Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 01:58 PM

102 posts, read 79,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAviaCA View Post
You do realize that not ALL salaried employees are expected to be available 24/7? There are many employees who do not access their email or receive/send texts/phone calls once they've left work. That doesn't make them a "salaried employee with an hourly mindset."
Exactly!! Thank you

Old 05-09-2017, 02:08 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAviaCA View Post
You do realize that not ALL salaried employees are expected to be available 24/7? There are many employees who do not access their email or receive/send texts/phone calls once they've left work. That doesn't make them a "salaried employee with an hourly mindset."

And you do realize that the OP's boss expects this, or she wouldn't have texted at 930?

Old 05-09-2017, 02:20 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
What that poster means is you are supposed to be a salaried professional, but your mindset/attitude is more akin to someone working in retail or fast food. Speaking as a salaried professional myself. Aren't you brand new at this job, too?

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 05-09-2017 at 03:24 PM..

Old 05-09-2017, 02:30 PM

407 posts, read 370,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
And you do realize that the OP's boss expects this, or she wouldn't have texted at 930?
And she replied. The issue her boss had was the word she used, not that she didn't reply promptly.

Old 05-09-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
what that poster means is you are supposed to be a salaried professional, but your mindset/attitude is more skin to someone working in retail or fast food. Speaking as a salaried professional myself. Aren't you brand new at this job, too?
😂😂

Old 05-09-2017, 02:45 PM

797 posts, read 3,581,226 times
I never look at my email after 5:30 pm or before 9:30 am Monday through Friday, nor anytime on the weekend. I also would not respond to any texts unless during business hours. Sorry. And I have worked as a 6 figure salaried employee at my company for 10+ years. Mochammajesty and ocnjgirl, you obviously have no clue about not beign a corporate lackey. I feel sorry for you.

Old 05-09-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
I never look at my email after 5:30 pm or before 9:30 am Monday through Friday, nor anytime on the weekend. I also would not respond to any texts unless during business hours. Sorry. And I have worked as a 6 figure salaried employee at my company for 10+ years. Mochammajesty and ocnjgirl, you obviously have no clue about not beign a corporate lackey. I feel sorry for you.
Thank you.

Old 05-09-2017, 02:51 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,071,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
If you can keep your eyes from rolling for a minute, why should it be seen as negative when it is more positive than yes?

Which conveys the answer to the question "Do you want some ice cream?" better, "yes" or "sure?"
To me, "yes" is a better answer as "sure" because "sure" comes off as ambivalent and "yes" is definitive. But again, I think it has a lot to do with how you use it yourself. When I say "sure", I AM ambivalent or I'm being a pain and being sarcastic or just being a pain in general and sometimes, even being passive/aggressive (all on purpose). So when people use it, I try to take it as an affirmative, but in the back of my head, I'm always thinking "do they mean yes or are they ambivalent? should I offer something else?" and then depending on the person and situation, I'll clarify or not.

If I worked with someone very closely and they used "sure" a lot (not saying the OP does), I probably would ask them to clarify what sure means to them and/or ask them not to use it (depending on who it is - someone above or below me).

And the rolling of the eyes, is honestly, how I see people when they say, "sure". So yes, it's more of a negative than it is a positive.....to me (and others as seen by this huge thread).

Old 05-09-2017, 03:29 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
You feel sorry for me because on occasion my boss texts while she's doing the schedule, and asks if I can come in early tomorrow to see Mr. so-and-so before he goes to dialysis? No need to feel sorry for me, I make good money and my boss is actually pretty awesome.

No one told OP she needed to answer at 9:30. She could have waited till morning. If answering at that moment means you're going to have an attitude, just wait and answer the next day "Sorry, I was sleep. Sure, I can work late on Monday, Tuesday and Friday if you need me to". Easy-peasy.

Answering a simple question doesn't make someone a "lackey". OP is fairly new at this job if I remember correctly and this is like the 3rd time they've spoken to her about not coming off professionally. We are all trying to help her, believe it or not.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:46 PM

797 posts, read 3,581,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Answering a simple question doesn't make someone a "lackey".
Actually it does. That simple question being answered is just a symptom of a bigger issue of "lackiness" where you are just proving you are available at the beck and call of a higher up. Never be at the beck and call of a higher up. Lay the groundwork from the getgo that you will respond, but during hours you are being paid to do so. Don't give me this whole salaried bs where you say there aren't set hours as a salaried person. That is pure horsesh*t.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment