Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2017, 09:22 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I never think "oh crap" when I see the word sure.
My point is, it doesn't give much context.

What bothers me is if I write a fairly detailed message or email and get back one word. It does feel like I care far more then they do.

I wouldn't have called anyone on it. But I think this is easy for the OP to rectify. Just be more professional in her communications with her boss from now on. Easy peasy.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:30 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
My point is, it doesn't give much context.

What bothers me is if I write a fairly detailed message or email and get back one word. It does feel like I care far more then they do.

I wouldn't have called anyone on it. But I think this is easy for the OP to rectify. Just be more professional in her communications with her boss from now on. Easy peasy.
My advice to the OP is if your boss does not have enough couth to communicate with you during business hours then her professional reply will have to wait until the next business day.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:33 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Language is a lot more complicated than a dictionary. Let me guess, you are very young and not have much life experiences.

Here, let me give you an English to French dictionary. Can you now make business negotiations in France?

Whether you like it or not, in the professional world, "sure" in certain context is generally perceived as "yeah yeah, whatever... "

You can either try to learn as much as you can from your teacher or you can act like a brat. Your choice.
"Let me guess, you are very young and not have much life experiences."

With stilted English like this, perhaps you're the one who needs the dictionary.

I'd advise you to to take my advice and "not talk like caveman", but you probably won't.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:38 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberEllie View Post
I responded to her letting me know she would be out of the office next week and she asked if I would work later on some days. I responded back "sure " and she said she doesn't like the word because its a word that says "I don't give a crap" ..

Uh what?
You've received a variety of opinions as to whether or not using the word 'sure' is appropriate.

What comes to my mind is if one would walk on eggshells going forward - wondering what choice of words/phrases used next would be deemed inappropriate.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:55 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
You've received a variety of opinions as to whether or not using the word 'sure' is appropriate.

What comes to my mind is if one would walk on eggshells going forward - wondering what choice of words/phrases used next would be deemed inappropriate.
And that's what a person who gets upset by the word sure wants. They want and expect you to read their minds to know what you can and can't say. I have to time for petty people like that.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:43 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,027,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
The reply was "Sure " ....not "Sure".

Apparently Miss OH-So-Professional Boss missed emoji class in her MBA school while she was learning to TEXT her important requests at 9:30 at night.
My boss also texts that late at night. But it remains the same, I still offer a yes or no to a yes or no question.
The clock doesn't gauge my professionalism. Am I unprofessional in other ways? Quite possibly so this means nothing except my opinion is.. as it is.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
It appears you, like the manager, don't know the meaning of the word "sure."
ii appears no such thing

Old 04-30-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Wow. Seems like she is touchy. I would readjust my communications.....And send another message saying, Yes, please let me know what days and hours.

She is your boss, quirks will have to be accepted.
spot on

Old 04-30-2017, 12:37 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
The thing I would like to know is, must the OP expect to receive more late-night, off-hours text messages? That seems to me at least as much of an issue, and probably much more of one, than the question of whether or not "sure" is an appropriate response.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:38 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
LOL. That's not government you're talking about.
Power is power, whether it's on a small scale or large scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The OP is not "at fault" but the issue simply isn't significant enough to have held any ire long enough to have vented online about it. Totally a "first world" problem.
I disagree. Although "sure" versus "yes" is in itself an insignificant issue, it does point out the larger issues of inequality and inappropriate use of power in the workplace. These imbalances are found all over the world and we always have to be vigilant because lots of problems happen when the imbalances get out of control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment