Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is "management" usually right in personnel decisions?
Yes 20 25.64%
No 36 46.15%
It's above my pay grade! 22 28.21%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 02:56 AM

20 posts, read 20,574 times

Advertisements

Looking back over my career I remember coming to work quite often and noticing a coworker was missing. No, he/she was not on vacation, they were gone permanently. They were terminated! FIRED!

I had never heard that there were any problems with their performance and all my interactions with that person was fine and I had thought they were doing a good job. But management disagreed.

The funny thing is my coworkers would love to gossip about the terminated employee for days afterwards. The person who had been a trusted co-worker the day before was now demonized and ridiculed.

How could this be? After much thought and introspection, I figured out that most people assume that "management" knows what they are doing and if they made a decision to terminate someone, it must be the right decision. All our old positive impressions of Bob, our terminated ex-co-worker, were wrong.

Management is always right in personnel decisions- right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 03:09 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,524,970 times
I don't care either way.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:52 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,589,089 times
Too little information to make a blanket assumption. I'd say generally management is right but not always.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:57 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,387,864 times
I can only speak for where I work. Union job, if you are terminated, and it gets past all the Union efforts....yes, you deserved it. Don't get me wrong, there are employees who do things that are they should be terminated for, but when you are the Administrators cronies, they look the other way.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:58 AM

1,406 posts, read 1,182,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
I can only speak for where I work. Union job, if you are terminated, and it gets past all the Union efforts....yes, you deserved it. Don't get me wrong, there are employees who do things that are they should be terminated for, but when you are the Administrators cronies, they look the other way.
analogous situation where I'm at - a DoD laboratory, so we're all Federal employees.

There's really only way two ways to get fired:
- do something (usually criminal) to lose your clearance
- do something criminal

It's very unusual to be fired for poor performance - generally, the most common tactic that management takes in those situations is to encourage the poor performer to transfer to somewhere else, and thus become someone else's problem - the processes/documentation/etc. required to actually fire someone for poor performance is so lengthy and cumbersome, that the vast majority of managers take the past of least resistance for removing those folks from their group (unless it's one of their buddies, of course - then they become part of the protected-from-ever-being-admonished club).

As for the OP - not enough information to go on; every situation is different.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:05 AM

2,407 posts, read 3,194,223 times
Can't answer the question, as others have pointed out, "not enough information". However, what I will point out is management sees an entirely different side to an employee than a coworker does. The coworker may be oblivious to the employee's work output, time off, tardiness, and even theft. So there is probably more going on there than the coworkers are aware of.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:06 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,318,271 times
I've seen management make some pretty questionable decisions when terminating people either through laying them off or straight-up firing them. In my experience they're right maybe 4/10 times.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:18 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,934,290 times
When I was an employee I always remembered, that I was not privileged to the full facts. What I thought I knew and what i actually knew were often two very different things. As an owner the picture is a little different.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:45 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,766,212 times
Do you assume the hire someone and make the right decision?

Old 04-28-2017, 08:07 AM

23,575 posts, read 24,102,669 times
Depends on the circumstances, sometimes management is correct, sometimes not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment