Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 07:42 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,958,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
But they don't know what they are talking about.........
They don't have to, they are given key points and questions on what to look for from hiring managers. If they "pass" the first stage ...they move on.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:38 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,735,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
But they don't know what they are talking about.........
I don't think it's very smart to have this kind of attitude when you speak to another person who has the ability to reject your job application right off the bat. That person will sense it and it will backfire on you.
When I screen a candidate, I not only screen the resume but also how that person comes across on the phone or in-person. Remember, technical skill is just one of many many factors to get you hired. We need to know how well you can interact with others, with end-users, with business partners, with other team members with less experience and technical knowledge, etc. You may not realize it, but some behavioural interview questions can sound irrelavant and stupid to the unsuspecting candidate. So it's to your own benefit to treat those questions as seriously as you treat your own job search effort.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:53 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I don't think it's very smart to have this kind of attitude when you speak to another person who has the ability to reject your job application right off the bat. That person will sense it and it will backfire on you.
When I screen a candidate, I not only screen the resume but also how that person comes across on the phone or in-person. Remember, technical skill is just one of many many factors to get you hired. We need to know how well you can interact with others, with end-users, with business partners, with other team members with less experience and technical knowledge, etc. You may not realize it, but some behavioural interview questions can sound irrelavant and stupid to the unsuspecting candidate. So it's to your own benefit to treat those questions as seriously as you treat your own job search effort.
agree, but in the end it is not HR's decision to make, it is the hiring manager's. Behavioral interview questions are one of the easiest ways to scare away a good candidate.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:08 AM

If people get scared off because someone is screening them....they shouldn't move on anyway.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
If people get scared off because someone is screening them....they shouldn't move on anyway.
Look, you need to be realistic here. Especially in IT a lot of people are somewhat introverted and are not going to respond well to "what would you do if I gave you an elephant" or "why is a manhole cover round" questions. You seem to be speaking like it's an employers market. Perhaps in some areas, but in IT in SoCal, it is still an employees market and I can't risk losing a good candidate because they don't fit some HR person's vision.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:08 AM

I am realistic. If someone can't handle 10 or 15 minutes on the phone giving some preliminary information for the recruiter to look at - I don't want them.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
I am realistic. If someone can't handle 10 or 15 minutes on the phone giving some preliminary information for the recruiter to look at - I don't want them.
I mean, I agree with you, but it's not your decision! You are not the hiring manager.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:19 AM

Ok...yes I see. No the screener, if you will, would obviously not.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:23 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,515,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post

IF companies are letting clerks dismiss possible candidates, they aren't being competitive. They are giving far too much power to someone who doesn't know very much about what the jobs are about.
I am very professional and polite, but I do not have patience with someone who doesn't understand my profession and throws out things that have nothing to do with my job and it has something to do with another profession, obviously showing their lack of knowledge about the two jobs.
You, as an HR person, cannot know very much about anyone on the phone, and if you think someone being polite to you is really going to tell you a lot about how someone interfaces in the workplace, you're wrong.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:27 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,515,416 times
Quote:

HR people are assuming far too much now, simply because they have a lot of candidates to choose from in some professions.

Unless you really understand what it takes to do my job, you cannot screen me.
HR can make sure they aren't hiring an axe murderer but they cannot decide on the phone if someone is a good candidate.
Some of the quietest, geeky people are the best employees and might be the smartest candidate.
If you are dismissing candidates because they won't "kiss butt" on the phone with you for 10 minutes, then the department managers are losing candidates.
A good HR person will get the information and pass it on to a hiring manager in that department. That is an HR "Recruiter", and I have run into some good ones, because they will pass me onto the manager so we can talk shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment