Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2017, 02:26 PM

229 posts, read 240,883 times

Advertisements

I didn't get the memo saying sure is not a good word. To me that is a very positive way to answer.

I ran into a problem with fine. I thought that was a good word but apparently now fine means there is a problem.

Also engaged is bad now I guess. A co-worker was very left handed with her new engagement ring and someone said "Oh, you got engaged" and she snarled that she didn't like the word engaged.

Old 05-06-2017, 03:19 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,027,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Siam View Post
I didn't get the memo saying sure is not a good word. To me that is a very positive way to answer.
There are plenty of words which are not good words to use.
You seriously want someone to spend time sending you a memo of EACH AND EVERY WORD, and when it is acceptable?

Quote:
I ran into a problem with fine. I thought that was a good word but apparently now fine means there is a problem.

Also engaged is bad now I guess. A co-worker was very left handed with her new engagement ring and someone said "Oh, you got engaged" and she snarled that she didn't like the word engaged.
The OP has an issue with her boss, not a co-worker

Old 05-06-2017, 09:10 PM

1,065 posts, read 598,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
As long as this looks like it could go on for a while, would someone in the "'Sure' is inappropriate" school please advise when, where and how it became so? I find no dictionary that relegates it to slang or colloquial usage, so what's the problem?

(Simply stating that the boss doesn't like it is non-responsive.)
The responses have been interesting...I posted earlier -

Serious situations call for precise words so a response of "yes" is definitive whereas "sure" is not. An employee who is not precise with serious matters can appear uncaring.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:14 PM

855 posts, read 624,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post
There are plenty of words which are not good words to use.
You seriously want someone to spend time sending you a memo of EACH AND EVERY WORD, and when it is acceptable?
Absolutely. Whenever someone says "I didn't get the memo",
they're not using a figure of speech or anything like that.
They really are expecting a literal memo.

Quote:
The OP has an issue with her boss, not a co-worker
She wasn't claiming otherwise, but sharing a similar situation involving
what was thought to be a harmless word ("engaged") that turned out
to be an affront to someone, like "sure" was to the OP's boss.

-

Old 05-06-2017, 11:11 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,845,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
The responses have been interesting...I posted earlier -

Serious situations call for precise words so a response of "yes" is definitive whereas "sure" is not. An employee who is not precise with serious matters can appear uncaring.
And in my book, "sure" is more positive than simply saying "yes," but the OP's boss didn't simply say it was not definitive enough, she said it sounds like "I don't give a crap." Where the hell did that come from?

Old 05-07-2017, 08:22 AM

50,819 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
And in my book, "sure" is more positive than simply saying "yes," but the OP's boss didn't simply say it was not definitive enough, she said it sounds like "I don't give a crap." Where the hell did that come from?
I answered that, several times. Is my explanation not even possible in your mind?

Old 05-07-2017, 05:43 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,071,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I answered that, several times. Is my explanation not even possible in your mind?
That's what I keep thinking when people don't seem to understand how "sure" can be seen as a negative word.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Anything is possible here so your guess is as good as mine but since the boss did not ask a question with any specificity it would be odd for the OP to respond with any. What's also odd is that the text came about four hours after both parties were presumably face to face in the office and just about eleven hours (most spent in sleep) before they would again be in the office - so why ask on a text instead of just discussing office arrangements in the office?

I'm under the impression the boss has a different definition in her mind of the word "sure" and I wonder where that came from, whether geographical, generational or other. I don't believe the bosses response was to the brevity but rather the specific word.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
That's what I keep thinking when people don't seem to understand how "sure" can be seen as a negative word.
If you can keep your eyes from rolling for a minute, why should it be seen as negative when it is more positive than yes?

Which conveys the answer to the question "Do you want some ice cream?" better, "yes" or "sure?"

Old 05-07-2017, 08:48 PM

1,020 posts, read 809,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Siam View Post

IDK about engaged, that one just sounds like someone's preference, but I can certainly see "fine" as coming off sarcastically. I immediately picture a teenager or angry husband or wife sighing, exhaling & saying "Fine!", when things are anything but. I don't think I'd use fine in a text even casually to a friend, too much chance of misinterpretation, with the exception of a "how are you today"? text, "fine".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment