Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2017, 12:33 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,027,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
So she's a slave, rather than an employee, and expected to be on the clock 24/7?
You're saying this, not him. And no one else but you

Quote:
She used a standard English word commonly understood to mean assent. The boss happened to not like it and said so, and the OP said she would not use it again in that context. The OP then posted a thread to vent about this ridiculous episode with a micromanaging moron of a boss and there's a pile on of criticism.

People are weird.
OP turns everything into a ridiculous episode. Wearing jeans to work on Fridays or not wearing them, she doesn't care either way yet she does care. She has a chip on her shoulder and is resisting being trained in her first week of a new job. It appears time for her to step away and get a different career. Then, hopefully, everyone will be happier

Old 05-05-2017, 12:34 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,071,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
No, the OP is an employee and when communicating with the boss about work, you conduct your communications in a professional manner. How is that being a slave?

Nothing ridiculous about it, other than the OP doesn't know how to communicate like a professional.
It's sad how many people don't understand what being professional is anymore. Sure would have been fine if it was used in a complete sentence, i.e. sure, I can work as needed. But yet, people don't seem to understand, in the professional world, "sure" is as casual as "yeah". eastcoastguyz, I feel your pain.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:45 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,813,090 times
Quote:
The boss makes the rules, you don't like it, start learning how to bag groceries.

When communicating about work with your supervisor it doesn't matter if it is 1 PM on a Sunday, the middle of the night, texting or face-to-face speaking. There is professionalism in communications. The people who don't get this, are the ones who management doesn't think highly of and don't get promoted, and end up letting go. But those are the same employees who come here and complain about how "I refuse to kiss butt" when they simply weren't being professional to begin with.

Get that application into the grocery stores now, you want to beat those summer kids looking for a job!

The OP is lucky, actually LUCKY the supervisor told them what the problem is so they have a chance to improve. But it won't happen, because it is the OP's poor attitude which is the problem.

Upper Management: "You think we should fire the OP?"
Boss: Sure

1. If you read through the thread, it would be clear to you that the OP never said anything negative to the boss. She told the boss she understood and stated that she was not going to say "sure" to the boss anymore. So, the OP did not handle the situation unprofessionally. She merely came on here to vent. The boss knows nothing of this "poor attitude".

2. If you read through the thread, you'd also know that the boss texted her with this request and 9:30pm and used an emoji. As a boss myself, I know that I set the tone, ESPECIALLY with a new employee. So if I use an informal medium at an unconventional hour to ask a question in an informal way... I should not be shocked or offended if I get an informal response. If I want to teach a new employee about professional communication, I can't be casual when communicating myself.

3. The OP has been snarky as hell to people on here, which has been kind of amusing (and a little cringeworthy) to read, but has said she did not do anything but agree to whatever the boss said at work, and has expressed her plan to do as she's been told. And maybe look for a new job. LOL

Old 05-05-2017, 12:57 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,518,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
It's sad how many people don't understand what being professional is anymore. Sure would have been fine if it was used in a complete sentence, i.e. sure, I can work as needed. But yet, people don't seem to understand, in the professional world, "sure" is as casual as "yeah". eastcoastguyz, I feel your pain.
I've worked for years in offices, and this is the first time I've heard you can't say "yeah" in an internal conversation involving no customers or external stakeholders. I'd be more sympathetic to what the OP's boss' said if the conversation had involved external customers or other departments. I'm in California, though, which in general follows a more casual ethos in many aspects of life. We don't do the Mr./Ms. thing when addressing bosses. Employees generally understand that they are subordinate to their supervisors and managers, they follow directions, and they do what's needed to get the job done. But the tone of internal communication is usually friendly and relaxed.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:50 PM

102 posts, read 79,225 times
Quote:
the boss makes the rules, you don't like it, start learning how to bag groceries.

When communicating about work with your supervisor it doesn't matter if it is 1 pm on a sunday, the middle of the night, texting or face-to-face speaking. There is professionalism in communications. The people who don't get this, are the ones who management doesn't think highly of and don't get promoted, and end up letting go. But those are the same employees who come here and complain about how "i refuse to kiss butt" when they simply weren't being professional to begin with.

Get that application into the grocery stores now, you want to beat those summer kids looking for a job!

The op is lucky, actually lucky the supervisor told them what the problem is so they have a chance to improve. But it won't happen, because it is the op's poor attitude which is the problem.

Upper management: "you think we should fire the op?"
boss: sure
😂

Old 05-05-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post
You're saying this, not him. And no one else but you

OP turns everything into a ridiculous episode. Wearing jeans to work on Fridays or not wearing them, she doesn't care either way yet she does care. She has a chip on her shoulder and is resisting being trained in her first week of a new job. It appears time for her to step away and get a different career. Then, hopefully, everyone will be happier
Can only take responses like this with a grain of salt. I have blocked the weirdos with the hostile responses. People that respond like that are clearly unhappy in their lives.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
1. If you read through the thread, it would be clear to you that the OP never said anything negative to the boss. She told the boss she understood and stated that she was not going to say "sure" to the boss anymore. So, the OP did not handle the situation unprofessionally. She merely came on here to vent. The boss knows nothing of this "poor attitude".

2. If you read through the thread, you'd also know that the boss texted her with this request and 9:30pm and used an emoji. As a boss myself, I know that I set the tone, ESPECIALLY with a new employee. So if I use an informal medium at an unconventional hour to ask a question in an informal way... I should not be shocked or offended if I get an informal response. If I want to teach a new employee about professional communication, I can't be casual when communicating myself.

3. The OP has been snarky as hell to people on here, which has been kind of amusing (and a little cringeworthy) to read, but has said she did not do anything but agree to whatever the boss said at work, and has expressed her plan to do as she's been told. And maybe look for a new job. LOL
Spot on. Thank you.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:00 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,071,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
I've worked for years in offices, and this is the first time I've heard you can't say "yeah" in an internal conversation involving no customers or external stakeholders. I'd be more sympathetic to what the OP's boss' said if the conversation had involved external customers or other departments. I'm in California, though, which in general follows a more casual ethos in many aspects of life. We don't do the Mr./Ms. thing when addressing bosses. Employees generally understand that they are subordinate to their supervisors and managers, they follow directions, and they do what's needed to get the job done. But the tone of internal communication is usually friendly and relaxed.
I didn't say you can't, I said it's not professional. You can say, "my bad" when your manager calls you out on an error, but it's not professional.

Also, I'm from SoCal, but that doesn't mean a thing. I worked at law firms. "Sure" and "yeah" wouldn't fly with anyone there. EVER! And I was 18, so I had to curb all slang and casual words. I also worked for the gov't (super casual environment). Most of my colleagues were professional when we discussed work items. Typically, those that don't speak professionally at work or carry themselves as such, we just assumed was ignorant about how to be professional. Maybe the law firms drilled a very professional work ethic into me at such a young age that I have carried that forth all these years and think that others should be the same.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:02 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,960 times
Quote:
No, the OP is an employee and when communicating with the boss about work, you conduct your communications in a professional manner. How is that being a slave?

Nothing ridiculous about it, other than the OP doesn't know how to communicate like a professional.

The boss is unprofessional as well, and I would assume a more casual environment considering that the boss texted the OP at 930 pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberEllie View Post
Spot on. Thank you.

So you agree with #3? LOL

Old 05-05-2017, 02:07 PM

2 posts, read 785 times
Interesting...
My boss didn't like " sure " too. It confused me much ( I should say that English is not my native language ) and worried. Well now I know what's wrong with it lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment