Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 03:20 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,497,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post

Some people do make their children a priority. Some kids need a parent at home, not just 'a nanny' or 'grandma' or the daycare system.
More power to em', but six years out of a career is basically a lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 03:21 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,208,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by politically_correct View Post
My unemployed friend tried to find a job when the kids turned 5 and went to school but has not had any luck for almost a year. He has gone to recruiters and had his interviewing skills checked by consultants. He has also attended classes on job hunting. Nothing has worked. The recruiters say that it is almost impossible to sell a candidate to employers who has not worked for over a year. If it is a women it can be a challenge but it can be easier.He was a senior accountant and has a CPA but now he can not even get an accounting job with a temp company. He is in Phoenix AZ with a strong job market. There is a shortage of accounting people but not for candidates who have no recent employment.
Have your accounting friend put down on his resume that he had his own accounting practice from home. All of his years of schooling and experience did NOT leave him because he was at home for six years. I am an accountant too. I use accounting in my business every day of my life. I don't need a corporate drone telling me what I am or am not capable of. Again, have your friend change his resume and get out there again if he is looking for a position in Corporate America. Play their game since they are the ones that make up the rules as they go along.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:34 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,208,600 times
Quote:
No offense but because your kid turns 4 or 5 do we automatically say, "Okay, shove him or her on the 'system?' My son is 9, nearly 10 and I am only just freed up to work now my husband works a night job.

Some people do make their children a priority. Some kids need a parent at home, not just 'a nanny' or 'grandma' or the daycare system. Not everyone has the money for 'daycare'--to me it's ironic people respect workers who spend 250-300 dollars a week on daycare so they 'can stay in the workforce' while stay at home parents are viewed with suspicion or 'amusement.'

Anyone who doubts being a stay at home parent is taxing, intensive, requires time management, and 'not a breeze' needs to do it for awhile.

As for getting a kid in school at 5...kindergarten is often half time...what do you do with the kid after the 3 hours ends? Or, on days off..?

Gypsysoul, I hear what you are saying completely. As a wife and mother who has devoted the last 24+ years to raising 7 children while working, putting my husband through seven years of pharmacy school, while going to school myself, while running a business, the corporate drones of the world will still say, "Is that ALL you did"?

We live in a society that validates and gives credence to those who bring in a paycheck. Everyone else is an invisible, a nobody. Our country pays lip service to "family values". In the end, it's all that it is.

P.S. - I should add that in the end, life is what we make of it and I believe we attract good things to us (or we repel them) by law of attraction. I hope that you find what you're looking for. Believe in it before it actually manifests. Wishing you the best.

Last edited by Donna7; 03-12-2008 at 04:15 PM..

Old 03-12-2008, 05:23 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,084,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post

We live in a society that validates and gives credence to those who bring in a paycheck. Everyone else is an invisible, a nobody. Our country pays lip service to "family values". In the end, it's all that it is.
Absolutely...and I am sick of it.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:00 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,908,538 times
Have him reflect those 6 years as self-employed in an accounting capacity...taxes, bookkeeping and such; shows entrepreneurship on his part while being Mr. Mom. My husband did b/keeping & taxes while he was employed and he did register the business as an LLC. It becomes his full time job while unemployed. At the last job where he got laid-off, he decided to pursue the business full time. It was not overlooked in his resume, especially if he was going for accounting jobs.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:19 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,711,737 times
I feel for your friend because soon I will be looking for work after being a SAHM for 5 years. I have put on my resume the volunteer things I have done and he should probably do the same if he has done work like that. I have my kids in pre-k that we pay for right now but it does not allow me to work even part-time anywhere; yeah, do I expect an employer to allow me to come in at 9:30 after the kiddos are in school, then leave at 12:30 to pick them up? No employer will allow that, and how about when they get sick and I have to pick them up, then what? It's laughable that someone said that at age 3 he could have done that. I commend your friend for trying to do what was right for his family and hope he can find a family oriented company somewhere...Good luck.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:34 AM

1,868 posts, read 5,684,349 times
[quote=GypsySoul22;3119001]No offense but because your kid turns 4 or 5 do we automatically say, "Okay, shove him or her on the 'system?' My son is 9, nearly 10 and I am only just freed up to work now my husband works a night job.

Some people do make their children a priority. Some kids need a parent at home, not just 'a nanny' or 'grandma' or the daycare system. Not everyone has the money for 'daycare'--to me it's ironic people respect workers who spend 250-300 dollars a week on daycare so they 'can stay in the workforce' while stay at home parents are viewed with suspicion or 'amusement.'

Bravo Gypsysoul....exactly what I was thinking! I walked away from my income and stayed home with my daughter until she was in first grade. Made some sacrifices and it was well worth it!! My childs welfare is more important to me than any "possessions" including money!! You can do "preschool" at home....sorry... 3 years old is too young to shove them off all day in my opinion.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:35 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,880,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon94 View Post
Quote:
No offense but because your kid turns 4 or 5 do we automatically say, "Okay, shove him or her on the 'system?' My son is 9, nearly 10 and I am only just freed up to work now my husband works a night job.

Bravo Gypsysoul....exactly what I was thinking! I walked away from my income and stayed home with my daughter until she was in first grade. Made some sacrifices and it was well worth it!! My childs welfare is more important to me than any "possessions" including money!! You can do "preschool" at home....sorry... 3 years old is too young to shove them off all day in my opinion.

So true from both of you.

With more than one child it is easy to stay out of the full time workforce for even longer than 5 or 6 years. My wife make much more than I do, so when we started having children it was natural for me to stay home with them and work on her off days only. While not totally out of the workforce for the entire time, I did just work 1 or 2 days a week usually and frankly still do. It has been almost 10 years and I wouldn't change a thing. Granted, I have a profession I can keep up with changes and keep updated with that few of hours, as well as working for myself so I set my own schedule around her work schedule. When they are all in school, I will pick up more work for during the day. It is nice that we know what they have been exposed to during the day because one of us is always home with them.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:20 PM

228 posts, read 797,747 times
I guess it depends on the profession he is trying to get back into. Honestly though, how much do professions really change in 6 years? Maybe some of the technology has changed, but I think people put too much influence on a resume and not the person. Why is it okay for a mother to take 6 years off but not a father. I say look past the resume, and consider the person.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:10 AM

935 posts, read 1,651,578 times
In my case, not only did the profession change drastically, I got older, into that dreaded range, and it's hard getting to the interview stage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment