Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 12:39 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,212,723 times

Advertisements

Your interviewer is judging a lot of other things when you come in. Can you be expected to arrive on time? Do you have transportation? Are you polite to the receptionist? Do you dress appropriately? Can you handle unfamiliar situations?
And sorry yes if you are too lazy to show up to the interview you are too lazy for me to bother with. Showing up for work is the easiest thing you would be asked to do once employed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 05:52 AM

5,025 posts, read 7,461,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
Your interviewer is judging a lot of other things when you come in. Can you be expected to arrive on time? Do you have transportation? Are you polite to the receptionist? Do you dress appropriately? Can you handle unfamiliar situations?
And sorry yes if you are too lazy to show up to the interview you are too lazy for me to bother with. Showing up for work is the easiest thing you would be asked to do once employed.
Great post!

OP: You are asking someone for something and wanting to dictate to them exactly how they give it to you and they are under no obligation to give it to you at all.
You are the one in need.
Don't you see how this thread comes across as being self entitled?

Old 04-13-2017, 06:08 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,062,783 times
The arguments for Skype are weak at best.

Companies invest a lot of money in hiring people. Advertising can cost thousands, and the hiring manager invests many hours for all but the most entry level positions. Having a recruiter on staff also adds cost, albeit indirect. Yet the OP is complaining about a few dollars in gas?

As a candidate, I want to see my potential future work environment. Is it clean and well maintained? Do employees look happy, or harassed and discontent? How do I get there and what will the commute be like?

Video conferencing is fine for many things, but hiring is far to serious a task, with tremendous consequences for all if it goes badly, to cut corners.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:44 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,143,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Great post!

OP: You are asking someone for something and wanting to dictate to them exactly how they give it to you and they are under no obligation to give it to you at all.
You are the one in need.
Don't you see how this thread comes across as being self entitled?
This is your second post that completely sides with the employer. It's OK for low-skill jobs but remember that employers spend a ton of money trying to find top candidates. Do you really want to give an F-U attitude to a talented person on a hard-to-fill position?

I was always taught that interviews were for both parties to decide if they are a good fit for each other. But too often employers seem to give applicants no reason to work for them. If John Doe has been making $200K a year on bonuses selling for Monsanto, don't you think Dow Chemical would want to woo him a bit? They'd be foolish no to...

Old 04-13-2017, 08:19 AM

28,687 posts, read 18,825,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerissomeguyxx209 View Post
So lets say i applied for 40 jobs,and 10 of them call me for job interviews
Be ecstatic.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:08 AM

5,025 posts, read 7,461,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
This is your second post that completely sides with the employer. It's OK for low-skill jobs but remember that employers spend a ton of money trying to find top candidates. Do you really want to give an F-U attitude to a talented person on a hard-to-fill position?

I was always taught that interviews were for both parties to decide if they are a good fit for each other. But too often employers seem to give applicants no reason to work for them. If John Doe has been making $200K a year on bonuses selling for Monsanto, don't you think Dow Chemical would want to woo him a bit? They'd be foolish no to...
Not so much that I'm siding with the employer.
It does make my hair stand on end reading various posts where people come across as "owed" something...makes me crazy... start your own company if you have all the answers.

Then again I'm not the person who agrees with the whole "everyone gets a trophy just for showing up".

Of course things depends on how hard the job is to fill.
Of course interviews are a (2) way street.

The OP came across to me as the job they're looking for is not a specialty position.
Therefore the employer calls the shots.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:36 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,512,640 times
I experienced an interesting phenomena not as the candidate but as one of the interviewers of a Skype interview.

At where I work we do group interviews and we interviewed 5 people for a job. There were 6 of us on the interview committee.

Two of the applicants used Skype because they were living in different cities than the hiring city. The first candidate was picked and she declined the job because it did not pay enough. Her interview had been thru Skype and she came across really well. I can't recall if we met her in person after she was picked and then she declined but I think that was the case.

The 2nd candidate picked from an in person interview declined and that left the 3rd pick who took the job. Her interview had been on Skype.

She showed up for the job and was the most uninspired new person at a job I have ever seen in my life. You know how the new person is usually sort of energized and excited? This woman had no pulse, she was like a "bug on a rug", she would not look up when you approached and her job was mostly customer service! She was a doormat!

None of this could be seen by her interview! I think because it was on Skpe we just saw her appear and sit there and answer the questions and she seemed competent. We could not tell that she was so slow and uninspired using virtual means.

So that experience for me was a real eye opener. After working here for 5 months, rarely looking up, never smiling, looking glum and getting to know no one-she quit.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:38 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,399,542 times
People do things to benefit THEMSELVES. Doing an interview remotely helps YOU, not the company. That is unless they are paying to have you come in and it would save them gas expense, etc.

If you don't want to drive 2 hours to interview, if you're offered the job then what are the chances you'll pick up and move in order to take it?

Old 04-13-2017, 01:21 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,395,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerissomeguyxx209 View Post
For simple reason WHY call someone to drive 2 or 3 hours(depending on where you applied)for interview they may or may not get?To make it easier why not do through skype or video interview?Then if the person is hired he or she can go to the building.I dont know about you guys bu I have applied for jobs and went to their offices,and its a waste of gas and money(although I do use uber)still waste of money.Granted their is a 50/50 chance to get the job,but I'd rather only go their with the job already secured.
Wouldn't you have to drive 2-3 hours to go to work everyday anyway?

The purpose of an interview is to impress the potential employer with your credentials and how you conduct yourself in person. The interviewer wants to see what kind of etiquette you have in the office - how you conduct yourself . Does their potential employee slouch, lean on your desk, wear frayed clothing, smell bad, and so on.

Old 04-13-2017, 02:26 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,258,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
And why do employers have to care about your personal finances?

So what? You want the job, you do it the way they want.
X1000.

Gas money. Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment