Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 01:03 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,251,052 times

Advertisements

I was never clear on the role of recruiters. I've been contacted by recruiters in the past-- they collected my information, and I never heard from them again.
I recently received an email from a recruiter representing a company I would like to work for . Are you supposed to ignore all of them, or try to verify whether they're credible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 01:09 PM

156 posts, read 123,953 times
Unfortunately, most recruiters are like that. They are basically a used car salesmen. If you're lucky you might find one that you work really well with but most are horrible. You can try and look them up on glassdoor, indeed, etc and try to find there linkedin profile of the recruiter in question. I wouldn't trust Indian recruiters as they are known to just spam everywhere to collect information. Just make sure to ask tons of questions to the recruiter and be prepared for sales like tactics.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:45 PM

1,104 posts, read 919,788 times
Recruiters have got me work in the past. A recruiter got me a very lucrative job a few years ago. They are different, and useful if you know how to use them.

Like MotoX2 says, they are like salespeople, they can be very superficial. But they are also under pressure from employers too. You can't expect them to act like a waitress and serve up jobs on a plate to your table for you.

If you sulk in, sighing and complaining how hard life is, how are you going to be taken seriously? You need to show to them that you are worth being sold to begin with.

The flipside is, you have to test them. They are companies too and they will not always do right. If they fail to perform then they will not be worth wasting your time with.

On the whole, they CAN be helpful on conditions, but you have to use them right and not expect a job the second you walk through their door.

Old 04-01-2017, 02:41 PM

607 posts, read 978,713 times
A few years ago I decided to never speak with a recruiter again. Didn't make any impact on a negative or positive side by doing things that way.

A lot of them are desperate to get paid so they collect names and post fake jobs to build their pipeline.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:37 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,251,052 times
Okay, so they aren't a scam to collect information. They're overall legitimate, but the experience varies. I'll keep that in mind.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:46 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Recruiters get paid to fill positions. They don't get paid to waste applicant's time. If one contacts you, it's worth paying attention.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:22 PM

1,020 posts, read 809,198 times
How would a recruiter get paid for collecting names?

As a former recruiter, I can tell you, it's a sales position. Compensation varies by firm, but you don't make money for the most part, until you place a candidate & the hiring company cuts you a check.

Collecting names is not a money maker, but of course it does help to have prospective candidates in your files when you have a position to fill. Legit co's do not advertise positions that don't exist. Honestly, most of them don't advertise at all, it's a word of mouth business. It has been 2 decades for me though & I'm sure things have changed, esp with cheap/free advertising avl on the internet.

The answer OP is it depends. Are you in a field where recruiters are commonly used by hiring companies? If so, get the name of the firm the recruiter is from & research whether the firm is credible. How did you get far enough for them to tell you who the hiring company is? That's not usually info that's offered until you've met the recruiter in person. It's a highly competitive business, recruiters don't generally share their clients until they've formed a relationship with you & have some level of trust going both ways.

Many recruiters are legit, but it IS a sales position & some people are good at it & are professionals & others are not. Yes, a bit like car salespeople.

If you're genuinely interested in the company they are talking to you about, I would do a little checking around on the firm. Also, if you're in a field where recruiters are common, I would think you'd have a lot of co-workers/friends who know which ones are good & which aren't (obviously you'd have to be judicious in who you share with). I would set up a meeting with them & go from there. If that firm is a legit client of theirs, the headhunter should be anxious to meet you, if your skill set is a match.

ETA: I really think it's odd that they shared the client's name with you, in an email. Are you sure it's not a recruiter from the actual hiring company? As in an HR Recruiter that works directly for the organization doing the hiring?

Old 04-01-2017, 10:22 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,708,806 times
I don't deal with recruiters anymore. I can search for jobs using the same methods they use, mostly. Networking, internet research, etc.

Old 04-02-2017, 06:44 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
How would a recruiter get paid for collecting names?
Staffing agency recruiters have contact quota. It is a performance metric. They will call and drag you into their office whether they have anything or not and they love getting manager's references for sales call mascaras inguinal as reference checks.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:42 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,843 times
Ones that read my resume and send me opportunities that are actually relevant to me are legitimate. The ones who say, "Look, an IT guy!" and send me offers of a job as a help desk technician in Sacramento for $20 an hour are spam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment