Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 07:56 AM

116 posts, read 436,861 times

Advertisements

A man applied for a job at my company who had not worked for six years. His wife is the big bread winner in the family and did not want their twin sons living in day care until they reached kindergarten, so they decided Dad would quit his job and take care of them until they went to school. The Mother is a business executive making a big salary and would have a harder time taking off work for that period of time.Anyway, the man is now trying to get back into the professional world now that the kids are in school. His resume has no employment since 2002. He was brought into our company as a favor to a employee who referred him. I understand the man has been looking for work for almost a year now and has had no luck at all.Everyone assumes his story is made up. One person said, "why would a man not work for 6 years and take care of kids full time?" Others assume his story is made up and he is just trying to hide being fired from his previous jobs. Others say he is out of touch to the modern workplace for being out so long.Would you hire someone in a professional mid career job who has not worked for six years? Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 09:00 AM

395 posts, read 490,652 times
why not if he is qualify to do the work? there are probationary period like for 3-6 months. and he does poorly, just fire him.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:16 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Why would he make it up? I don't know if I'd want to work for your company if people are so cynical and down on stay at home dads!

Old 03-12-2008, 11:17 AM

260 posts, read 947,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Why would he make it up? I don't know if I'd want to work for your company if people are so cynical and down on stay at home dads!
I completely agree with you... I guess there are still people out there thinking that women are the only ones that should sacrifice their careers for their family's sake.
If anything, and if the man has the qualifications, I would hire him for the simple fact of the great level of commitment it takes to stay home raising the kids.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:42 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,206,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayamyers View Post
I completely agree with you... I guess there are still people out there thinking that women are the only ones that should sacrifice their careers for their family's sake.
If anything, and if the man has the qualifications, I would hire him for the simple fact of the great level of commitment it takes to stay home raising the kids.
Here, here. Sounds like the Mr. Mom has a lot of maturity and commitment, and if anything, he would be an ASSET to any company.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:02 PM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
It is common practice in Europe and you come across it more and more in the US. Six years is a bit long - does he have the skill set to jump right in?

Old 03-12-2008, 02:03 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
The only concern I have is the six years number. If they are twins, they could have entered pre-school at 3yrs. Kindergarten starts at 5. So why six years?

Old 03-12-2008, 02:33 PM

116 posts, read 436,861 times
Default He tried to find a job last year

My unemployed friend tried to find a job when the kids turned 5 and went to school but has not had any luck for almost a year. He has gone to recruiters and had his interviewing skills checked by consultants. He has also attended classes on job hunting. Nothing has worked. The recruiters say that it is almost impossible to sell a candidate to employers who has not worked for over a year. If it is a women it can be a challenge but it can be easier.He was a senior accountant and has a CPA but now he can not even get an accounting job with a temp company. He is in Phoenix AZ with a strong job market. There is a shortage of accounting people but not for candidates who have no recent employment.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:44 PM

395 posts, read 490,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by politically_correct View Post
My unemployed friend tried to find a job when the kids turned 5 and went to school but has not had any luck for almost a year. He has gone to recruiters and had his interviewing skills checked by consultants. He has also attended classes on job hunting. Nothing has worked. The recruiters say that it is almost impossible to sell a candidate to employers who has not worked for over a year. If it is a women it can be a challenge but it can be easier.He was a senior accountant and has a CPA but now he can not even get an accounting job with a temp company. He is in Phoenix AZ with a strong job market. There is a shortage of accounting people but not for candidates who have no recent employment.
i dont care if u have work experience or not. but an accountant with cpa here in nyc...if i were an employer...i would hire him in an heartbeat.

since everyone is telling him that he has not work in 6 yrs....why dont he just start volunteer work doing account work in an .org organization and then start looking for work. i bet that will help. or work for free for a company and then he has something to put on his resume. or tax season is just around the corner and do perrsonal tax for individuals?

Old 03-12-2008, 02:53 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
The only concern I have is the six years number. If they are twins, they could have entered pre-school at 3yrs. Kindergarten starts at 5. So why six years?
No offense but because your kid turns 4 or 5 do we automatically say, "Okay, shove him or her on the 'system?' My son is 9, nearly 10 and I am only just freed up to work now my husband works a night job.

Some people do make their children a priority. Some kids need a parent at home, not just 'a nanny' or 'grandma' or the daycare system. Not everyone has the money for 'daycare'--to me it's ironic people respect workers who spend 250-300 dollars a week on daycare so they 'can stay in the workforce' while stay at home parents are viewed with suspicion or 'amusement.'

Anyone who doubts being a stay at home parent is taxing, intensive, requires time management, and 'not a breeze' needs to do it for awhile.

As for getting a kid in school at 5...kindergarten is often half time...what do you do with the kid after the 3 hours ends? Or, on days off..?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment