Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 08:58 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times

Advertisements

I have seen that happen, but I have also seen a lot of other reasons for multiple resignations. One reason is the company having poor benefits or reducing them, or not providing the budget for raises. Another problem is that someone made poor hiring decisions and the people quit after finding they cannot handle the work. It could be a bad supervisor, but sometimes a supervisor inherits bad selections made by a predecessor. In a high-performance organization, people get poached by other companies for more money. The last few resignations here have gone to Amazon or Starbucks corporate, for significantly more money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 09:23 AM

3,135 posts, read 2,259,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo775 View Post
I work for a large corporate office. One person quit after 3 months because he supposedly got another job, his replacement quit after 4 month because she couldn't handle it, next woman who replaced her lasted 7 months and couldn't catch on or handle it and walked out. Many complain about the supervisors attitude when people have questions or are struggle to understand. People have complained to her boss but she backs her up (which is understandable).
Maybe coincidence,maybe it's the job itself? Maybe your company does a poor job of hiring the best fit?

Old 03-30-2017, 10:02 AM

3,500 posts, read 2,664,329 times
With almost full employment it’s becoming more difficult to find the best people. Most companies have a 3 month probation period for new employees. I would question my supervisor why it took him 3 months and longer to identify the problem. I want to eliminate problem employees before the end of probation.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:03 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
It's not a good sign for the company, department, and supervisor if there is a lot of turnover.
Unfortunately, in some fields, management doesn't care if there is a lot of turnover and seems to almost expect it.
Idiots.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:35 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,339 times
You may not have all the facts to make this determination.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:37 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,411,405 times
Quote:

I work for a large corporate office. One person quit after 3 months because he supposedly got another job, his replacement quit after 4 month because she couldn't handle it, next woman who replaced her lasted 7 months and couldn't catch on or handle it and walked out.

Many complain about the supervisors attitude when people have questions or are struggle to understand. People have complained to her boss but she backs her up (which is understandable).
Two out of three quit because they couldn't handle the job. One out of three was looking elsewhere right after starting and left three months later. That's three out of three who wanted to get the hell out of Dodge. The first thing I'd look at is the job expectations. They might be ridiculous.

However, I wouldn't take it lightly that people have complained about the supervisor's attitude towards those who have questions or struggle.

It sounds like a terrible job combined with a terrible supervisor. The revolving door will just keep revolving. That said, even a decent supervisor wouldn't be able to stop people from leaving a terrible job. A pitiless supervisor probably just speeds up the process.

There's always a reason why some companies have high turnover, and it's always because they are awful places.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:50 PM

50,799 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Supervisors can't control corporate policies. which could be the reason people are leaving. My last job, my direct boss was fine, however we had a regional manager who was truly awful, she threw us under the bus all the time and when you needed her for something (like not having a raise show up yet in payroll) she never returned calls (and every time I have ever seen her, she was glued to her phone). My supervisor didn't have power over a lot of things, orders came from above. There is no way to tell without knowing the corporate structure.

I think a lot depends on if turnover is new and recent just since the current supervisor started, or if this is a position that has been hard for them to retain people in historically.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 03-30-2017 at 02:18 PM..

Old 03-30-2017, 12:54 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Sounds like it may be the specific position as much as the supervisor. Sometimes a person ends up taking on more than is truly reasonable but they manage to juggle it. Then when they leave, it becomes pretty much an unfillable position until it gets broken up and redistributed into multiple roles. From what I heard, that happened with my last job and they ended up splitting what I did between several people because they had no recognition of how much I was actually doing when I was there. Of course, if that's the case here and the supervisor isn't fixing it, then that's still on her.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:56 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
Quote:
I work for a large corporate office. One person quit after 3 months because he supposedly got another job, his replacement quit after 4 month because she couldn't handle it, next woman who replaced her lasted 7 months and couldn't catch on or handle it and walked out. Many complain about the supervisors attitude when people have questions or are struggle to understand. People have complained to her boss but she backs her up (which is understandable).
If it was within 1-2 days or 2 weeks, there might be some questions. But I have worked one place which I was the 15th person to quit (After 4 hours) as the supervisor was just over the top jerk and so I quit. Did they care? Not a bit. I later actually went to a different section of the company and worked for them for 6 years.

After 3 years there, I found out the supervisor was an alcoholic, got busted for DUI and left for Florida. Not a tear shed by many in the company.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
With almost full employment it’s becoming more difficult to find the best people. Most companies have a 3 month probation period for new employees. I would question my supervisor why it took him 3 months and longer to identify the problem. I want to eliminate problem employees before the end of probation.
We have a 6 month probationary period, and I have inherited people that should never have passed and had to deal with performance plans and disciplinary action. Some supervisors just don't want to deal with unpleasant tasks, or want to be everyone's friend. At a previous employer where we had over 40 people under two of us I failed several people during probation. After this many years and more freedom in hiring those I have hired here have passed, and been good workers after probation. You are right though, sometimes none of the candidates are suitable and I have had to re-open the recruitment. Many will exaggerate on the resume, or flat out make things up, and it's easy to tell with the right interview questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment