Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 07:18 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Did the topic title change at some point? I'm now seeing:
Three coworkers quit in the last 2 months (companies, salaries, $30k)

$30K for programmers seems fairly low, and perhaps even insulting to developers who are experienced.

AFAIK, some foreign developers have charged less than this, but more than one company has realized the hard way they get what they pay for, and had to hire other developers to fix code and other messes that the first shop did.
I don't know, but I didn't add any of those tags (companies, salaries, $30k). No programmers here are making $30k. They pay a higher than average salary here, so it's not money that's making people leave. At all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 08:17 AM

*Another one bites the dust*
*Another one bites the dust*

Another resignation this morning. Very high-level senior guy.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:10 PM

Another resignation came in this afternoon, raising the total to 7.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:34 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,990,972 times
I write this from the employer perspective. I bought a company and in the first 6 months there people quit. In this industry it is apparently pretty common to quit without giving notice.

One guy needed more money. I thought he was going to leave, but we came to an agreement and he's still with me now. He's one of my favorites, actually. He really improved his performance and is worth the extra money. He's the only of the three that have notice.

The second guy just disappeared. To this day I have no idea what his deal is/was. He was good at his job and I liked him. He never once complained to me and I think I'm pretty easy to talk to. So, who knows what happened there.

The third was a lady who, I think, just had issues. She did not get along with the shop manager at all. At first I thought it was both of them that were the issue, however, I hired someone else right away and she has never had an issue with the manager. The new girl is awesome actually, so, win for me.

My point is that it could just be coincidence. None of these people leaving had to do with anything I could control, at least. I work hard to make my company a good place to work. I care about my employees a lot. But, that's not going to be enough for everyone.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:55 PM

156 posts, read 123,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post

My point is that it could just be coincidence. None of these people leaving had to do with anything I could control, at least. I work hard to make my company a good place to work. I care about my employees a lot. But, that's not going to be enough for everyone.
It maybe true that these people leaving you had very little control over, the problem is that when you interview a candidate and they ask you "What happen to the last employee(s)?" than what are they suppose to think? Candidates only have a short amount of time with you and don't want to walk into something that maybe not be a good fit for them.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:16 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Did the topic title change at some point? I'm now seeing:
Three coworkers quit in the last 2 months (companies, salaries, $30k)
Ignore.
Moronic C-D algorithm.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I write this from the employer perspective. I bought a company and in the first 6 months there people quit. In this industry it is apparently pretty common to quit without giving notice.

One guy needed more money. I thought he was going to leave, but we came to an agreement and he's still with me now. He's one of my favorites, actually. He really improved his performance and is worth the extra money. He's the only of the three that have notice.

The second guy just disappeared. To this day I have no idea what his deal is/was. He was good at his job and I liked him. He never once complained to me and I think I'm pretty easy to talk to. So, who knows what happened there.

The third was a lady who, I think, just had issues. She did not get along with the shop manager at all. At first I thought it was both of them that were the issue, however, I hired someone else right away and she has never had an issue with the manager. The new girl is awesome actually, so, win for me.

I don't know everyone's reasons for quitting and people don't always give a completely truthful answer when asked why they're leaving (I never do).

However, from what I've been able to gather, money had nothing to do with it. Neither did the office's location. I do know that there's been some turnover in management and one manager is definitely in deep doo-doo for reasons I won't go into here. Another manager is new and is not well-liked or respected by the people who report to him. (I don't report to either of those managers.)

Of the 7 who've left, 5 reported to one or the other of those two managers. So it could be that those guys are just really crappy bosses.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:17 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
It's possible that one or two people resigned from your company and starting working at a new company. Possibly they are referring their former coworkers to the new company. This is pretty common. Could be some poaching going on to entice workers to switch companies. All it takes is one good contact at the new company and they could siphon several employees.

Old 04-29-2017, 04:59 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
It's possible that one or two people resigned from your company and starting working at a new company. Possibly they are referring their former coworkers to the new company. This is pretty common. Could be some poaching going on to entice workers to switch companies. All it takes is one good contact at the new company and they could siphon several employees.
Or they could just be quitting. I recently left a job. I worked mostly with one unit that had around 11 people. I went on an 8-day vacation in January-early February. One put in her notice right before, one put in his notice during my trip and had his last day, and a third put in her notice the day I got back. I think only one of the three actually had a job lined up afterward.

Additionally, a few weeks before my trip, a coworker asked me what I'd do about the increasingly unmanageable workload. I said I was going to try to find a new job ASAP. He also put in notice during my trip. My unit only had 6 people. I put in my notice in early April and I think everyone else is miserable.

Management made some extremely poor decisions last year and the workload is unsustainable as a result this year. Most of the people who are leaving are the younger people who have more flexibility in terms of finding new jobs or people who can take an early retirement.

My point is, typically if that many people leave at one time, there is a reason. The reason is usually that the workplace is dysfunctional.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:28 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
My point is, typically if that many people leave at one time, there is a reason. The reason is usually that the workplace is dysfunctional.

I left a job not too long ago for the same reason. Nasty environment.

People would come in to "try out" other locations when they thought their site was bad. And then inevitably they'd say, "Nope!" And they would head back to where they came from.

I think we had four people leave in a month's span at the time I left. The fact that these high profile places don't care about the turnover boggles my mind. We're not talking about nonsense jobs---we're talking about jobs that require a lot of training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment