Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 12:10 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times

Advertisements

As the others have said, this offer/guy is not legit. Just like Colorado there is a ton of red tape involved in anything marijuana in Las Vegas. It is impossible to just come here and set up shop. Plus the minimum age is 21 for any and everything marijuana related.

Don't fall for this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 02:36 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Go enlist in the Navy, or the Air Force. Don't join up with this guy, who sounds like he is going to put you into a slave situation. Either taking care of his crops, or something far worse. No one who has your best interest at heart is going to give you this kind of ultimatum.

Please don't let your indecision of what you want to do as you get into the work field make you feel pressured into what definitely sounds illegal, and possibly mentally and physically harmful to you.
There are human traffickers who inslave groups of people....organizations that do everything from force kids to sell things door to door....to sex slaves. These bad folks will withhold food, and money and everything and dole it out, not enough for you to be able to hop a bus back home....and not enough to be able to save yourself.

You can get a decent education and training in almost any branch of the service. Otherwise, get any job that you can....But do not sell your life away to this guy.

https://humantraffickinghotline.org/...ognizing-signs

https://www.dhs.gov/blue-campaign/id...%2Btrafficking

https://www.smdailyjournal.com/opini...98740bbe5.html

http://ag.nv.gov/Human_Trafficking/HT_Signs/

http://www.onlinedatingsafetytips.co...rafficking.cfm

There are many more links online to help educate yourself. So that you can avoid making the wrong choice.

Regarding enlisting....there are many locations, look in your local phone book, or online. here is a link to a search for enlisting....
My SIL was from a family like you describe and grew up in small town in Wisc with a drug user Mom and absent father....He joined the NAVY right out of high school. He is a chief in the Navy now, he makes a 6 figure salary....a highly decorated diver and lives in beautiful Santa Barbara area of Calif.
He took tests and moved up....and it is doable. You can do this, or anything else that you set your mind too.

PS there is a very large population of homeless people in places like Vegas and in a State like Nevada. they get there by making the mistakes you are about to make.

Last edited by JanND; 07-28-2017 at 03:13 PM..

Old 07-28-2017, 03:05 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
I don't understand how this guy is in a position to give you any kind of ultimatum. Remember, an ultimatum is usually a demand that you do what the person tells you or something bad will happen to you. In order to be truly an ultimatum it must come from someone who is in a position of power over you, or has the power to take action to harm you.

It sounds as though this guy has given you what he thinks is a limited time offer: agree to his terms right now or live with the consequences that you might have been better off if you had agreed. I think that's a consequence you can easily accept.

It's impossible for us to know what you should do with your life, but I think most of us agree that the proposal you have received doesn't seem like a good risk, especially since it would involve abandoning your well thought out life plans.

You don't need this guy or his "ultimatum".

Old 07-28-2017, 03:18 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Forget the associates degree. If you want to make some money go find a job working for a plumber, electrician, pipe fitter, welder, or many other fields. You said that you don't do well in school. You also said you want to leave poverty behind. I know a lot of people working jobs in trades that make a lot of money and have never set foot in a school. I know others that have gone thru an internship program for five or so years and they are making a lot of money.

I know of welders making $200,000 and more a year. Is that the escape from poverty that you are looking for?

Old 07-28-2017, 04:07 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
What do you hope to accomplish with a non-STEM associate's degree? That won't get you out of your current predicament.....
I would gladly change places to be that age again. Youth is not a predicament.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:38 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
Sounds like a trafficking situation. Run far, far away.

Where in Florida are you? Season is starting soon and if you can get a job now as a server in a restaurant, you can make $$$ in tips from October through Aprilish. Your income will drop down again after that, but it should be enough to get you ahead. Go buy a $1,000 beater now. What bills do you have? You have almost a year to get out of your situation, and this does not seem like a crisis at all. Are you going to be going to school full-time? I agree with the poster who suggested a trade. If you have a technical college near you, see which program appeals. A two-year degree from one of those programs will be much more valuable than an associate's degree. Start looking for a roommate after Christmas to give yourself plenty of time, so you're not panicking when May rolls around. You can do this.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:55 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
If I were you, I'd take the Amazon job. It has benefits:

Part-Time Employment with Benefits
Over 70 percent of part-time employees in Amazon's Virtual Customer Service and Customer Fulfillment work more than 20 hours per week, which means they receive benefits, including life and disability insurance, dental and vision insurance with premiums paid in full by Amazon, and funding towards medical insurance. These part-time employees can also take advantage of the company's Career Choice program, an innovative benefit that helps train employees for in-demand jobs at Amazon or elsewhere so that they can take full advantage of the nation's innovation economy. The program pre-pays 95 percent of tuition for courses related to in-demand fields, regardless of whether the skills are relevant to a future career at Amazon. More than 9,000 employees have participated in Career Choice and more are signing up every day.

There are Amazon fulfillment centers practically everywhere now, so if you later decide you want to stay with the company but need a change of scenery, you can get a transfer.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:36 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
He should stop smoking what he sells.
Seriously: I think you are too young and inexperienced to perform a "due-diligence" analysis of that business and weigh its chances for success. So I would play it safe and stick to the plan of staying put and attending CC. You are building the skills to be successful on your own, instead of relying on a crapshoot by moving to Nevada and embarking on a business you know nothing about, with a guy you barely know.
+1 on what 2NCCoast says. A quick search on Nevada marijuana reveals the setup in NV is likely to result in the failures of many fly by night gold seekers. Retailers need to be well funded, not a get rich quick schemer.

You have a good plan ; stick to it.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:50 PM

858 posts, read 1,807,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Forget the associates degree. If you want to make some money go find a job working for a plumber, electrician, pipe fitter, welder, or many other fields. You said that you don't do well in school. You also said you want to leave poverty behind. I know a lot of people working jobs in trades that make a lot of money and have never set foot in a school. I know others that have gone thru an internship program for five or so years and they are making a lot of money.

I know of welders making $200,000 and more a year. Is that the escape from poverty that you are looking for?
I agree. Working is the trades is a very good option to getting a degree.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:00 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times
Scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam scam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment