Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 02:39 PM

120 posts, read 97,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolenicole View Post
so i guess you feel the same way about online applications? Can't even walk into a business anymore and ask for the manager or an application. They will say "apply online".

Since everything is going digital, i don't see a problem with skype interviews.
excellent answer my point exactly!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 02:57 PM

5,028 posts, read 7,485,706 times
If you were owed a job - you might have an arguement.. but no one owes you anything in this scenerio so you either play the game or no job for you.
It's really quite simple.

Old 04-12-2017, 03:11 PM

20,549 posts, read 17,810,258 times
It depends on the employer, I have had several Skype video interviews and it's hard to make a person to person connection even with video. A lot of employers prefer in person to have a good feel of the candidate.

Movie stars don't look the same in real life so why would you trust skype.

Old 04-12-2017, 03:14 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,197,978 times
No, thank you, I have no interest in skype.

Old 04-12-2017, 03:18 PM

120 posts, read 97,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
If you were owed a job - you might have an arguement.. but no one owes you anything in this scenerio so you either play the game or no job for you.
It's really quite simple.
Technology is eliminating barriers of time zones or physical space.Nobody said they owe me a job,all im saying is time consuming for both the employer or employee.You applied the job online correc?(who walks to apply jobs now a days?)heck some companies make you fill out online tests,so why not interview me online?

Its 2017,we are moving to new boundaries this is also why alot of remote jobs are increasing.

Old 04-12-2017, 03:35 PM

11,581 posts, read 6,773,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
If the applicant isn't willing to invest a little time and energy to appear in-person for an interview, why should I waste my time on that person? Seems people want it all to be so convenient, that the next thing out of their mouth will be to ask why they can;t just stay home in their underwear and do the work remote. And american workers wonder why they are held in such low regard! You want a job? Prove you have some redeeming traits of a worker by facing me one-on-one!
This exactly! The company MIGHT Skype if you live out of state and you're relocating, but most employers want to meet you face to face. Body language tells a lot about a person, so if you're Skyping you are still missing a bigger picture of that person. I do agree it might be good for an initial interview, but I would think all final interviews would be in person regardless! If you're looking for jobs that are not close to you, expect to drive or even fly!

Old 04-12-2017, 07:17 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,505,331 times
I disagree.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:12 PM

13,148 posts, read 21,129,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerissomeguyxx209 View Post
So lets say i applied for 40 jobs,and 10 of them call me for job interviews,different day and time,and into day's society that is a waste of money.

And of course I want a job,but why should I keep wasting gas money if you guys aren't calling back?why call someone you aren't gonna hire?Wouldn't it be easier on YOU,calling people YOU gonna hire?

If you want them to dress nice,tell them on the skype interview

ps:I do remote work and i do wear my boxers is great though
And why do employers have to care about your personal finances?

If you want us to care, stop whining like babies when we want to see your credit report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleNicole View Post
So I guess you feel the same way about online applications? Can't even walk into a business anymore and ask for the manager or an application. They will say "Apply online".

Since everything is going digital, I don't see a problem with Skype interviews.
So what? You want the job, you do it the way they want. Who give a rats rear how applicants want their interviews to be conducted. It seems today's employee generation can't even interact with humans anymore.

What's next, demanding company paid leave to marry your smartphone?

Old 04-12-2017, 09:43 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,821,095 times
I wish they would just do interviews by online chat since applications are online..or maybe give you a choice on how you want to do it (since I know some people aren't as good at writing) but I know that will never happen. Still I don't see how I'm ever going to get a job the way the system is, even with professional coaching it's more difficult than it should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
This exactly! The company MIGHT Skype if you live out of state and you're relocating, but most employers want to meet you face to face. Body language tells a lot about a person, so if you're Skyping you are still missing a bigger picture of that person. I do agree it might be good for an initial interview, but I would think all final interviews would be in person regardless! If you're looking for jobs that are not close to you, expect to drive or even fly!
It does on my end. On your end of course it still does but not things you should rule me out over...like if you're judging me on the way I shake your hand that's pretty stupid especially compared to the president's handshake mine ain't even that bad anymore.

You're missing a big picture of me by meeting me face to face. The bigger picture is in my writing because that's where most of me comes out, even in a professional setting where I would not share some of my viewpoints because when I write I can take more time to say what I need to say. Of course I'm not saying we need to do the job itself online just in an interview where I would be extremely judged.
I don't know about video chat. You might have a point there or it might be the same thing but Skype also offers instant messaging.

Besides if companies shared your concern like other people on the thread said they wouldn't do those stupid etiquette tests on online applications. They don't care about that stuff..they just want someone who can lie a lot of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
And why do employers have to care about your personal finances?

If you want us to care, stop whining like babies when we want to see your credit report.

So what? You want the job, you do it the way they want. Who give a rats rear how applicants want their interviews to be conducted. It seems today's employee generation can't even interact with humans anymore.

What's next, demanding company paid leave to marry your smartphone?

I don't know if you're serious with this or just trolling but if you are serious, it's not just "whining" as you call it when you've been long term unemployed and nobody will give you a chance because of impossible/nearly impossible qualifications to follow but I'm glad you think depression is just whining (you must be a very charming person) A credit report should be low on the list. So what? I went to online college..big whoop especially since do you know why I have that debt on my account? It couldn't really be partially the employers' fault could it? I mean without a job I can easily pay off my loans because I got money growing out my ears. Did you know? Meanwhile some of you will hire real criminals due to the tax break. What's next you're going to look at my father's credit report and hold that against me too?
I also have a disability so if I don't meet your standards in in person interviews because I stuttered or whatever (yes one interviewer said that was his concern), of course I can't interact in the way you want me to. It's like I'm sorry my genetics don't please you because they are defective..must be nice to be perfect. This is discrimination yet employers get away with it all the time because they usually pretend it's another reason.

Employers are bad at assessing people often hiring incompetent workers or worse yet ones with no compassion...yet we job seekers are the ones in the wrong.

Last edited by Nickchick; 04-12-2017 at 10:09 PM..

Old 04-12-2017, 11:44 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,496,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerissomeguyxx209 View Post
For simple reason WHY call someone to drive 2 or 3 hours(depending on where you applied)for interview they may or may not get?To make it easier why not do through skype or video interview?Then if the person is hired he or she can go to the building.I dont know about you guys bu I have applied for jobs and went to their offices,and its a waste of gas and money(although I do use uber)still waste of money.Granted their is a 50/50 chance to get the job,but I'd rather only go their with the job already secured.
It should still be the norm that they pay for your expenses, so the only issue should really be time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment