Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2017, 12:10 PM

228 posts, read 201,392 times

Advertisements

I guess I'm typing this for therapeutic reasons, because I'm dealing with a great deal of mental stress at the moment. I'm going to give a time line of events and a brief description of why I'm feeling the way I'm feeling.
  • Last year, I started with a new company after spending eight months in a role that was not a very good fit for my skill set and experience. The new position seemed like it would be a much better fit for me.

• One month into the new role, they cleaned house and let a handful of directors and managers go. My manager was one of those people.

• For two months, we didn't have a manager. I had little to no guidance, and most of what was handed off to me was menial administrative duties which fall well below my analyst pay grade.

• Two and a half months after the "great purge", we have a new director and manager. They spend little to no time understanding our roles, and instead focus on other projects while leaving us on our own.

• I take this as an opportunity to set up one-on-one meetings with my director and try to mold my position into what I wish to be doing. He seems on board, but doesn't really lay out a plan for me.

• Months go by and still no direction from either director or manager. They're so hands off, that they don't even show up to our team meetings to discuss what's going on with us. I start applying for other jobs internally and seek tasks and projects from other departments.

• I am asked to interview for what seems like a great position in another department. I interview, it goes well, and it seems like I am the top candidate for the role.

• My manager catches wind that I am interviewing for the other position, and essentially goes behind my back to the other manager and to the CEO to let the know that they are working to redefine my role so that it better suits me. He sends me an email between he and the CEO that outlines the discussion they had.

• Weeks go by and no word about the other position. Eventually, I discover that they hired another person for the job outside the company.

• The manager from the other department eventually gets in touch with me several weeks after I interviewed for the position and basically tells me what I suspected. They were told by my manager that my role would be changing and so they decided to keep interviewing other candidates.

• I just hit my one year mark earlier this week and nothing has officially changed with my position. Furthermore, there has been zero communication about any pending changes from management.

Essentially, I have very little to do outside the basic admin tasks that I mentioned further up in the post. I'm severely bored most of the time, and so I spend my downtime learning new skills or taking walks or reading or listening to podcasts. I have tried working with other departments to find things to do, but nothing substantial has come of it. The boredom is turning into anxiety and ultimately depression.

I have tried applying for jobs outside the company, but I'm getting zero call backs. I'm concerned that having two relatively short term jobs (this one and the one before it) on my resume may make me look like an unreliable job hopper, so hiring managers are dismissing my resume automatically. I have a college degree and nearly a decade of post college experience at this point, and I feel like it was much easier getting interviews earlier on in my career than it is now.

I don't know what to do. I'm bored, anxious, and becoming depressed because I feel like I'm worthless to this employer, and worthless to other companies who don't call me for an interview. It's gotten so bad that I fantasize about walking into my director's office and quitting, selling my condo, and moving to another location altogether.

What are my options at this point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 12:16 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Continue what was advised in your other thread

Old 05-05-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Continue what was advised in your other thread

My other thread pertains to long term goals of breaking into another field. This is dealing with the immediate future.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:47 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,069,650 times
You need to stop pressing. Whether you're pressing at a blackjack table or work, it never turns out well. Relax, take a vacation, don't do more at work than your menial job at this moment requires you to do. Once your head is in better place, then it's time to game plan, not now. Any plan or action you take right now will be out of frustration.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
You need to stop pressing. Whether you're pressing at a blackjack table or work, it never turns out well. Relax, take a vacation, don't do more at work than your menial job at this moment requires you to do. Once your head is in better place, then it's time to game plan, not now. Any plan or action you take right now will be out of frustration.
I absolutely agree with you regarding the pressing. I haven't brought the subject up to anybody at work since it was originally discussed.

As for the game plan, that's where I'm at a loss. I'm not able to move internally it seems, and I'm having a difficult time getting interviews elsewhere. I just feel trapped.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:26 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,069,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Hanks View Post
I absolutely agree with you regarding the pressing. I haven't brought the subject up to anybody at work since it was originally discussed.

As for the game plan, that's where I'm at a loss. I'm not able to move internally it seems, and I'm having a difficult time getting interviews elsewhere. I just feel trapped.
Your brain is trapped. You're stuck in this rigid thinking that is preventing you from seeing other opportunities. Find a way to relax, and focus your attention on positive things rather than negative. You're anxious, you're probably unhappy--with yourself mostly, and it most likely shows in everything you do.

Stop planning, stop worrying about your current place, and accept it for what it is. Once you do, opportunities will come, often from the most unexpected places.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
Your brain is trapped. You're stuck in this rigid thinking that is preventing you from seeing other opportunities. Find a way to relax, and focus your attention on positive things rather than negative. You're anxious, you're probably unhappy--with yourself mostly, and it most likely shows in everything you do.

Stop planning, stop worrying about your current place, and accept it for what it is. Once you do, opportunities will come, often from the most unexpected places.
I appreciate your insights. I agree that this is a mental obstacle first and foremost. I have suffered from anxiety in the past, and it does tend to cloud your mind and perpetuate itself by way of negative-think.

I'm gonna try to relax this weekend and clear my mind. Hopefully something will give sooner than later.

Have a nice weekend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment