Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 11:20 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,350,065 times

Advertisements

Guys don't forget to take your 10 minute break.
Some of the people at work forget to take their breaks.

I have 2 10 minutes breaks according to my union.

Don't forget your breaks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 11:22 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,812,699 times
Hah! I'm nonunion and I get 15 minutes...But I quit smoking, so now what do I do with them?

Old 01-05-2017, 11:52 AM

4,314 posts, read 4,014,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Hah! I'm nonunion and I get 15 minutes...But I quit smoking, so now what do I do with them?
I never smoked but had no problem taking and enjoying my breaks every day of my working career.

Old 01-05-2017, 01:12 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,692,865 times
For me, a 10 minute break adds little value so I never take them. By the time I sit down to "relax" for a minute I lose focus on what I need to accomplish. Just as I begin to relax it's time to go back to work and I have to spend time getting my mind re-focused on the task at hand. I find it easier to work through them.

I'm not a clock watcher though, so most times I don't even realize it is lunch until it's closer to 1pm. Clock watchers are very inefficient.

Old 01-05-2017, 01:16 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,229,012 times
I take breaks more often to think through a problem...going over solutions. It's a way for me to walk away from my desk and refocus on the big picture.

Old 01-05-2017, 05:35 PM

212 posts, read 195,865 times
Breaks are strictly enforced at my work and I find them to be extremely disruptive to my thought processes and workflow. I think their value is mostly contingent on the type of environment in which one works. I work in an office, but I can see where they would be of tremendous value in manual labor or in a factory setting.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:34 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,692,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl Friday View Post
Breaks are strictly enforced at my work and I find them to be extremely disruptive to my thought processes and workflow. I think their value is mostly contingent on the type of environment in which one works. I work in an office, but I can see where they would be of tremendous value in manual labor or in a factory setting.

A factory, restaurant, retail, or maybe a job where you are on your feet all day long and performing physical labor is about the only places I can think of where a break is really necessary. As you stated above, in an office environment we use our brains more than muscle. Taking those breaks can disrupt a thought process and sometimes that disruption can take a lot longer to recover from if you are in the middle of a large task.

I have co-workers who seem to live for these breaks. They are very inefficient and rarely get work done because they are constantly watching the clock and stopping their work to run outside. That stop and go has caused them to get behind on work and complain about having to stay late all the time. Aside from the occasional necessity for me to work longer hours for proposals and such when it's time for me to go home, I go home. My work is done.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:48 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,938,435 times
I get two 15 minute breaks. They always allow us them to improve morale or so they say.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:13 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,372,370 times
We forgo the breaks and take a long lunch. Tradition. Plus we can walk around and run our mouths at any time of the day. We are not overworked. We are gubm't workers.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:19 AM

17,154 posts, read 13,003,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
A factory, restaurant, retail, or maybe a job where you are on your feet all day long and performing physical labor is about the only places I can think of where a break is really necessary. As you stated above, in an office environment we use our brains more than muscle. Taking those breaks can disrupt a thought process and sometimes that disruption can take a lot longer to recover from if you are in the middle of a large task.

I have co-workers who seem to live for these breaks. They are very inefficient and rarely get work done because they are constantly watching the clock and stopping their work to run outside. That stop and go has caused them to get behind on work and complain about having to stay late all the time. Aside from the occasional necessity for me to work longer hours for proposals and such when it's time for me to go home, I go home. My work is done.
And these attitudes are why Americans are killing themselves through overwork and stress. Compared to European countries, our lack of vacations and time off is pathetic. We should work to live, not live to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment