Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 07:51 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times

Advertisements

I don't think there are many minimum wage workers on this forum. Where I work the lowest pay, mail messenger is at about $20/hour. Fast food places are always hiring and paying $13 or more to attract people who mostly commute from other, less expensive areas. The gradual increase to $15 in Seattle has not had much effect, while in the city of SeaTac where it jumped right to $15 in 2014 the employers were forced to reduce staff benefits and hours to maintain profits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 10:46 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzmark View Post
Anecdotal evidence research I guess. What else would it be called if it comes from a public forum.
And what's the value in that? In a country of 350 million people you can find thousands of personal "stories" to support any side of any argument. Aggregate verifiable statistics are the only thing that is going to matter. The only value in an anecdotal story is to give an example where you have already drawn a conclusion.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:00 PM

516 posts, read 429,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
And what's the value in that? In a country of 350 million people you can find thousands of personal "stories" to support any side of any argument. Aggregate verifiable statistics are the only thing that is going to matter. The only value in an anecdotal story is to give an example where you have already drawn a conclusion.
Personal stories seem to be more telling of how real people are affected in real situations. Verifiable statistics do not tell those stories, they just lay out numbers.

Old 01-23-2017, 01:12 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzmark View Post
Personal stories seem to be more telling of how real people are affected in real situations. Verifiable statistics do not tell those stories, they just lay out numbers.
What are you trying to do, present an emotional case based on a few stories or present a logical argument based on data?

Old 01-23-2017, 03:49 PM

687 posts, read 616,600 times
Quote:
What are you trying to do, present an emotional case based on a few stories or present a logical argument based on data?
Why must it be one or another? There are other resources for statistical data.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Why do you care so much about why or what I'm trying to do? I'm just curious for my own personal interests. That's it. Gee wiz. If you don't have anything to add then just go away.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:48 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
I worked a few entry level retail / fast food jobs when minimum wage was $5.25. Even back then companies worked people as few hours as possible and chronically short staffed. Most weeks I worked 15 to 30 hours and made around $6.25, which isn't enough to live on. In college I just took out lots of loans for cost of living because the pay wasn't even worth working for.

Old 01-28-2017, 03:25 PM

-REGARDING WA state-

I'm curious about those who work for big conglomerates like Walmart, Rite Aid, Walgreens, Safeway, Jiffy Lube, and otherwise huge corporations that cannot be put out of business by such an increase in wages.

Have you had a decrease in your hours?
Have you had benefits cut? Sick time? Holiday pay?

I still believe massive companies will find a way to offset the additional costs of higher wages, at the cost of the employees.......

A friend of mine makes $13.79 an hour. He Didn't get a raise on January 1st, while his minimum wage coworkers did..... Up to $11 an hour. Needless to say, he's less than thrilled!

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment