Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 02:30 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
Good point.

I get:

Good Friday
Memorial day
Fourth of July
Labor Day
Thanksgiving
Friday after Thanksgiving (very appreciative of this one!)
Christmas eve
Christmas day
New Years eve
New Years day
Well, you could be Jewish or some other non-Christian religion, and have to use some of your 10 PTO days to observe your own religious holidays, because they don't let you swap out those days off for Christian holidays you don't observe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 02:51 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,255,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Well, you could be Jewish or some other non-Christian religion, and have to use some of your 10 PTO days to observe your own religious holidays, because they don't let you swap out those days off for Christian holidays you don't observe.
that's terrible - the jewish people at my job get to take their holidays off.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:51 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
What if you ask to take the leave without pay? I've done that before.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-15-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
What if you ask to take the leave without pay? I've done that before.
Yeah, i'm wondering how that would go...

Old 05-15-2017, 03:04 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,145,779 times
As some fellow posters suggest, go get a job in the public sector.

I have 21 days vacation, 21 days sick leave plus 14 Federal + State Holidays every year. Right away you are entitled to them even during your first year of work.

When I worked in the private sector, nobody could take off in December. In public sector, everybody has their vacation days used in November and December. Hardly anyone comes to work on Black Friday.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
As some fellow posters suggest, go get a job in the public sector.

I have 21 days vacation, 21 days sick leave plus 14 Federal + State Holidays every year. Right away you are entitled to them even during your first year of work.

When I worked in the private sector, nobody could take off in December. In public sector, everybody has their vacation days used in November and December. Hardly anyone comes to work on Black Friday.
I feel like those jobs are difficult to get. i look at usajobs.gov all of the time, always nothing

Old 05-15-2017, 03:08 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,050,294 times
I read a page or two, haven't read the whole thread. The bottom line is this is a personal decision regarding your priorities. If you find that the quality of life is impacted more by time off than by the size of paycheck, then you need to pick where you work accordingly. It is also important to remember that this will change based on your circumstances and what is critical to you at that time.

I was forced to take a horrific job at one point because I needed to provide for my family. It ended up being 13 months without a day off! Literally being an on-call manager/babysitter 24 hours a day. It paid my mortgage and kept my children fed, and when opportunity arose, I left. Currently I work in a position where I get 9 hours vacation monthly, 9 hours of sick time monthly, and this year will include 13 paid holidays. I will do almost anything to avoid another nightmare like I lived before, but am well aware that if necessary, I will do what needs to be done.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:08 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
I feel like those jobs are difficult to get. i look at usajobs.gov all of the time, always nothing
Exactly. And with Trump cutting so much of the public sector, there is little to no chance getting in unless someone hooks you up. There is never anything on there. You'll spend years just getting a rejection email (Even if your qualified for everyone job you apply for OR even a veteran)

Old 05-15-2017, 03:09 PM

521 posts, read 733,569 times
My job starts us with 20 PTO days a year which are used for vacation, sick time, family emergency, etc. Each year you get one more day and the cap is 30 PTO days a year. We get all holidays off and the day before we get off at noon. I think it's fair and never use all the days but that is mainly due to work being piled up after only one day off so I just don't want to take time off. Plus we have young kids who are too young to enjoy traveling with. 10 days of vacation time does seem low after 4 years though.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:13 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Definitely something to consider when interviewing employers(goes both ways). My current job is pretty generous, for the US anyway. It is something you can negotiate as well. When you're switching jobs you don't want to start over back at 2 weeks again.

We get these holidays:
MLK Jr Day
Memorial Day
Independence Day
Labor Day
Thanksgiving
Christmas through New Years
+ 2 Floating holidays to use whenever we want
+ 2 "Charity" days we can buy with a charitable donation

We start with 21 days vacation and I'm up to 26 days vacation and 1 year away from "unlimited' vacation.

Which is kind of a crock. Without a value on the number of days off waiting to expire at the end of the year most take less vacation than they did prior to unlimited. What it really is is a way to get accrued PTO time off the books. If you get laid off or leave they don't have to pay any accrued PTO because you don't have any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment