Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 07:52 PM

9 posts, read 9,451 times

Advertisements

I have a story to tell, I interviewed a guy on Webex and there were red flags I did not catch earlier, but turns out the guy was lip syncing to another person speaking using a headphone splitter. When I asked them to replay back to a question I typed he could not. Finally my boss said he has seen this before as he had to fire 2 people earlier who turned out not to be the one that he spoke to when they showed up. This is in IT.

I was shocked. But now I know. So I am still willing to do skype but am more careful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 07:55 PM

28,697 posts, read 18,861,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichplace View Post
I have a story to tell, I interviewed a guy on Webex and there were red flags I did not catch earlier, but turns out the guy was lip syncing to another person speaking using a headphone splitter. When I asked them to replay back to a question I typed he could not. Finally my boss said he has seen this before as he had to fire 2 people earlier who turned out not to be the one that he spoke to when they showed up. This is in IT.

I was shocked. But now I know. So I am still willing to do skype but am more careful
Even then, you don't know he doesn't have an off-screen coach.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:06 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,371,018 times
I have had in person, Skype and phone interviews and have been hired after all three types (in person the most), with only a single method used in the hiring process. I'm in science support/research. I guess I like the in person interviews, but if the job is across the country and/or world and they want to offer just a phone interview or Skype or both, I'm fine with that as well.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:39 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,154,841 times
Because if you are serious about a hire, you need to see the whole person, and you need the whole situation - especially because with telephone or Skype, the matter of pauses is handled differently. You might be alert of nuances of how a person comports himself. Or how he shakes hands. And in part it's necessary to get the person off his home territory.

Old 04-14-2017, 01:16 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,866,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I wish they would just do interviews by online chat since applications are online..or maybe give you a choice on how you want to do it (since I know some people aren't as good at writing) but I know that will never happen. Still I don't see how I'm ever going to get a job the way the system is, even with professional coaching it's more difficult than it should be.

It does on my end. On your end of course it still does but not things you should rule me out over...like if you're judging me on the way I shake your hand that's pretty stupid especially compared to the president's handshake mine ain't even that bad anymore.

You're missing a big picture of me by meeting me face to face. The bigger picture is in my writing because that's where most of me comes out, even in a professional setting where I would not share some of my viewpoints because when I write I can take more time to say what I need to say. Of course I'm not saying we need to do the job itself online just in an interview where I would be extremely judged.
I don't know about video chat. You might have a point there or it might be the same thing but Skype also offers instant messaging.

Besides if companies shared your concern like other people on the thread said they wouldn't do those stupid etiquette tests on online applications. They don't care about that stuff..they just want someone who can lie a lot of the time.

I don't know if you're serious with this or just trolling but if you are serious, it's not just "whining" as you call it when you've been long term unemployed and nobody will give you a chance because of impossible/nearly impossible qualifications to follow but I'm glad you think depression is just whining (you must be a very charming person) A credit report should be low on the list. So what? I went to online college..big whoop especially since do you know why I have that debt on my account? It couldn't really be partially the employers' fault could it? I mean without a job I can easily pay off my loans because I got money growing out my ears. Did you know? Meanwhile some of you will hire real criminals due to the tax break. What's next you're going to look at my father's credit report and hold that against me too?
I also have a disability so if I don't meet your standards in in person interviews because I stuttered or whatever (yes one interviewer said that was his concern), of course I can't interact in the way you want me to. It's like I'm sorry my genetics don't please you because they are defective..must be nice to be perfect. This is discrimination yet employers get away with it all the time because they usually pretend it's another reason.

Employers are bad at assessing people often hiring incompetent workers or worse yet ones with no compassion...yet we job seekers are the ones in the wrong.
Let me get this straight - you want to be judged for hiring based on your writing ability? If this posting is any example, you definitely do not want to be judged on your writing.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:53 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,267,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
The arguments for Skype are weak at best.

Companies invest a lot of money in hiring people. Advertising can cost thousands, and the hiring manager invests many hours for all but the most entry level positions. Having a recruiter on staff also adds cost, albeit indirect. Yet the OP is complaining about a few dollars in gas?

As a candidate, I want to see my potential future work environment. Is it clean and well maintained? Do employees look happy, or harassed and discontent? How do I get there and what will the commute be like?

Video conferencing is fine for many things, but hiring is far to serious a task, with tremendous consequences for all if it goes badly, to cut corners.
Yes to the bolded! Interviews are a two way street - I need to assess whether I think it's a good fit for me, not just the employer deciding whether they want to offer me a job. I think Skype or a phone call is a good tool for an initial screening interview but after that, I definitely need to see things in person for my own decision making.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:38 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,487,704 times
If it's only a 2 to 3 hour drive, then I don't see why Skype would be "required". Several posters have already said they'd want to see how the interviewee conducts themselves in person, their mannerisms, dress code, habits, etc. Frankly, unless this were a position where I'm working remotely, I'd want to come in and see what the place is like, what the people are like etc. Is the place dirty? Are what will be my coworkers look like they're in a sweat shop? Are floor spaces cramped? Are they open spaces where it's noisy?

I didn't do an in-person interview for one job because it was over 700 miles away, and it seems they didn't want to pay me to fly out there, or cover my driving expenses, so they just offered the job without doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
People do things to benefit THEMSELVES. Doing an interview remotely helps YOU, not the company. That is unless they are paying to have you come in and it would save them gas expense, etc.

If you don't want to drive 2 hours to interview, if you're offered the job then what are the chances you'll pick up and move in order to take it?
If someone has a written job offer, then that's a much better case. Most are advised not to sell the home and move prior to that. 2 to 3 hours of someone's time, then double that to get back, is still valuable. If you keep doing that, that's what could end up being hundreds of dollars of salary in no time.

Another situation is some folks do prefer to stay within the same region, so there's always a chance the candidate can say no, but that IS their right. Plus, if a company is trying to recruit from 2 to 3 hours away, then it shows they're more desperate to find candidates, and that's a risk they need to deal with.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:22 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,921,120 times
Seems that every body here is on a agreement that we should be playing the game that business owners make up daily. Well it is a 2 way street. Just because you own a business doesnt mean your better than the person whom your looking for to fill a position. With the technology today, yes YOU CAN but why would you, after all its your business, do some video chat just to get a "feel" for the person. Even a 5 min video just to go over their skills will help you out. The same point is, when a applicant comes in to your office and ask for a application, give them a hard copy and take it. Sending them to the web, your competing against thousands, and what is one hard copy going to do vs the internet? O yea those stupid personality tests that you want them to take? If the person is in presentable dress, and ready to do a interview, do it. Never know how it might turn out. Put them on the spot and see how they respond. I would rather fill out a hard copy and do a interview on the spot, vs filling out a 20 page application online and waist 2 hours for that personality test, when you can do a quick interview on the spot. Save me time and gas, and you resources. We can all "play the game" but if your hiring, than hire somebody. One thing i cant stand is seeing same help wanted ad when you had 1k people applying for the job. Are you really that picky?

Old 04-15-2017, 04:13 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,078,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
...when a applicant comes in to your office and ask for a application, give them a hard copy and take it.

...If the person is in presentable dress, and ready to do a interview, do it. Never know how it might turn out. Put them on the spot and see how they respond.

... do a interview on the spot,

...Save me time and gas, and you resources.

... if your hiring, than hire somebody.
You don't get it. At all.

I don't have the time available to drop everything I am doing and conduct interviews at random times every time somebody strolls through the door with a resume. It's really, really inefficient. I have many things to do during the day, and I would much rather look at qualified applicantations as a group so that I can choose the best 3-5 from this who applied.

This gives all applicants a fair shot, because I judge them all equally.

Then I hire somebody.

You seem to want a system that you think will give you an advantage over other applicants. As a manager, I don't care what you want. Sorry to be blunt, but it is true. I want to hire the best applicant for the position, while using the least amount of time and effort on my part. I want the best applicant, because I want my division to to the best possible job. There is zero incentive for me to talk to random people off the street, who have not been screened for minimum qualifications, who feel entitled to talk to me at their whim.

Old 04-15-2017, 04:41 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,267,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Seems that every body here is on a agreement that we should be playing the game that business owners make up daily. Well it is a 2 way street. Just because you own a business doesnt mean your better than the person whom your looking for to fill a position. With the technology today, yes YOU CAN but why would you, after all its your business, do some video chat just to get a "feel" for the person. Even a 5 min video just to go over their skills will help you out. The same point is, when a applicant comes in to your office and ask for a application, give them a hard copy and take it. Sending them to the web, your competing against thousands, and what is one hard copy going to do vs the internet? O yea those stupid personality tests that you want them to take? If the person is in presentable dress, and ready to do a interview, do it. Never know how it might turn out. Put them on the spot and see how they respond. I would rather fill out a hard copy and do a interview on the spot, vs filling out a 20 page application online and waist 2 hours for that personality test, when you can do a quick interview on the spot. Save me time and gas, and you resources. We can all "play the game" but if your hiring, than hire somebody. One thing i cant stand is seeing same help wanted ad when you had 1k people applying for the job. Are you really that picky?
Reality check here, but your post is full of grammar and spelling errors. If this is an example of what you are putting in employment applications, that's why you are being ruled out, not because the employer is excessively picky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment