Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 05:55 PM

65 posts, read 79,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Both my dad and FIL had work from home jobs years before computers came along. Folks even complained about how "rich" he was to be at home all day and travel. He was a traveling salesman. Nothing's changed.

But, that said, for the issue between you and your roommate, you did say:

Unless you're actually working on video games, you get paid to work, not get paid to play video games. So is there some truth to his assumptions?
no i host multiple youtube channels just playing video games and getting paid.

I also do live twitch stream with sponsors paying for what ever video game im playing..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 06:16 PM

13,264 posts, read 7,316,697 times
Interesting work you do I think I would get burned out on video games when I was younger years ago I played videos games all the time I spent good part of my life until I was in my 30's then just got burned out on it all. I haven't picked up a video game in years just seems boring to me no matter how much better they are today. I wasn't getting paid so for me that was a waste of my time while your getting paid that's a great thing. I'm a network administrator I would love to do that full time from home. I like the fact that I can login any hours I want to when I'm thinking about a new idea or if I have been working a problem and think of something new didn't try. I don't want to be set to a schedule like some companies want to see you online from 9-5 from home. I want to be given a project and meet with my PM virtual work whatever hours I want to get it done. I have a friend who is converting firewall rules from cisco to Palo Alto from home a project take 2 years. I don't know if I want to just be doing that but would be nice to work from home. Your roommate is just jealous that he has to burn his life away 9-5 job. I have had my own business before my biggest mistake was not saving enough burning though the money and when the business ran it's course I had nothing to show for it. What your doing with youtube is running your own business I would make sure while your doing well save as much as you can and think of ways to build what you have always look at it from a business standpoint not playing games and getting paid for it. If you do that you can grow it into something really big.

Last edited by kell490; 05-29-2017 at 06:24 PM..

Old 05-29-2017, 06:16 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,793 times
Because you're at HOME. You have the freedom to play video games if you want because you can't get in trouble. I sometimes work at home and learned that I really need self-discipline to work at home. It's tempting to do my hobbies or take a long shower and not do the work that has no immediate deadlines.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:14 PM

13,264 posts, read 7,316,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
Because you're at HOME. You have the freedom to play video games if you want because you can't get in trouble. I sometimes work at home and learned that I really need self-discipline to work at home. It's tempting to do my hobbies or take a long shower and not do the work that has no immediate deadlines.

His last reply states his business is playing video games and has youtube channels reviewing those games. I have seen these youtube channels they record the output of the game screen while they play they talk about what they are doing. This gives new people to the game a way to move up in levels faster because they see how that person did it. They may give a review of a new game so others can see before they buy lot of these channels are about a game called battlefield. They get paid by the number of subscribers and views youtube pays them some are able to get enough to make lots of money in the 6 figure range but only the most popular youtube channels.

Here is an example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dPD22hChiQ

Old 05-29-2017, 07:56 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
No one understands. I do about 80% of my work at home, and when my husband gets home you'd think I was sitting around eating bon bons all day. It's a losing battle. People who don't work at home can't understand how hard you can work while wearing a bathrobe.
But why don't you eat bonbons all day?!

I have an afternoon job 3-4 days a week and a few random clients, plus my own business. My SO and I work together and the guys often make cracks about me being part time (which is what I was hired for). After we dated for about 6 months when I was up at 5am working on my own business stuff, I turned to him and said "please remember this morning when someone talks trash about me again".

That said he does tease me good-naturedly when he knows I've gone for a long bike ride in the morning or something, but only because he knows how hard I work and that I can arrange clients to mornings/nights depending on my schedule and other things I need to get done.

It can be a frustrating work choice when too many people want a piece of me in the same time frame but I don't think I could ever go back to one traditional job again... unless it was flexible.. but then it wouldn't be traditional would it?

Old 05-29-2017, 10:50 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthenerdyguru View Post
I know its not a big deal but why do people assume if you arent getting up for a 9 to 5 to flip burgers or sit in a office you dont have a job?I mean why they assume someone on internet/computer all day is just "playing"? I work online/work from home and I LOVE it(and it pays well/pays my bills) but i just wanted to know how others feel i know my roommate be coming from work tired and stressed(hey not my fault) and the fact he thinks im just sitting around(i pay half bills and i get paid to play video games aswell )

Let me know your guys thoughts on this..

My sister is that way. I love my job and I work from home. She is fond ofd saying "you don't really WORK".

I think the key is - I LOVE what I do. For some people, there has to be some "dread" involved in order for it to be a "real job".

ETA my sister is miserable.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:10 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,289,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
When my people telecommute, which I allow on occasion such as a bad snow day, they must send me an email with a list of work they will be doing. I can then check to make sure it's done, but also, going through our VPN I can tell when and for how long they are logged in to our various systems. It's never been a problem, they get the work done, in fact some tasks are better done at home with no interruptions.
Do you do the same thing each day they work in the office? If not, I don't see the point of it. People have work to do, and if they don't, what difference does it makes if they do nothing in the office or from home?

Old 05-30-2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Agree saves gas money/transportation...

Imagine driving 5 days a week can be costly(unless the job is BIG bucks of course)
Even in highly paid jobs, it is a waste of time and money to drive 5 days a week into a job which can be done completely from home.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:18 AM

Quote:
no i host multiple youtube channels just playing video games and getting paid.

I also do live twitch stream with sponsors paying for what ever video game im playing..
Google owns YouTube, and they do the hosting for YouTube. You don't host YouTube channels, sorry. No one who has a YouTube channel refers to them that way.

If you were really doing what you say, and making money, I don't think you'd have a roommate.

And if you were truly doing this, you'd provide a link to show people. But then again, you could give a link to this guy, and claim to be him.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:35 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
I know its not a big deal but why do people assume if you arent getting up for a 9 to 5 to flip burgers or sit in a office you dont have a job?I mean why they assume someone on internet/computer all day is just "playing"? I work online/work from home and I LOVE it(and it pays well/pays my bills) but i just wanted to know how others feel i know my roommate be coming from work tired and stressed(hey not my fault) and the fact he thinks im just sitting around(i pay half bills and i get paid to play video games aswell )

Let me know your guys thoughts on this..
Probably for similar reasons if one works night shift such as yours truly.

I guess if you aren't off somewhere away from home during the daylight then people just assume you have all this time to help them on things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment