Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 10:37 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,424,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by indebted View Post
Thoughts?
I would never have agreed to an interview if they didn't set up the flight and hotel on their own dime in the first place. That's one way to suss out a company to see how serious they are. Because they likely aren't going to pay the salary I require if they won't even pony up for me to come out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 10:51 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,625,343 times
Quote:
I interviewed at a really large, global company. They knew that I was an out of town candidate and I flew there using my own money. In the past 10 years of interviewing, I've NEVER had a company not reimburse for out-of-town interview travels.

Taking time off work for this interview was a big waste of time because I got the feeling that they weren't serious about filling the opening and after the job rejection which came quickly, i emailed the HR person and It's dead silence. Thoughts?
Quote:
Why would they not? The candidate had to take a day off work and incur costs to make the interview. Whether the person gets hired or not should make no difference. It's a cost of doing business. I am shocked that a large, global company would try to screw me out of interview reimbursement. I've NEVER had this happen after an out of town interview.
Quote:
Going to call HR

This passive, ignoring and maybe the person will go away trick is so unprofessional and disappointing

Lost all respect for the ****ty firm and will always keep this in mind as I advance in this industry and work for competitors
My ex-wife was a Director of Human Resources for many years and I never once heard of someone retroactively requesting interview travel reimbursement AFTER the interview, and especially AFTER they are rejected as a candidate. These things are always offered up front if the position warrants it.

Were you personally contacted by the company due to a referral by a third party and REQUESTED to come for an interview, or did you apply for the position? Did the company somehow compel you to travel for this interview?

I think you are dreaming if you think a company would provide a reimbursement under this situation. If you didn't get it nailed down beforehand it's never going to happen. Sorry.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:09 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,791,878 times
Well, you can bug them all you want. Don't expect to EVER get any calls from them ever again...

Old 03-22-2017, 11:36 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,118,890 times
I've never heard of soliciting an interview from a company then asking them for travel reimbursement.

It would be one thing if they sought you out but you went after them.

Now you want to hound them about being reimbursed?

Old 03-22-2017, 12:07 PM

351 posts, read 482,681 times
Quote:
I interviewed at a really large, global company. They knew that I was an out of town candidate and I flew there using my own money. In the past 10 years of interviewing, I've NEVER had a company not reimburse for out-of-town interview travels.

Taking time off work for this interview was a big waste of time because I got the feeling that they weren't serious about filling the opening and after the job rejection which came quickly, i emailed the HR person and It's dead silence. Thoughts?

I"m sorry but you millenials, LOL.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:42 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,742,113 times
Quote:
Why would they not? The candidate had to take a day off work and incur costs to make the interview. Whether the person gets hired or not should make no difference. It's a cost of doing business. I am shocked that a large, global company would try to screw me out of interview reimbursement. I've NEVER had this happen after an out of town interview.
MORE AND MORE companies are NOT paying reimbursements to interview! They have plenty of local candidates so if you want to interview it's on your dime typically. You should have asked BEFORE the interview if you were concerned about it, not after. But I think you know this already!

Old 03-22-2017, 12:55 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,933,260 times
Quote:
No, No.. the candidate chose to take a day off and interview for this position.

Just because you failed to work out the details beforehand does not mean they are on the hook for your travel costs afterwards.

Make sure to leave "detailed oriented" off your resume.

Old 03-22-2017, 01:33 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times
I don't know why people think it's so odd for a company to pay travel for an interview. However, it should have been discussed up front. It can't hurt to call HR and ask them the process to submit your expenses, and for a large company, it should be pretty routine. But there's still a chance they will say sorry, no one authorized that.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:03 PM

19,815 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
My ex-wife was a Director of Human Resources for many years and I never once heard of someone retroactively requesting interview travel reimbursement AFTER the interview, and especially AFTER they are rejected as a candidate. These things are always offered up front if the position warrants it.

Were you personally contacted by the company due to a referral by a third party and REQUESTED to come for an interview, or did you apply for the position? Did the company somehow compel you to travel for this interview?

I think you are dreaming if you think a company would provide a reimbursement under this situation. If you didn't get it nailed down beforehand it's never going to happen. Sorry.
I'm mostly retired now, but I find some of the W&E threads entertaining because it seems that things have changed so much in the years since my husband and I were interviewing for positions. It definitely seems as though more applicants expect more even from potential employers these days!

Twenty years ago or so, if the potential employer asked for someone to fly out on their initiative (i.e., they sought someone out, and the person didn't apply on his/her own initiative), the company paid for the airfare, but seldom anything else. If someone flew out on his/her own initiative, s/he paid for everything.

(To be clear, though, I am talking about middle-management and highly-skilled technical positions, not a CEO or a very high paying position in which it is difficult to find people who have the necessary skills.)

I also agree with the opinion as to why should any company pay for anything they did not agree to pay for, and especially in the case of expenses for someone they did not hire? I think there might have been some incredulous head-shaking going at the company the OP applied to!

Old 03-22-2017, 02:12 PM

93 posts, read 65,566 times
Quote:
Going to call HR

This passive, ignoring and maybe the person will go away trick is so unprofessional and disappointing

Lost all respect for the ****ty firm and will always keep this in mind as I advance in this industry and work for competitors
Just move on. You're handling this rejection very poorly. This behavior may make you feel better in the short-term but it's not going to get you a reimbursement for your travel expenses nor is it going to help your career.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment