Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 08:41 PM

809 posts, read 1,331,286 times

Advertisements

https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=dentist&l=

plenty of positions here.

Contact the career services at your college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 08:46 PM

56 posts, read 56,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=dentist&l=

plenty of positions here.

Contact the career services at your college.
Dentistry is different than other fields. Career services are pretty much clueless. The positions on Indeed are not really available. Generally there are 35-45 applicants per spot and they want at least 2 years of experience...

Should I go back for an EE electrical engineering degree?

Old 04-03-2017, 08:52 PM

809 posts, read 1,331,286 times
Many jobs have 35-45 applicants. You have to interview and get the job. Friends daughter is applying for a position- over 600 applicant for 1 position.

I know several dentists. It is no different than other fields.

I'm sorry that you attended dental school where career services is clueless. When you were applying to dental school did you ask the necessary questions to ensure that you would find employment when you graduated.

I believe the Navy is looking for dentists.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
Many jobs have 35-45 applicants. You have to interview and get the job. Friends daughter is applying for a position- over 600 applicant for 1 position.

I know several dentists. It is no different than other fields.

I'm sorry that you attended dental school where career services is clueless. When you were applying to dental school did you ask the necessary questions to ensure that you would find employment when you graduated.

I believe the Navy is looking for dentists.
You believe wrong Pupmom (though many don't know the outlook of the dental field). Navy and Airforce are 130% overmanned with dentists since most of the dentists are staying in due to the uncertain private practice. Army is still taking applicants, but it's a long process(~6 months to a year) with about 150-200 applicants per spot, and only 5 spots for general dentists. I applied and was rejected.

Armed forces does offer a scholarship that leads to future employment, but you need to apply prior to dental school. After you graduate it's exceedingly improbable that you will be able to be employed with them.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:07 PM

185 posts, read 143,369 times
Dental Classified Ads : Dental Classifieds : Dental Ads : Dental Jobs

Old 04-03-2017, 09:12 PM

I have applied to most of these in my area... Without the requisite experience, my resume gets tossed in the shredder since there are at least 30 more dentists who are applying for the same position with much more experience.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:22 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
tossing in that its hard to open a practice starting out

aside from the lack of experience to get a loan, malpractice insurance would be high for someone without years of experience

most start under an established dentist/hospital, then they either join the practice as partner or take their clients with them when they do open their own (5-10 years later)

independent dentists are like the old doctors where they have their own practice and have to run it like a business, and spend more time on administrative duties than dentistry, and since they didn't go to business school, seen a few sink under the weight of becoming business owners

Old 04-03-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
tossing in that its hard to open a practice starting out

aside from the lack of experience to get a loan, malpractice insurance would be high for someone without years of experience

most start under an established dentist/hospital, then they either join the practice as partner or take their clients with them when they do open their own (5-10 years later)

independent dentists are like the old doctors where they have their own practice and have to run it like a business, and spend more time on administrative duties than dentistry, and since they didn't go to business school, seen a few sink under the weight of becoming business owners
Exactly. Would it be better to start over with an EE degree

Old 04-03-2017, 09:36 PM

269 posts, read 247,163 times
USA JOBS

Old 04-03-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyMaeB View Post
I started applying since the last two years. Rejected from every IHS, VA and BOP job post. There just isn't a need for dentists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment