Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 12:22 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,226,748 times

Advertisements

I am in the auto industry......working for new car dealerships for the last 31 years. I work for a very large auto group that carries many different brands.I have seen dealers busy as all hell and also slow up......Been through a recession around 91 and of course 2008. The car line I work for is very popular and the dealer I work for is among the top in the region. Around October 2016 the business started slowing up......bot just in our own stores but other dealers too. This summer which is normally very busy has been very dead.......It's not just dealers......Its auto repair shops.....body shops.....auto parts stores....other car dealers we are friends with say it is really slow too.......People are not buying cars or parts like they used to. Yet, the stock market seems strong. I have not seen it this bad or slow since 2008.

So is anyone else feeling anything like this in your particular line of work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 12:36 PM

3,401 posts, read 3,606,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
I am in the auto industry......working for new car dealerships for the last 31 years. I work for a very large auto group that carries many different brands.I have seen dealers busy as all hell and also slow up......Been through a recession around 91 and of course 2008. The car line I work for is very popular and the dealer I work for is among the top in the region. Around October 2016 the business started slowing up......bot just in our own stores but other dealers too. This summer which is normally very busy has been very dead.......It's not just dealers......Its auto repair shops.....body shops.....auto parts stores....other car dealers we are friends with say it is really slow too.......People are not buying cars or parts like they used to. Yet, the stock market seems strong. I have not seen it this bad or slow since 2008.

So is anyone else feeling anything like this in your particular line of work?
Maybe, is kind of hard to tell just by this. By the way, I might be interested in getting. I was wondering if you can give me some advice on either leasing it or buying a brand new one or buy a second hand one.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:51 PM

3,577 posts, read 2,921,745 times
I'm in Seattle and the economy is presently booming in the greater Puget Sound area.
Where are you calling home?

Old 07-25-2017, 12:57 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,210,703 times
Heck no, things are booming.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
I'm in Seattle and the economy is presently booming in the greater Puget Sound area.
Where are you calling home?
New York......where you would think it would be booming......but I am guessing it depends what you do for a living. Maybe it is just the Auto industry hurting......very hard to tell unless you get input from all different lines of work.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Heck no, things are booming.
But booming where and what type of work is booming?

Old 07-25-2017, 01:32 PM

245 posts, read 384,161 times
I agree the auto industry is slowing down. the Auto parts market is floundering. I use to sell used auto parts on ebay and I would usually sell those parts within a week of the ad being posted. Now I haven't sold a part in months. Also Autozone and Oreilly's auto parts stock have been declining for months now. I believe this is due to the fact customers are not buying auto parts because they don't need to when they have financed new car purchases with an 84 month loan. People with new cars don't frequent the parts stores like used car owners.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:40 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,210,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
But booming where and what type of work is booming?
Massachusetts. Everything. Bio tech, robotics, clean tech, finance, medicine, academia, real estate, construction, pretty much everything under the sun... even beer brewing!

Old 07-25-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Massachusetts. Everything. Bio tech, robotics, clean tech, finance, medicine, academia, real estate, construction, pretty much everything under the sun... even beer brewing!
Ah......Everything I don't do......I started in a dealer at 18 out of high school.....fast forward 31 years and it has been my only career......I am just trying to stay in the game for at least 12 more years.

Old 07-25-2017, 03:31 PM

455 posts, read 582,300 times
Things are booming it seems, also I am about done with car dealers. The buying experience is just terrible, and cars cost so much money now.

Im just going to drive the 2 we got till the wheels fall off, should give me enough time to save some cash to buy another at that point so I wont have to deal with haggling the interest rate with the dealer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment