Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 07:10 AM

108 posts, read 100,288 times

Advertisements

How would you approach this situation. Ever since this individual was hired [last fall] they had a 6-8 week maternity leave. After She came back this spring, she constantly calls in last minute or has "technical difficulties and cannot complete her work. I understand things happen without notice but NOT on almost a weekly basis now. She has missed work at least 7-8 days this past month. I care because she is my partner for the workload that comes through. I do not mind stepping up and covering for her, but the "stats" are dropping in the area and I am busting my butt. I don't want to look "bad" when I am doing a lot more and she isn't doing a thorough job. When she gets back she always says sorry and thanks but when is enough, enough? Tired of these last minute call ins and issues always coming up.

There are so many people out there unable to find a job, more than willing to go above and beyond for a company, like I am doing. I am proud and love my job, I just want a co-worker that I work directly with to as well. Plus, a lot of women are placed into a category as unreliable because of the above, but by no means should this happen!

Gray Clouds in the workplace are a hindrance.

Thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 07:42 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Unless she is your subordinate you do nothing.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:47 AM

7,188 posts, read 9,322,724 times
If I were you I'd write a memo every Friday to the boss documenting your results for the week and your challenges.

It's not up to you to manage your co-worker but you do need to be sure your boss is not blind sighted.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:37 AM

461 posts, read 509,346 times
I agree with Vision67. I would document weekly what you have done each day or not been able to do with her absent. I would not want to falling stats to reflect badly on my hard work. That said, surely someone above is noticing all these absences? I know it is tough being a mother when kids get sick and such from daycare and you have to keep missing work. But still this job has to be done.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:55 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times
Do you guys have laptops? She can bring her laptop to work or have teamviewer on and work remotely from home. There is no real reason for not doing work even if you are not in the office.

i agree with Vision67. Record every time she is absent or has to leave early but remember this will put a scarlet letter on you. Everyone will see you as the company girl not to be trusted, etc.

Cuz, you know how your boss is going to start the convo with her is by saying, "hi X, fadeddaisy has brought to my attention that you are not pulling in your weight. That you call out from work at the last minute. What do you have to say for yourself." Then X will leave the meeting give you the evil eye and have lunch with another person and disclose what happen. X, " you know what the hewer, fadeddaisy, did?? she told bossman that i skip work and don't pull my weight" OMG, X is such a .....!

Old 06-27-2017, 09:08 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
First you have to figure out the politics of where you're working. If the coworker is a favorite or has some other special relationship with the boss, then your options are very limited.

You could confront the coworker, but I doubt this will work.

Otherwise, I'd ask my boss for help. I'd keep my emotions out of it and ask my boss for ideas on how to help this coworker. I'd give concrete examples of how this coworker is struggling with her responsibilities. Then I'd mention alternatives: maybe she needs more support outside of work, are there company resources that can help her?, may she needs more time off? etc.

I'd end this conversation with the fact that I really like the coworker and think she's a wonderful person. However, I thought you (the boss) should know what's going on. BTW, here's what I've been doing to try to keep things on track.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
First you have to figure out the politics of where you're working. If the coworker is a favorite or has some other special relationship with the boss, then your options are very limited.

You could confront the coworker, but I doubt this will work.

Otherwise, I'd ask my boss for help. I'd keep my emotions out of it and ask my boss for ideas on how to help this coworker. I'd give concrete examples of how this coworker is struggling with her responsibilities. Then I'd mention alternatives: maybe she needs more support outside of work, are there company resources that can help her?, may she needs more time off? etc.

I'd end this conversation with the fact that I really like the coworker and think she's a wonderful person. However, I thought you (the boss) should know what's going on. BTW, here's what I've been doing to try to keep things on track.
It's a no win situation since the person will always look at your different. Like you ratted them out but at the end of the day you shouldn't be doing double the work. She is taking advantage of you.

Maybe request to work solo or with another person.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:24 AM

108 posts, read 100,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Do you guys have laptops? She can bring her laptop to work or have teamviewer on and work remotely from home. There is no real reason for not doing work even if you are not in the office.

i agree with Vision67. Record every time she is absent or has to leave early but remember this will put a scarlet letter on you. Everyone will see you as the company girl not to be trusted, etc.

Cuz, you know how your boss is going to start the convo with her is by saying, "hi X, fadeddaisy has brought to my attention that you are not pulling in your weight. That you call out from work at the last minute. What do you have to say for yourself." Then X will leave the meeting give you the evil eye and have lunch with another person and disclose what happen. X, " you know what the hewer, fadeddaisy, did?? she told bossman that i skip work and don't pull my weight" OMG, X is such a .....!

We work from home already. It shows what we do by a "timestamp". I just don't understand why the Manager isn't seeing how this directly affects not only her but the entire team. It has been ongoing since January. I am not the type of employee to cause a ripple in the virtual workplace. I get along great with everyone, just wondering how much more they will take of it.

a little more background, the company door is consistently revolving! and everyone there is trying hard to fix that**

Old 06-27-2017, 09:31 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeddaisy26 View Post
Thoughts??
Sometimes coworkers suck. All you can do is just keep your head down and work, and make sure your boss knows the work you completed versus the other chick.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeddaisy26 View Post
We work from home already. It shows what we do by a "timestamp". I just don't understand why the Manager isn't seeing how this directly affects not only her but the entire team. It has been ongoing since January. I am not the type of employee to cause a ripple in the virtual workplace. I get along great with everyone, just wondering how much more they will take of it.

a little more background, the company door is consistently revolving! and everyone there is trying hard to fix that**
If you work from home then you should be advising your boss that X isn't pulling her weight. Why should you do more work?? X's paycheck comes in at 100% and so does yours.

X is only putting less than 70% so why is she getting 100% of her paycheck. It looks like you are putting 100+% but are not being compensated. You have 2 options just do your work and let poopoo hit the fans but just make sure you have all your ducks in a row. Or inform your boss of your issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment