Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2017, 12:50 PM

855 posts, read 624,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
i guess if some of you were to work in healthcare, none of you would be complaining about the timing of the boss' text. in our facility, even though we're not doctors, we're always on call if an employee suddenly calls in sick. sometimes that employee might call the boss at night (like 10pm) or very early in the day like 6am, and the rest of the team gets a text from the boss/team leader about covering that employee's caseload at the times indicated--particularly if that sick employee is the one handling a very early task in the morning, earlier than when the rest of the team starts.

and this is the therapy department i'm talking about. imagine if it were the nursing department where any employee at ANY shift could call in sick.
Well that's just it. If someone isn't into dealing with work-related calls/texts
after hours, they likely won't gravitate towards the kinds of jobs which require
that. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't have the impression that the OP is in that
kind of work.

-

Old 05-03-2017, 12:57 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,903,157 times
I lost count of how many times FBI Director Comey responded with "SURE" this morning testifying to Congress.

Nobody was offended.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:05 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,796,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I love your boss!!!

A woman looking out for another woman and trying to shape her into a professional who wants to be respected. Dead fish handshakes definitely don't command respect. It's too bad that you see it as her being crazy.

This is surely why so many women cannot compete with men in business ... but some sure can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberEllie View Post
I have been working since I was 16 so please get off your high horse. I have been in this type of role for 12 years. This woman is nuts. I have had a great boss in the past role. This woman is a control freak.

And it sure sounds unlikely that you will ever be promoted beyond administrative tasks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I lost count of how many times FBI Director Comey responded with "SURE" this morning testifying to Congress.

Nobody was offended.

Sure, see how long he keeps that job.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:09 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kophi View Post
You do realize that this is a boss in a secular establishment, not ruler-wielding Sister Mary Gretchen from 1970s private school, right?

-
Again, i don't think it was the word itself. I think if OP had answered "Sure, I'm available to work late Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday for as long as you need me" her boss would not have responded that way. She felt the "sure" with no follow up to be non-committal and hollow. We do not know the history of OP and her boss either, or whether or not she has a pattern of not showing initiative or wanting to do extra things. Again, I highly doubt this came out of nowhere and she's just that persnickety about words.

[CENTER]SaveSave[/CENTER]

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 05-03-2017 at 01:39 PM..

Old 05-03-2017, 01:09 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,071,771 times
I'm curious. For those of you who feel "sure" is a positive answer; how would you feel if you asked the following questions and "sure" was the response?

You ask,
"Did you take the garbage out?"
"Did you do your homework?"
"Will you take care of me after my surgery?"
"Do you love me?"
"Will you marry me?"
"Do you promise to be honest with me?"
"Do you promise to be faithful to me?"

They answer, "sure".

Old 05-03-2017, 01:12 PM

385 posts, read 345,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post

Nobody was offended.
I wouldn't be holding up Comey as a shining example of propriety.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:43 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,845,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I'm curious. For those of you who feel "sure" is a positive answer; how would you feel if you asked the following questions and "sure" was the response?

You ask,
"Did you take the garbage out?"
"Did you do your homework?"
"Will you take care of me after my surgery?"
"Do you love me?"
"Will you marry me?"
"Do you promise to be honest with me?"
"Do you promise to be faithful to me?"

They answer, "sure".
I'd be perfectly fine - why not? It's a much more positive answer than "yes."

Old 05-03-2017, 01:53 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kophi View Post
Maybe, but, having been both myself -- salaried when I was less mature and now
hourly as a more mature person -- being contacted at 9:30 at night strikes me as
something of an imposition. As I mentioned in a previous post, the boss should
consider herself lucky she got an affirmative response at all (if any) at that point.

-
Oh, I agree. I was on the OP's side in this - especially considering the time of the text. But when I saw how she responded on here using emojis instead of words with strangers, it made me realize that her boss has a point about her communication skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
i guess if some of you were to work in healthcare, none of you would be complaining about the timing of the boss' text. in our facility, even though we're not doctors, we're always on call if an employee suddenly calls in sick. sometimes that employee might call the boss at night (like 10pm) or very early in the day like 6am, and the rest of the team gets a text from the boss/team leader about covering that employee's caseload at the times indicated--particularly if that sick employee is the one handling a very early task in the morning, earlier than when the rest of the team starts.

and this is the therapy department i'm talking about. imagine if it were the nursing department where any employee at ANY shift could call in sick.

Ok sure...but we don't work in healthcare?? And neither does the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberEllie View Post
You seem mad.
What? Not at all.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:42 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,415,814 times
Communication is a two way street, what you mean matters but what the hearer understands is more so. If you knew she took this word a different way, be an adult and do something simple to be sure you communicate. Say Yes not sure. Is that so hard? what path do you take at work when something more difficult to do is required? Do it your way too? Get over the small stuff that is an affront to you when it does not properly communicate to another

Old 05-03-2017, 04:56 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,355,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post

Ok sure...but we don't work in healthcare?? And neither does the OP.

glad that the OP doesn't. the healthcare profession will fare better without people of her attitude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment