Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2017, 11:33 AM

422 posts, read 396,960 times

Advertisements

I recently left my job of nine years due to no long term growth and not being paid what I thought was fair for someone in my role and tenure. I have some connections with another company in the same industry which would be creating a brand new position for me similar to what I was doing with my previous company.

The catch is they're offering my a slightly lower salary ($5k less), but with the potential to make commission initially based off my own performance, but eventually of the team that I would be managing which would roughly translate to $2-3k/month on top of my salary. They want me to help create and develop this position and all the fun stuff that comes along with it such as: vision, metrics, KPI's, SOP's etc etc.

I haven't looked much in the same industry due to wanting a change of pace, and I know I would be able to command more money from another competitor in the same field. Essentially where the stalemate is coming is over a $5k signing bonus(which would put me back to my old starting salary, but now with the ability to make monthly commission) which the manager is holding out on. I don't think what I'm asking is outrageous due to knowing the amount of work that it's going to take and not having tested the actual market.

Do I take their offer w/ no signing bonus, stick to my guns for the $5k bonus, try to negotiate to a $3k bonus, or decline the offer and continue my search. Ultimately I'm currently not employed, have several applications out other places and my wife makes decent money but I feel like this opportunity is right for me and something I think I would do well in the long run.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 04:54 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,344 times
....take it get paid now and quit freeloading off your wife whether she makes 60K or 1m a year.

In this economy no one bats and eye if you leave firm within a week of getting hired. They don't owe you anything nor should you feel obligated to give them any amount of respect that isn't deserved. A job is just a job and ultimately its just a contract. They can fire you at any notice or ********* over without bating an eye so treat em the same. It's 2017 get with the program already and look out for yourself cuz employers are NOT loyal to employees nowadays and nepotism is at an ALL TIME high now. Hell we knew it existed, but now its just thrown in your face.

Actually you are a perfect example of it your friends wanna hire you well up to you if want to burn bridges, but imo getting that pay check comes 1st regardless of your financials. If you don't like new job well as they say easier finding a new job while you have one than without.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:07 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,022,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
....take it get paid now and quit freeloading off your wife whether she makes 60K or 1m a year.

In this economy no one bats and eye if you leave firm within a week of getting hired. They don't owe you anything nor should you feel obligated to give them any amount of respect that isn't deserved. A job is just a job and ultimately its just a contract. They can fire you at any notice or ********* over without bating an eye so treat em the same. It's 2017 get with the program already and look out for yourself cuz employers are NOT loyal to employees nowadays and nepotism is at an ALL TIME high now. Hell we knew it existed, but now its just thrown in your face.

Actually you are a perfect example of it your friends wanna hire you well up to you if want to burn bridges, but imo getting that pay check comes 1st regardless of your financials. If you don't like new job well as they say easier finding a new job while you have one than without.
How can you freeload off a spouse? Is that like babysitting your own kids?

Old 05-18-2017, 05:14 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
If you feel the opportunity is right, take it. I believe it is easier to find a job when you already have one. Try it and see how it goes/how much you make in commissions, and, if you don't like where you are at, look for another job.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:09 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Odd. Did you think to look for a higher paying job while you were still employed?

Old 05-18-2017, 06:39 PM

422 posts, read 396,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
No one is "freeloading" off of anyone. I've technically been unemployed for 8 days and I have a offer letter to begin employment 6/1 at the new position so I'm not sure exactly where you're going with that.

The reason I posted this is negotiating your salary/pay is if not the most important, one of the most important factors in considering a new job. If you feel your experience is worth a certain value, and the offer presented to you isn't what you're looking for--there is reason to be apprehensive.

Charlygal: Not to get into too much detail I left my old job due to a toxic work environment and the understanding the company no longer valued me. I could no longer continue to enforce and stand by their rules and ideologies if they didn't give two $hits about me.

At the end of the day I'm going to try to get some sort of signing money, If that doesn't work I'll more than likely take the position and let my work speak for itself.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:51 PM

29,517 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Sure, negotiating salary/pay/bonus is important, no one is denying that.

However, this is assuming you are currently employed.

If you have been unemployed for a longer period of time, in my eyes you don't have that same luxury of drawing out job offers and being picky choosy in terms of job offers. It can backfire and lead to a job offer withdrawn.

Ultimately it is up to you. YOU have to go with your gut instincts and decide if this is the job you truly want, and take whatever they offer, or if you feel like there's still some wiggle room for the signing bonus.

Doesn't matter what we 'advise' or say, it can go either way and up to you.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment