Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 01:59 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times

Advertisements

Another 200 years. Actually the problem could be solved by reducing the work week. If we have only 20% of the jobs per population we can cut the workweek to one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 03:01 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
The govt could also side with the companies and just start putting people in camps on a very basic subsitance. People would either be put there from petty crimes (thresholds for felonys will decrease as govt worries about civil war). Also people could sign up to go in a camp to avoid starving etc but they woudl have to keep males and females separate to prevent more kids.
you know, that sounds an awful like what the prison system is... camp with basic subsistence due to committing crime

Old 03-18-2017, 04:09 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,116,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
you know, that sounds an awful like what the prison system is... camp with basic subsistence due to committing crime
Yep, only the thresholds for felonys that get you put there will keep getting more and more pety. That way you dont get a bad rap for human rights violations ... because they are "criminals" after all.

Keeping weed illegal is actually pretty genious because for MOST people weed makes you a useless member of society and if your poping out kids on top of that its best to have those people locked up.

Its not the weed thats the issue its the charachter of like 80% of the people who use it habitually.

Its pure genious. Find out what kind of activities the undesirables engage in, make it illegal and then selectivly enforce it.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Its pure genious. Find out what kind of activities the undesirables engage in, make it illegal and then selectivly enforce it.
the act of being poor is undesirable enforce poverty with jail time

Old 03-18-2017, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
How about everyone be given a robot(s), program them to work on a specific task (or more than one)? Then earn money from the robot's tasks? In effect, everyone becomes the supervisor of their own robot. Let's take construction for example. Management may upload the blueprints to the work robot, but they can't be around to supervise each and every millimeter of movement the robot does (i.e. make sure the robot doesn't mess up). The robot does the work, and the human inspects the robot's work.

Still, I admit this may be reaching, for how busy can you be inspecting a robot's work? So I say a basic income is more likely, with perhaps what I describe above being for people who want a bit more than "basic" income. The most workers can hope for is to have a job emphasizing "human" social-emotional skills that robots cannot imitate.
Someone would have to have the financial disapline to save up for their own robot, and actually you can do that right now. CNC machines are proliferating as well as the software to design with.

There are maker spaces poping up all over the place.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
How can they get rich when consumers can't/won't be able buy all the products they produce? Those super effieicent robots are going to produce tons of product that will sit in a warehouse, makes total sense derp
It will take a long time before enough people are unemployed before the consume base falls apart. There would have to be something like 50% unemployment before mega corps started feeling the pinch and we would likely have socail unraveling/civil war well before that.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
the act of being poor is undesirable enforce poverty with jail time
They are doing that as I type this in my town, it is now a crime to be homless and you will be locked up for it. You should apply for the federal government lol.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:21 AM

Quote:
They are doing that as I type this in my town, it is now a crime to be homless and you will be locked up for it. You should apply for the federal government lol.
too late, already in bed with them

Old 03-18-2017, 06:39 AM

119 posts, read 95,514 times
bull. My workplace(a factory) is always in short supply of workers. And yet every day somebody quits.

This is what is called the luddite fallacy. The economy continues to produce millions of jobs and will keep on producing them a century from now.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:39 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,528,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Elon Musk: Robots will take your jobs, government will have to pay your wage

In this article, Elon Musk of Tesla states that in the future that robots will take your jobs and the government will give you a monthly paycheck. There will be some that are given higher statuses if they have the skillsets to program and build robots but the rest of the population will have to live on government handouts.
I only have two words............................... THE MATRIX
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment