Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 09:27 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times

Advertisements

It's not Amway? It sure sounds like an Amway recruitment.

Did they let you pick up the check for dinner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 09:38 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
One of the red flags is the vagueness. I've gotten emails from MLMers from my posted resume and LinkedIN and whenever they are intentionally vague I know it is because they know that minute the details come out it will set off your scam sensor and you will shut them down. They are trying to reel you in and soften you up first.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:03 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,450,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
My guess would be as you suspect they are in a multilevel marketing or pyramid scheme and are trying to sell to everyone they know. At some point they will hit you up for as you said training, licensing, franchise fees and now you get to join them at the bottom of the pyramid trying to recruit other schmucks.

Clearly a scam or pyramid scheme.
I'm shaking my head you even wasted your time meeting them.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:05 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Definitely a pyramid scheme. Amway or something just like it.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:29 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
I'd probably be cutting off Mary and her husband from all communications after a stunt like this.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:04 AM

2 posts, read 1,475 times
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the time you all took to respond. I certainly felt something fishy from the start but still gave them the benefit of the doubt. I just can't believe that it's possible to scam someone this way. Even though I'm very curious about the actual scam mechanism I'm going to simply decline the meeting and won't make a scene out it. Again, thank you for replying.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:27 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave_but_shy View Post
Even though I'm very curious about the actual scam mechanism...
They say you can sell products for Amway (or whomever) but first you need to be licensed to sell products on Amway. The license is only $200 (or whatever). The only way to make money is to sell the actual products and make very little money or sell the licenses to your family / friends / coworkers / strangers and make big money potentially. The more you sell to, the more $ you get. The more those who you sold to sell to, you get even more and so on and so forth. So yes you can make actual money by selling product but it's junk no one wants/needs and it'd take some time and many sales of this junk to recoup your initial $200 investment. So they just recommend selling the licenses to make the big bucks. So off they go to con everyone they know out of $200 so they can get more money and not be at the bottom of the pyramid any longer.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:40 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
MLM scam. Run as fast as you can!

Old 01-25-2017, 01:06 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
When someone makes money selling training that is a Pyramid scheme. As stated the couple is offering to sell training for only $900.

To be a legit MLM company product has to change hands. Selling training has to be limited and in some cases just for the cost of the training. I would be suspect with a company that tells you that it is going to cost $900 to get the information you want just to start a company.

A couple years back a friend mentioned something about how she was not falling asleep after work at the drop of a hat. She was not trying to push anything. I asked her what she was doing and she told me what she was using. I decided to try it and used it for about a year. I even got involved with the company.

Here is the kicker: The company was free to join. Free to sign up. All training was free. No meeting to attend. Online training, webinars, three way calls, free web site for any product promoter as they called them. No product to buy. You make money when people buy direct from the company. Now that is a good MLM.

Only problem was the product cost was about $200 a month. LOL

Old 01-25-2017, 01:12 PM

708 posts, read 577,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
Sounds like the newest twist on the AmWay game.
Now, instead of selling soap you sell selling.

Definitely Amway, they just won't say it. Sneaky and underhanded tactics! Run!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment