Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 03:49 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
That "she" must be doing a greatly good job for the boss to be more valuable than some really valuable employees, or she was the boss's pet, then she could stay. And that boss just favored her for personal reason. If so, it's not worth to work for such company.

Guess that was you, eh, because you grinned ear to ear.

If she worked in a unionized company, and because just some personal feeling and she wanted to get rid of the employees she disliked, she would not be okay.
Yes, I wouldn't go out with Jon and didn't like his sexual harassment of ALL women so he was disgruntled. Not what he was used to.

I was valuable because of the work I did. Always am. The boss was a former Navy Seal and I'm a former Marine so he probably favored me a little for that reason but performance and value to the company were my strong points.

Some people always think that women who are in powerful positions over men must have slept their way there. Tiresome. *yawn*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 05:09 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young love View Post
The second paragraph of Kim's post above is interesting. A perfect example of the game of office politics. My critics assume (correctly) that my boss and other people in the office will believe something must be wrong with me if they hear enough negative things said about me. This gives my critics power and creates doubt about me.

What are their complaints, you ask? Mostly things I reportedly said to people. There was some truth to the comments but they were taken out of context and twisted to make me look bad. In other cases, it is my judgment calls. I chose to handle a situation a certain way because I felt doing it that way was the best approach. My workplace critics would have done it differently. But their decision on how "they would do it" is based on lack of the total picture and a full intellectual analysis.

In all situations so far where my boss has pulled me into his office to discuss the complaints about me, I have always been able to convince him my approach was logical and well informed but he still thinks I must be trouble because of the complaints. I read in an office politics book that just the appearance of a mistake or inappropriate comment, even if totally untrue, can create doubts. That is the game of evil office politicians, keep attacking and spreading lies until there is enough doubt created and your company reputation is destroyed.

I think it's interesting as well because I think I'm right.

I think that you believe you're doing a top notch job, but in reality, you're not. You're claiming office politics, which most substandard employees do, when you should be looking at your overall performance (mainly, your comments and your judgment calls).

Stop reading books and start reading your employee handbook along with the policies and procedures and you'll know how to handle situations. Your title says gossip, but you admit that it's complaints about your work. You might be able to 'convince' your boss for a short time, but if more experienced and senior employees continue to complain about your performance, you're going to find yourself looking for another job.

Have you ever discussed this with those employees?

Old 05-31-2017, 11:29 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,664,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young love View Post
The second paragraph of Kim's post above is interesting. A perfect example of the game of office politics. My critics assume (correctly) that my boss and other people in the office will believe something must be wrong with me if they hear enough negative things said about me. This gives my critics power and creates doubt about me.

What are their complaints, you ask? Mostly things I reportedly said to people. There was some truth to the comments but they were taken out of context and twisted to make me look bad. In other cases, it is my judgment calls. I chose to handle a situation a certain way because I felt doing it that way was the best approach. My workplace critics would have done it differently. But their decision on how "they would do it" is based on lack of the total picture and a full intellectual analysis. There is no formal rule that would tell me how to handle these situations.

In all situations so far where my boss has pulled me into his office to discuss the complaints about me, I have always been able to convince him my approach was logical and well informed but he still thinks I must be trouble because of the complaints. I read in an office politics book that just the appearance of a mistake or inappropriate comment, even if totally untrue, can create doubts. That is the game of evil office politicians, keep attacking and spreading lies until there is enough doubt created and your company reputation is destroyed.

Here's some advice because politics doesn't stop in the office.

Think very carefully about what you say because anything that can be used against you will be by some people. If there's any doubt, keep quiet. If you make a judgment call to handle a work situation stick by it and be prepared to justify your decision. BUT... make sure that you are knowledgeable enough up front to make the decision. Management would much rather have someone make a bad decision with solid logic behind it (and know that they will learn from it) than a random good decision that they took a shot in the dark with. It makes you a loose cannon and shows a lack of logic.

There are no formal rules in office politics or even politics in life. People are looking to get ahead and some will take whatever means necessary to get there. The best lesson you can ever learn is to pick a course and stay on it. Be confident (but humble) in your decisions, be good at what you do to the point that management will not doubt you, and leave politics to those who play games. You can avoid politics in most cases.

And under no circumstances should you ever assume that you know more than the next person. Always understand that others may have something to offer that you can learn from and be respectful of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment