Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 05:41 AM

35 posts, read 38,931 times

Advertisements

Two months ago I started a new job doing compliance and auditing. My job description was strictly those duties, with the occasional filing duties. I asked for a certain pay raise, but they said it was an 'entry level' job. I didn't get what I was asking for, but got just a tad bit more (say... 50 cents/hour) than the starting pay.

In the two months that I've been there, I have now taken on additional tasks. I've taken on most all of the duties for the department admin, such as billing, creating several monthly reports, ordering supplies for the entire department, sending out payroll information, etc. She was getting paid more than I currently am to do that job, and now I'm basically doing two jobs for less pay.

My original plan was to wait until my three month mark, and then talk to my direct supervisor about the possibility of a pay increase. However, I just learned that my supervisor will be leaving in a week and a half -going to a new job. I'm now taking on a couple of her job duties and attending leadership meetings in place of her.

In addition to all of this, we added a new hire to our team a month ago. The original plan was for him to take over and do some of the billing, etc. However, we have since found out that he is not quite cut out for that at this moment. Creating reports is also not something he grasps well. He has a very small work load, but this work load takes up a full day for him. The only reason this is somewhat problematic for me is that he looks to me as his supervisor. He is unsure of himself, so on most things he does, he has about 50 questions to ask. Some are the same questions again and again, and I have to walk him through completing the same tasks over and over. There's nothing wrong with this and I don't mind teaching/supervising him, but it does distract me from my already heavy workload when he needs me to take an hour or two out of my day to train him on stuff he has already been trained on - and I'm not even his supervisor.

With my boss leaving in just under two weeks, I'm wondering if it's "appropriate" to ask for a pay raise at this point due to all of these new duties I'm taking on. I don't want to come off as too entitled or not grateful for my job, but I do feel the pay is low for the amount of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 08:04 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,578 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Check the company policies first. Here, there is no way anyone will get a raise until they have been here 3 months, then they will be evaluated and given a raise if determined to be worthy. Since your supervisor is leaving, asking her for a raise now shouldn't cause you any grief, the worst she can do is say no, and won't be around to hold it against you if she considers it inappropriate.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:11 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue17 View Post
Two months ago I started a new job doing compliance and auditing. My job description was strictly those duties, with the occasional filing duties. I asked for a certain pay raise, but they said it was an 'entry level' job. I didn't get what I was asking for, but got just a tad bit more (say... 50 cents/hour) than the starting pay.

In the two months that I've been there, I have now taken on additional tasks. I've taken on most all of the duties for the department admin, such as billing, creating several monthly reports, ordering supplies for the entire department, sending out payroll information, etc. She was getting paid more than I currently am to do that job, and now I'm basically doing two jobs for less pay.

My original plan was to wait until my three month mark, and then talk to my direct supervisor about the possibility of a pay increase. However, I just learned that my supervisor will be leaving in a week and a half -going to a new job. I'm now taking on a couple of her job duties and attending leadership meetings in place of her.

In addition to all of this, we added a new hire to our team a month ago. The original plan was for him to take over and do some of the billing, etc. However, we have since found out that he is not quite cut out for that at this moment. Creating reports is also not something he grasps well. He has a very small work load, but this work load takes up a full day for him. The only reason this is somewhat problematic for me is that he looks to me as his supervisor. He is unsure of himself, so on most things he does, he has about 50 questions to ask. Some are the same questions again and again, and I have to walk him through completing the same tasks over and over. There's nothing wrong with this and I don't mind teaching/supervising him, but it does distract me from my already heavy workload when he needs me to take an hour or two out of my day to train him on stuff he has already been trained on - and I'm not even his supervisor.

With my boss leaving in just under two weeks, I'm wondering if it's "appropriate" to ask for a pay raise at this point due to all of these new duties I'm taking on. I don't want to come off as too entitled or not grateful for my job, but I do feel the pay is low for the amount of work.
I think you should ask what you think you are worth to any company - anytime, but that was my personal way of doing things. At the very least, you should ask management who will review you based on your work before your new supervisor is hired - and how your current work will be evaluated and applied to whatever raise you may have coming. But you should also be prepared for them to say no - or to not care. What then? Will you keep working as hard? Will you slack? Will the company then see you as a liability?

I would look for a new job and then if I find one (with as good conditions), then ask for the raise. If you get it, great. if you don't take the new job.

I see no point to being worked beyond your position requirements - especially to support others who are not doing what they should be. Ultimately, you have to look out for yourself, no one else will.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:40 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,576,183 times
I think you need to have leverage on your hand first. If you are really concern about getting more money for the work you do, try and look for another job. Once you land the job and got an offer, talk to your employer and let him/her know that you would like to stay in your current job, but you got a better offer. If the employer wants to keep you, you will get the raise that you deserve in the first place.

Without a leverage, asking for a raise is like going into a fight without preparing yourself. You got nothing to go up against the fight, so don't fight a fight without knowing you have a chance at least to win it.

Also, you have to keep in mind that if your employer said no, you should be prepare to leave. If you really do like the work at your current workplace, then you may not want to risk of losing the job by asking for a raise (well, maybe not losing your job).

Old 07-13-2017, 09:06 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
2 months and asking for a pay raise already?

Doesn't sound like a good way to start off a work relationship.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:12 AM

192 posts, read 131,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
2 months and asking for a pay raise already?

2 months and they have dramatically changed your agreed upon duties?

Old 07-13-2017, 09:39 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue17 View Post

Six months would be better. Even then, I might consider waiting.

Keep in mind companies pay you primarily for WHAT you do, not necessarily how hard you work, or how many things you do.

Since you have only 2 months of experience in your field (you said you're entry level), I'm guessing you're not doing anything all that crazy important for the company that helps them make $.

The fact that you are working hard and outshining your general peers is great. People will continue to give you work and trust you and then when you're up for promotion and review, it will happen.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:23 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Hmm, not sure which way this will go.

Some places, you're screwed if your salary is lowball. You say nothing, and they either give you a pitiful 0% to 2% raise. It may look bad and greedy that you're asking for more money.

OTOH, if you're a good employee, they may want to pay more to keep you on if it's too much trouble to find someone else, as well as keep training newcomers. It may also show initiative. Some places, they look favorably on employees who can ask for what they like. If you do ask for a raise, be sure to do some research on what others in your area and in your role make, and see if things pan out. Also build your case that you're taking on more tasks (including your boss', who surely makes more money than you). Don't just ask for more money strictly wanting more money.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:30 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
I think you need to have leverage on your hand first. If you are really concern about getting more money for the work you do, try and look for another job. Once you land the job and got an offer, talk to your employer and let him/her know that you would like to stay in your current job, but you got a better offer. If the employer wants to keep you, you will get the raise that you deserve in the first place.

Without a leverage, asking for a raise is like going into a fight without preparing yourself. You got nothing to go up against the fight, so don't fight a fight without knowing you have a chance at least to win it.

Also, you have to keep in mind that if your employer said no, you should be prepare to leave. If you really do like the work at your current workplace, then you may not want to risk of losing the job by asking for a raise (well, maybe not losing your job).
The OP already has leverage. They have taken on many additional tasks in addition to now having to train someone(being new themselves) and the new person isn't someone who picks up things quickly.

Really, really bad advice to go in and say you have another job offer after only a couple of months on the job, they will tell you goodbye and good luck. That's a risky move even after a few years, forget doing it in this situation.

OP needs to have their ducks in a row, it would help if they're documenting all the extra things they're doing in addition to training. Than you go in and in a calm tone present the facts.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:54 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezball View Post
2 months and they have dramatically changed your agreed upon duties?

I'd like to see that Job Description, because I bet you anything it doesn't just list those specific tasks...I bet it includes something like, " and other duties as assigned".

Asking for a raise two months in when you already agreed to the current rate? Yeah, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment