Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 06:59 AM

72 posts, read 73,853 times

Advertisements

During my long career I was bullied by my boss and coworkers on a regular basis. I chose a career field with lots of competition for jobs and it was not possible to just quit or make a scene because I needed the money. We lived on 110% of our paychecks for years!

I tried everything short of quitting to get the bullying to stop. This included:

Going to HR to get them to make it stop.

Going to my bosses manager to complain

Having an attorney write a certified letter to senior management stating I would sue for harassment.

Making a formal appeal in writing to my bosses emotions to stop the bullying.

Making a scene which included crying.

None of these approaches worked. What did I do wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 07:12 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,942,382 times
Based solely on what you wrote, you stayed, you allowed yourself to be used for a long period of time, you knew the environment, yet you never found a new job. I don't buy, it was not possible to find a new job after years and years, you made excuses and continue to do so.

I am willing to bet, your coworkers/bosses have a different view on what you call "bullying," that is backed up by the attorney only writing a letter, knowing full well the true facts may be a little different than the version you are stating.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:26 AM

72 posts, read 73,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
Based solely on what you wrote, you stayed, you allowed yourself to be used for a long period of time, you knew the environment, yet you never found a new job. I don't buy, it was not possible to find a new job after years and years, you made excuses and continue to do so.

I am willing to bet, your coworkers/bosses have a different view on what you call "bullying," that is backed up by the attorney only writing a letter, knowing full well the true facts may be a little different than the version you are stating.
Your harsh comments are similar to online bullying! Did you use to work with me and know all the facts?

Old 03-08-2017, 07:35 AM

6,496 posts, read 9,886,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by want to learn View Post
Your harsh comments are similar to online bullying! Did you use to work with me and know all the facts?

He was honest. Maybe with your thin skin you should retire now?

Old 03-08-2017, 07:38 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,515,566 times
Quote:
Just because someone does not tell you what you wish to hear does not mean they are a bully.

I personally would say that living on 110% of your salary is not the best decision and it is not one that someone would make for you.

Also, have you looked for another job?

Old 03-08-2017, 08:08 AM

3,871 posts, read 3,182,942 times
You should tell us what kind of bullying you are going thru. One thing you have not done is file an Official complaint with the goverment for harrassment. But you need to step up, and file the complaint. You need to step up and tell people to shut up.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:09 AM

3,871 posts, read 3,182,942 times
Do it all by registered mail or email. Cc everyone. Everyone cant ignore an email bomb.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:10 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,515,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
You should tell us what kind of bullying you are going thru. One thing you have not done is file an Official complaint with the goverment for harrassment. But you need to step up, and file the complaint. You need to step up and tell people to shut up.
I am wondering if this is a government job. I am more than a little curious.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:49 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,685,275 times
Quote:
Good Lord. Someone speaking bluntly and directly is "harassment" to you? You've got to be an absolute delight to work with. I feel for your employer and coworkers and wonder why they didn't dustbin you a long time ago.

Sheesh.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:02 AM

3,575 posts, read 2,913,193 times
Quote:
During my long career I was bullied by my boss and coworkers on a regular basis. I chose a career field with lots of competition for jobs and it was not possible to just quit or make a scene because I needed the money. We lived on 110% of our paychecks for years!

I tried everything short of quitting to get the bullying to stop. This included:

Going to HR to get them to make it stop.

Going to my bosses manager to complain

Having an attorney write a certified letter to senior management stating I would sue for harassment.

Making a formal appeal in writing to my bosses emotions to stop the bullying.

Making a scene which included crying.

None of these approaches worked. What did I do wrong?
Bullying behavior in and of itself is not defined or protected in employment law. Addressing each method:
HR- Can advise and speak with manager but no law has been broken to act on.
Bosses Mngr- Either doesn't see it as a problem or valued the boss over you and his behavior.
Attorney- Once again, as described no actual legal action can be taken.
Formal Appeal- Once again, they have the choice to act or not.
Scene- Making a scene, especially with crying involved is going to make everyone uncomfortable, irritated, and question your maturity.

The only suggestion I offer is to see a counselor of some sort to find where this is coming from how to effectively react in the future to perceived bullying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment