Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 06:53 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,268,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinglyme22 View Post
I started with this staffing agency at the beginning of this month (March). This past week I went on a job interview through them. I got feedback this morning from the recruiter saying that the company told them that they are not sure if I can do the job because I got nervous during the interview.

So, the question is, what does getting nervous during an interview have to do with not getting the job? I did give good answers and tried expanding on everything, but apparently since I got nervous they didnt think I can do the job.
Confidence. Being nervous made you look like you lacked confidence. There are many helpful sites online related to avoiding nervousness on job interviews.

Curious, what type of position was this that you interviewed for?

Last edited by JanND; 03-16-2017 at 07:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 08:22 AM

190 posts, read 247,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
I feel bad for you. In 12 years of hiring staff for client support/customer relations, I never once saw their nervousness during the interviews as a negative. In fact, these people turned out 100% to be the most sincere, most capable and formed excellent relationships with their clients. One girl was so nervous she could not speak during the interview. I found it frustrating but she had been highly recommended by a client I respected. So I walked her out to her car, and chatted casually about nothing. She opened right up and I was able to interview her standing outside her car, without her knowing it.

I was always a bit suspicious of those who were a bit too gregarious and relaxed. They were often the more two-faced types.

So maybe you just had a very inexperienced interviewer. Good luck with the next ones
Hmmmmm, girl I had was very young - she looked like (by how she appeared) that she could be my friend (I am 25), so I am not sure how many interviews she did. But that is also a possibility - she may be inexperienced, but will never know though.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by credit6 View Post
Best way to handle being nervous on a interview is letting the interviewer do most of the talking. Once I was able to do that and keep my answers short I started being more successful at job interviewing.
Apparently keeping answers short is a bad thing. I know someone who went through a staffing agency for a job, and one time she got feedback that their answers were short, so the employer could not hire them. Not sure what they meant by short because she gave normal length answers. But maybe its preference or what they were expecting. Anyways, since you dont know if its preference or its really that short, the recruiter had to prep them on what they were saying and for how long (since they thought it was really the short answers based on what they were told). Funny part was when they asked her what they were saying during the interview, they said she was fine with length and answers, and they also thought they prepped themselves, but she was literally just doing what she was doing for all of her interviews including without using their prep material. She didnt have the heart to tell them.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:35 AM

123 posts, read 139,284 times
Quote:
Apparently keeping answers short is a bad thing. I know someone who went through a staffing agency for a job, and one time she got feedback that their answers were short, so the employer could not hire them. Not sure what they meant by short because she gave normal length answers. But maybe its preference or what they were expecting. Anyways, since you dont know if its preference or its really that short, the recruiter had to prep them on what they were saying and for how long (since they thought it was really the short answers based on what they were told). Funny part was when they asked her what they were saying during the interview, they said she was fine with length and answers, and they also thought they prepped themselves, but she was literally just doing what she was doing for all of her interviews including without using their prep material. She didnt have the heart to tell them.

I'm not talking about one word answers, just being able to get the interviewer to do more talking than you.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
How did you get nervous?

I will say that as a hiring manager, I don't recall ever interviewing someone who displayed no nervousness. However you express that nervousness, its usually evident to the person hiring.

I would think it is abnormal for someone to display no nervousness. And, in fact, I probably wouldn't hire someone who displayed no nervousness, as to me that would be bordering into psychopath territory.

Also, I would say that as a manager, anytime I gave someone negative feedback, I learned early on to say to the employee........"I'm sure I'm not the first person to tell you this, but you are...........whatever" 99.5% of the time, I was correct and the employee confirmed they heard this feedback before.

So, if you are overly nervous, I'm sure you've heard this before. If you aren't and haven't heard that feedback before, I wouldn't worry too much about it and just chalk it up to some fluke with this particular interviewer who may or may not know what he/she is doing.

It could also be like buyers at an open house in real estate. They are asked for feedback, so they give stupid feedback like "want a 4 br house even though they went to look at what they knew was a 3 br house."

That being said, review yourself and make sure you don't have nervous habits like tapping on the table, tapping your foot, wringing your hands, fidgeting with things etc.

If you have access to any means of mock interviews especially with video, that's the best way to tell how you come across in an interview.

I once had a mock interview where there was a question that became intentionally confrontational along a moral/ethical line. I remembered it as being offensive, but when given the feedback that I overreacted to the question, I couldn't believe that. It was only when I watched the videotape of the interview and saw myself actually push my chair back from the table like I had been slapped that I could accept the feedback.

So, take the feedback on board and come up with strategies to deflect from any nervousness you feel, but don't lose sleep over it.
I never heard that before, so Im not too worried about it. But in all honestly though, if I did get slightly nervous, it never showed before. I do not let it take over me where I cant interview since interviews arent really that bad. So thats why I am thinking it was just a fluke or she didnt know what she was doing (or maybe lack of interviewing).

Old 03-16-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by credit6 View Post
There are times when the interviewer is nervous during the interview.
I heard about people saying that before - they are the interviewer and they say they are probably more nervous than the person being interviewed.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Confidence. Being nervous made you look like you lacked confidence. There are many helpful sites online related to avoiding nervousness on job interviews.

Curious, what type of position was this that you interviewed for?
It was for a Microbiology Technician position.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:49 PM

19,972 posts, read 30,295,753 times
ive hired a lot thru the years,,,and I liked nervous applicants...because they care,,they care so much they are putting pressure on themselves

interviewing is not something most of us do a lot

so we don't get a lot of practice..

I preferred the nervous ones

what I don't like was the slow talkers and ambivalent,,,who cares attitude..like they are going thru the motions....

high achievers do get nervous...

was it a government job....and they weren't use to seeing someone that was hyped up about working and being employed?????

Old 03-16-2017, 02:00 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,813,968 times
Quote:

So whats your question?

Old 03-16-2017, 02:22 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,935,413 times
I like nerves, it shows that you care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment