like any clarity or structure has been established within our department. I've made a number of requests to talk to my director and manager about my objectives and goals. My director has been mostly receptive to talking to me, but my new manager has not responded to my request at all. Furthermore, despite all the talk that they'd like to be more engaged with their employees, I've not seen any plan of action being talked about or rolled out. IMO, they are simply too lax about the direction of the team, whereas I'm more of a Type-A "must have a plan for everything" type of person. My co-worker and I are ultimately still managing the department, mostly on our own with little input from management.

I'm debating whether it's time to throw in the towel. I don't know what other options I can exercise at this point. I feel like I've planted the seed about what I'm looking for as much and often as I can already. I really like my co-workers, I'm paid decently (though less than I can make since this is govt. subsidized), and my benefits are very good. But the room for growth and development, and structure within the department, are severely lacking. Any thoughts or suggestions about moving forward from here? Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 09:31 AM

432 posts, read 343,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Careerist View Post
I started with my current employer about nine months ago. I was very excited about the opportunity, as I was moving out of a position that was not a very good fit for my experience and skill set. The manager who hired me at my present employer essentially told me that, along with the requisite tasks of the position, there'd be ample opportunity to grow and develop the position to suit my specialty in the area of business/data analytics. This seemed like the type of position I've been looking for my entire career. I'd (mostly) have free reign to develop the position into what I'm good at and enjoy doing.

Well, the buck stops there. About a month into the new job, the organization I work in (which is a subsidiary of a large hospital) underwent a massive reorg. Several directors were terminated, and that included my manager who hired me. For the 1.5 months that followed, we didn't have a manager. My co-worker and I essentially ran the department alone and, surprisingly enough, kept it afloat and completed our necessary projects and tasks despite our lack of experience. Eventually, a new director was hired from within. He is a very good man, IMO, and very intelligent (more so than he gets credit for). Then, a new management position was posted for the department. I applied for it, but was ultimately passed over for someone else internally. Not a major deal, but disappointing nonetheless. Our department is pretty flat, so there's no other positions to move up into besides that role.

Here is the problem. The new director and manager are mostly uninformed about what we do in our department. They know some things, but they don't know the fine details, which prevents them from understanding our roles as they should. Furthermore, they are mostly non-existent. They are always away, sometimes in meetings, sometimes who knows where. Though I enjoy the sovereignty of my position, I feel that there is not much mentorship or guidance. I came here with the hopes that I'd have more opportunity for professional development and a better career path. I've been doing my diligence in reaching out to other teams and finding opportunities where I can, but I have zero support from management to help me reach any of my professional goals. Our team is also fairly isolated from other teams (tucked away in a small floor away from the other groups), so we don't get the valuable face time with others that seeds future collaboration.

I've been here for going on nine months now, and I do not feel like any clarity or structure has been established within our department. I've made a number of requests to talk to my director and manager about my objectives and goals. My director has been mostly receptive to talking to me, but my new manager has not responded to me at all. Furthermore, despite all the talk that they'd like to be more engaged with their employees, I've not seen any plan of action being talked about or rolled out. IMO, they are simply too lax about the direction of the team, whereas I'm more of a Type-A "must have a plan for everything" type of person. My co-worker and I are ultimately still managing the department, mostly on our own with little input from management.

I'm debating whether it's time to throw in the towel. I don't know what other options I can exercise at this point. I feel like I've planted the seed about what I'm looking for as much and often as I can already. I really like my co-workers, I'm paid decently (though less than I can make since this is govt. subsidized), and my benefits are very good. But the room for growth and development, and structure within the department, are severely lacking. Any thoughts or suggestions about moving forward from here? Thank you for your time.
I'm willing to bet you that whoever your company is is losing money which brought about the reorganization. You're in the dark as to what's going on and you don't have a clue as to what your future's going to be like. I'd start looking around.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:34 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,068,788 times
Disarray can mean opportunity as well.

I think your strategy or thinking I should say, is a bit off. If the department went through a restructuring recently, management's first priority is not your professional development. If you'd adjust your expectations to helping out as much as you can without being needy, it will most likely be appreciated down the road, and then everyone around you will be more open to your own individual goals.

Asking to be fed steak, while everyone else is trying just to stay alive on ramen noodles does not go over very well.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by education explorer View Post
I'm willing to bet you that whoever your company is is losing money which brought about the reorganization. You're in the dark as to what's going on and you don't have a clue as to what your future's going to be like. I'd start looking around.
They have been surprisingly transparent. We work under the umbrella of the regional safety net hospital. Since we are considered a public entity, our finances and such are mostly available for all to see. Yes, they were in the red in 2016, mostly due to capital investments. That said, I do believe that long term stability at this point, after the reorg, is not an issue.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
They have been surprisingly transparent. We work under the umbrella of the regional safety net hospital. Since we are considered a public entity, our finances and such are mostly available for all to see. Yes, they were in the red in 2016, mostly due to capital investments. That said, I do believe that long term stability at this point, after the reorg, is not an issue.
Do you know if you'll get an annual review?

Old 01-13-2017, 09:55 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Look for a new job. If they *had* a plan for your department it would have been implemented already. They don't.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
Disarray can mean opportunity as well.

I think your strategy or thinking I should say, is a bit off. If the department went through a restructuring recently, management's first priority is not your professional development. If you'd adjust your expectations to helping out as much as you can without being needy, it will most likely be appreciated down the road, and then everyone around you will be more open to your own individual goals.

Asking to be fed steak, while everyone else is trying just to stay alive on ramen noodles does not go over very well.
I agree 100% about disarray possibly equating to opportunity. Hence, why I've been planting the seed around that I can be of service in certain areas, particularly analytics.

What do you think is a good timeline for meeting this expectation? My one year mark arrives at the end of April. Thanks!

Old 01-13-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Do you know if you'll get an annual review?
I believe we are supposed to. My one year will come up at the end of April. My co-worker just hit her two year mark, and has not had a review yet.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I believe we are supposed to. My one year will come up at the end of April. My co-worker just hit her two year mark, and has not had a review yet.
Since she hasn't, what makes you think you'll get your annual review?

Old 01-13-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Since she hasn't, what makes you think you'll get your annual review?
I don't know one way or another if I will. I don't believe she has asked about it. I do have more initiative than my co-worker, I will say that. For example, I've established one-on-one sessions with my new director when he came on board to discuss my week-to-week projects and tasks. When my one year anniversary comes around, I will certainly ask about it. Whether I actually get one or not is TBD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment