Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 04:34 AM

116 posts, read 437,466 times

Advertisements

My friend is getting desparate and has redoubled his effort to get a job, any job. He has gone again to all the local employment agencies and told them he will do almost anything. He is treated politely but he could tell they thought he was so lazy man who had lied on his employment application. No one would believe someone would be out of the workforce for six years. They assume he is either lazy or had lied on his application to cover up for being fired. He also tried fast food and retail but so far no luck. These jobs go to kids and immigrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 04:38 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,215,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeHappy View Post
You sure hit the nail on the head with this post. I was reading thru this thread when your post stopped me in my tracks. Wow 7 kids & school & running a business !! Thank you for such a well written & honest post.

I am in no way going to fan the ever buring flames on the sore subjects between Mother that work outside the home and Mother that are primary caregivers. My thoughts below are merely IMO.

I am currently in the middle of churning waters myself. I really don't care for the phrase "Stay AT Home Mom" or those snarky comments like "Oh you don't work?" I say in my best Jersey Girl tone , "Um bite me." People can be so judgmental.
Being the primary caregiver for our home & it's inhabitants has been the most challenging & rewarding position I have ever held. It's not for everyone. I have friends on both sides of the fence and BOTH sides claim that the grass is greener on their side. They both defend their choices and so they should !
I truly feel for the man mentioned in the OP. I wish him all the best and I empathize with his situation. Do they give women the same flack?

So what have I been doing for 7 years? Between courting, marriage, an illness, pregnancies, moving, house building and making men, I've seemed to let those 7 years fly by.
Then recently I had my own personal epiphany.

By choice, I'm back in the "working" world. It makes me happy and a happy Mommy is a great Mommy. And yes, the laws of attraction do work. I was not even looking for this job. I walked in and I was hired on the spot. My husband epiphany was when he spent a week at home with our 2 toddlers. LOL Needless to say, he has a new found respect for ME. In addition, now I can say that I am both a Domestic Engineer and an Office Manager

ps My husband is cringing when I sing that old commercial jingle "I can bring home the bacon AND fry it up in a pan.." LOL
Hi there! I really love your post! I'm glad that your husband had the time alone for a week with the two little ones; I'm sure that it did give him an appreciation for what you do. I'm so glad that you're happy with both work and home; that is very important. I wish all of you continued happiness and health now and in the future.

Last edited by Donna7; 03-19-2008 at 04:49 AM..

Old 03-19-2008, 05:45 AM

228 posts, read 799,742 times
"Domestic Engineer" I love it!

Old 03-19-2008, 06:47 AM

395 posts, read 492,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by politically_correct View Post
My friend is getting desparate and has redoubled his effort to get a job, any job. He has gone again to all the local employment agencies and told them he will do almost anything. He is treated politely but he could tell they thought he was so lazy man who had lied on his employment application. No one would believe someone would be out of the workforce for six years. They assume he is either lazy or had lied on his application to cover up for being fired. He also tried fast food and retail but so far no luck. These jobs go to kids and immigrants.
first where is does your friend live? is the job market this bad where he lived? u said his wife is a bigshot working in a big company...right? can't she help him to get a job in her company?

Old 03-19-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentnyc View Post
first where is does your friend live? is the job market this bad where he lived? u said his wife is a bigshot working in a big company...right? can't she help him to get a job in her company?
Here lives in Phoenix AZ which has a OK economy. There are thousands of jobs he could do but no one will hire him because he has no recent employment. His wife's company will not hire relatives of local workers.Actually if he could get a part time job at McDonalds for minimum wage it would not help him all that much because it only pays $7.00 an hour and money is not the reason he wants to get back to the workforce. He wants to get back into the Accounting field where he is a trained Accountant with a CPA. If he applies for lower level jobs with less background investigation he is told he is over qualified. For higher level jobs he is underqualified because he has been out of the world of work for so long. He has applied at hundreds of places and used every employment agency in town. NOTHING!

Old 03-19-2008, 08:23 AM

395 posts, read 492,625 times
i dont know what to tell u...we are in a tough market right now...i think we are in a recession. him working at micky's d won't help either by getting his foot at the accounting door.

if he is really desparate, he should told those overqualified job employer that his situation and that he won't mind the lower pay because it is a stepping stones. then some would probably believes him and hire him.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:26 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,395,200 times
Has he tried Accountemps or Acsys or other temp agencies?

Has he tried hanging his own shingle to help people with taxes or something along that line?

Old 03-22-2008, 03:49 PM

622 posts, read 3,116,773 times
Wow!

I'm the exact person the OP was referring to. Not really, but I did stay home when my 6 yo girl was born, while my wife kept working. We both had pretty good jobs but we made the choice for me to stay home when the time came.

Now we have a 2 yo son as well.

Maybe in a couple of years or so, I will try and go back to doing Electrical work, but for now big DADDY takes care of the kids. I love it! Did I mention it's very VERY hard work? omg respect...

lol Seriously, if you can do that, you can handle any crisis.

I don't see how a company would NEED an accountant in a thin market and just overlook someone like that. This is really confusing to me. I know when my boss wa hiring, if you knew your stuff, he didn't care what you did or didn't do. You knew your stuff, period. You were going to do the job you were hired for. Talk about profiling! Or is that discrimination? Hmmm. I've been gone too long. lol

Anyway, good luck to your friend. Maybe he should try a "Mom and pop" accounting office. They would possibly make less of a blanket decision on this.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:37 PM

Default Yes Yes Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
Has he tried Accountemps or Acsys or other temp agencies?

Has he tried hanging his own shingle to help people with taxes or something along that line?
He has tried all the temp agencies, including the ones mentioned, no luck.He has tried all the local small accounting firms, no luck. No recent job history, no references, no job. But keep the ideas coming.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:12 AM

622 posts, read 3,116,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by politically_correct View Post
He has tried all the temp agencies, including the ones mentioned, no luck.He has tried all the local small accounting firms, no luck. No recent job history, no references, no job. But keep the ideas coming.

Get work as a new grad would go about it. He'll get lower pay, but he'll have a job at least. If there still isn't work for him, then the job market is to blame, not his 6 year absence.

New grads don't have a history, or references, or skills like this guy either. Experience can't be "forgotten". Good luck to him.

IMO, it looks like the market is not there for his line of work, not that he is unwanted. It seems ridiculous to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment