Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2017, 09:55 PM

102 posts, read 79,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
I didn't see anyone ridiculing the OP for being in Admin, in fact we spent a good 15 pages asking her what type of position she was in & what industry, so as to gauge the level of professionalism required in her field. I'm not going back through all of it, but I think it was around page 20 when she finally answered 1 of the questions.

The OP is so invested in being right & being defensive, that she can't see that the boss is actually taking an interest in her & trying to mentor her. The boss after the first incident gave her a coaching session on handshakes, which OP posted about. Most people would see that as a sign that the boss is trying to mentor her for bigger & better things. Believe it or not some female bosses like to mentor female employees & groom them for mgmt & that's what I see happening here. The boss feels she's not quite ready for prime-time & is trying to help the OP get there, presumably so that there may be a promotion in her future. But the OP is resisting every attempt by arguing & making emoji faces like a 12yo would at anyone who tries to point this out to her. It's sad really. Chances are if she opened herself up to constructive criticism, there would be a promotion in her future. But it's hard to take seriously anyone who replies to sincere, thoughtful answers with snark & emojis.
I don't want to be promoted to management. She's not a mentor. She's a control freak. I'm sorry you have a problem with emojis.

Old 05-06-2017, 03:13 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,845,423 times
As long as this looks like it could go on for a while, would someone in the "'Sure' is inappropriate" school please advise when, where and how it became so? I find no dictionary that relegates it to slang or colloquial usage, so what's the problem?

(Simply stating that the boss doesn't like it is non-responsive.)

Old 05-06-2017, 07:56 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
I didn't see anyone ridiculing the OP for being in Admin, in fact we spent a good 15 pages asking her what type of position she was in & what industry, so as to gauge the level of professionalism required in her field. I'm not going back through all of it, but I think it was around page 20 when she finally answered 1 of the questions.

The OP is so invested in being right & being defensive, that she can't see that the boss is actually taking an interest in her & trying to mentor her. The boss after the first incident gave her a coaching session on handshakes, which OP posted about. Most people would see that as a sign that the boss is trying to mentor her for bigger & better things. Believe it or not some female bosses like to mentor female employees & groom them for mgmt & that's what I see happening here. The boss feels she's not quite ready for prime-time & is trying to help the OP get there, presumably so that there may be a promotion in her future. But the OP is resisting every attempt by arguing & making emoji faces like a 12yo would at anyone who tries to point this out to her. It's sad really. Chances are if she opened herself up to constructive criticism, there would be a promotion in her future. But it's hard to take seriously anyone who replies to sincere, thoughtful answers with snark & emojis.
I agree with you, and hope OP sees this, but since you didn't back her up and validate her, she probably blocked you. This is the maturity level we are talking about.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:01 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
As long as this looks like it could go on for a while, would someone in the "'Sure' is inappropriate" school please advise when, where and how it became so? I find no dictionary that relegates it to slang or colloquial usage, so what's the problem?

I wrote several posts explaining my take on it, and I believe it has more to do with a one-word answer instead of OP telling her what nights she could work late...again, the one word "sure" with no detail came off to boss as non-committal and hollow. It is OP who wrote the wording in her post, we don't even know what the exact wording of the text was. Boss didn't like her answer, wasn't the word specifically IMO. if she had answered "yes" with no follow up detail, I believe boss would have been just as annoyed.

If my boss texts me and asks if I can work late any nights this week to help her out, I'm going to respond with "yes" and THEN the days and hours I can offer her, THAT is what boss was looking for IMO. What does "sure" mean? Does it mean OP will work late every single night for as long as she's needed? Only certain days or certain hours, is every day the same? This one-word answer IMO did not tell boss how much help she can count on from OP in a specific enough way that boss knew she was covered or whether she had to seek more coverage.

Again, this is not in isolation, but part of a pattern of bosses feeling OP does not have a professional demeanor at work.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I agree with you, and hope OP sees this, but since you didn't back her up and validate her, she probably blocked you. This is the maturity level we are talking about.

Actually I didn't block her. But you go on being hostile. Have a nice day!

Old 05-06-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I wrote several posts explaining my take on it, and I believe it has more to do with a one-word answer instead of OP telling her what nights she could work late...again, the one word "sure" with no detail came off to boss as non-committal and hollow. It is OP who wrote the wording in her post, we don't even know what the exact wording of the text was. Boss didn't like her answer, wasn't the word specifically IMO. if she had answered "yes" with no follow up detail, I believe boss would have been just as annoyed.

If my boss texts me and asks if I can work late any nights this week to help her out, I'm going to respond with "yes" and THEN the days and hours I can offer her, THAT is what boss was looking for IMO. What does "sure" mean? Does it mean OP will work late every single night for as long as she's needed? Only certain days or certain hours, is every day the same? This one-word answer IMO did not tell boss how much help she can count on from OP in a specific enough way that boss knew she was covered or whether she had to seek more coverage.

Again, this is not in isolation, but part of a pattern of bosses feeling OP does not have a professional demeanor at work.

Maybe you have a reading comprehension problem but I had the same boss for 12 years and I've only had two other jobs in my whole life and I'm nearly 30..

If a person is going to base an entire work ethic on one text message they clearly have some screws loose.

My life is amazing. Life is too short to work for a nut 50 hours a week.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:28 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,071,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post

My two cents, adjust for inflation.
It became more negative when teens started using it sarcastically. Think of the word, "whatever" and then think of an angsty teen answering, with rolling eyes, and sarcasm. "Sure" is in that same category. "Really?!" has gone that way too.

I did a quick search, most dictionaries show sure as affirmative as slang/colloquial usage. And the examples used were more of a "sure, I can do that" or something like that...versus the actual definition usage which goes more like, "he sure is a proud american".

Old 05-06-2017, 11:32 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,071,771 times
Quote:

I was thinking more along the lines of...I wouldn't want my admin to misrepresent me. The admin is a reflection of the boss, the first person a "client" (internal/external) sees and deals with. I'd definitely want my admin to be on the same page as me. It seems like the OP and her boss are not on the same page. I do hope the OP finds a better working condition for herself. Regardless if the boss is harsh or helping, not all people take kindly to things like that.

Old 05-06-2017, 12:12 PM

855 posts, read 624,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
My two cents, adjust for inflation.
It became more negative when teens started using it sarcastically. Think of the word, "whatever" and then think of an angsty teen answering, with rolling eyes, and sarcasm. "Sure" is in that same category. "Really?!" has gone that way too.

I did a quick search, most dictionaries show sure as affirmative as slang/colloquial usage. And the examples used were more of a "sure, I can do that" or something like that...versus the actual definition usage which goes more like, "he sure is a proud american".
This might touch upon where the boss made her mistake (or her other one, in
addition to the timing of her communications). The written word can be so easily
misread, with the reader misapplying emotions that weren't present in the writer.
She probably should have called the OP to conduct that business, rather than
merely texting (which seems rather casual in and of itself).

Old 05-06-2017, 12:46 PM

1,020 posts, read 809,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberEllie View Post
I don't want to be promoted to management. She's not a mentor. She's a control freak. I'm sorry you have a problem with emojis.
None of us know your boss. Perhaps she's not a mentor & she is 'just' a control freak. Or perhaps it's what Psichick mentioned, that she considers her Admin representative of her & she has a more formal & professional demeanor. Doesn't much matter since she's the boss. She's not a mind reader, so if she is trying to mentor you, there's no way she would know you have no interest in a promotion, unless you tell her. Which of course will make it seem to her, that you have no ambition.

I have no problem with emojis, when used in the correct context. By using them here to respond to everyone you don't agree with, people who have treated you with respect & taken their time & effort to help you, they not only add nothing to the conversation, but they make it very clear why your boss is behaving as she is. You are making her point for her.

I hope you find a new job that makes you happy with a boss who will know that you are always right. B/C obviously you & this boss are not going to see eye to eye & in employment, when that happens, it's up to the Admin to adjust to the boss's expectations & not vice versa.

Last edited by MsMetal; 05-06-2017 at 02:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment