Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2017, 02:11 PM

855 posts, read 624,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
The boss is unprofessional as well, and I would assume a more casual environment considering that the boss texted the OP at 930 pm.
I agree, though apparently if we have a problem with that, then the only other job
option is pushing carts in a grocery store, as it would seem there are absolutely no
other job options out there other than what the OP does and ... grocery stores.
It's been made clear that this is very much an either/or situation.

-

Old 05-05-2017, 02:14 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kophi View Post
I agree, though apparently if we have a problem with that, then the only other job
option is pushing carts in a grocery store, as it would seem there are absolutely no
other job options out there other than what the OP does and ... grocery stores.
It's been made clear that this is very much an either/or situation.

-
I guess I have an issue with the mixed message. You are calling me at 930 for a non-emergency, using emojis, and then tell me that you have an issue with the way that I speak? Say what? LOL

Management also needs to consider how THEY communicate, and until that happens (and it won't, judging by the responses of 'so what??' on this thread), then nothing will change.

No one likes working for a hypocrite.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:25 PM

102 posts, read 79,213 times
Well people as I already said if you have a problem with someone saying "sure" to "can you work late next week".. you are very uptight/rigid and need to get a life.

I think it's pretty sad people would compare being an administrative assistant to pushing grocery carts. Doing this job for the last 13 years can be very stressful/demanding. At times I work 12 hour days with 5-10 projects going on at once, assisting multiple people at the same time.

Oh and there is nothing wrong with pushing grocery carts either.

I have a great work ethic and make pretty good money for someone without a college degree. My husband is a successful business man and even he thought her reaction was ridiculous. I have answered here in the way I have because many of these comments are just too ridiculous to reply to with any thought. I came here to vent and got SOME good feedback. The other replies are a good laugh.

Last edited by AmberEllie; 05-05-2017 at 02:35 PM..

Old 05-05-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
The boss is unprofessional as well, and I would assume a more casual environment considering that the boss texted the OP at 930 pm.

So you agree with #3? LOL
Yes somewhat. But some of these responses deserved it

Old 05-05-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberEllie View Post
Doing this job for the last 13 years can be very stressful/demanding. At times I work 12 hour days with 5-10 projects going on at once, assisting multiple people at the same time.

Oh and there is nothing wrong with pushing grocery carts either.

I have a great work ethic and make pretty good money for someone without a college degree.
We have a bit in common.

I was a secretary for about 13 years (no college; started right out of
high school).

-

Old 05-05-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kophi View Post
We have a bit in common.

I was a secretary for about 13 years (no college; started right out of
high school).

-
That's cool!

I think it's interesting how some people put down people that do administrative work. An established administrative/executive assistant can make a great salary. I make 75k a year. A friend of mine is one and makes 6 figures.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
That's cool!

I think it's interesting how some people put down people that do administrative work. An established administrative/executive assistant can make a great salary. I make 75k a year. A friend of mine is one and makes 6 figures.
I really liked it. And when I was done for the day, I was done for the day; it
wasn't the kind of job I had to take home with me.

I would be back in the secretarial field now, Lord knows I've tried, except that
after 17 years as a stay at home mom, CareerWorld apparently thinks I no longer
know anything. What's also hilarious is that some of the secretarial
positions -- ones which involve things I was doing right out of high school --
required at least a Bachelor's Degree. I'm rolling my eyes at those so hard I can
see my brain. I mean, I could do those jobs with my hands closed and both eyes
tied behind my back, for heaven's sake.

So now I'm in retail (cashier), and love that too (most days! ). It's even more
carefree than my secretarial role was, while still helping me to put food on the
table! What seems to work for me is to remain at the cashier level; anything
higher in retail looks like a recipe for a nonstop migraine, probably because I'm
not seeing the same stability in the infrastructure that was present in my
secretarial environment. I feel for the customer service reps and managers, and
what they deal with; just a couple people call out and you're on your own running
a single department. No thanks. I've been asked a few times if I'd be interested
in going higher, but frankly I'm happy right where I'm at (not to mention that
I have a strong feeling that this is where I am supposed to be right now, for whatever
reason...).

-

Old 05-05-2017, 05:27 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,027,034 times
Quote:
Can only take responses like this with a grain of salt. I have blocked the weirdos with the hostile responses. People that respond like that are clearly unhappy in their lives.
You have the right to ask her NOT to text you so late at night. Otherwise she might keep doing it.

When she says you used the term, "sure" you could respond with "at least I wasn't texting anyone at 9:30pm" then laugh slightly. Be lighthearted

You might be looking for another job but it doesn't appear a good fit anyhow. Life is short

Old 05-05-2017, 05:36 PM

156 posts, read 123,953 times
It just depends on the way you said it but some people can be picky.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:35 PM

1,020 posts, read 809,198 times
I didn't see anyone ridiculing the OP for being in Admin, in fact we spent a good 15 pages asking her what type of position she was in & what industry, so as to gauge the level of professionalism required in her field. I'm not going back through all of it, but I think it was around page 20 when she finally answered 1 of the questions.

The OP is so invested in being right & being defensive, that she can't see that the boss is actually taking an interest in her & trying to mentor her. The boss after the first incident gave her a coaching session on handshakes, which OP posted about. Most people would see that as a sign that the boss is trying to mentor her for bigger & better things. Believe it or not some female bosses like to mentor female employees & groom them for mgmt & that's what I see happening here. The boss feels she's not quite ready for prime-time & is trying to help the OP get there, presumably so that there may be a promotion in her future. But the OP is resisting every attempt by arguing & making emoji faces like a 12yo would at anyone who tries to point this out to her. It's sad really. Chances are if she opened herself up to constructive criticism, there would be a promotion in her future. But it's hard to take seriously anyone who replies to sincere, thoughtful answers with snark & emojis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment