Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 02:52 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Well if you said you have trouble with math keep in mind that programming (computer science) requires tons of it.
Sorry, this simply isn't true. I have a Master's degree in Computer Science, have worked for 40+ years in software related fields over my career (including as a computer scientist doing contract work with NASA and the DoD), and there's little math involved unless you're designing highly technical algorithms like real-time trading and statistical analysis or advanced graphics. A lot of logic and reasoning, but no math in almost all software related careers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 03:31 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingwestside View Post
My degree is he standard 2-year so I can transfer to a university. I haven't decided my major but I was considering something with computer technology or programming.
You'll do much better following that goal than this person who is giving you an ultimatum.

Go to your local college and talk to admissions. Find out what it takes to get enrolled next semester. Also, talk to financial aid check on grants, and pell grants and see if you might qualify for extra support.

If you are from a poor family....find out the location of the TRIO program on campus. Go an talk to the TRIO Dept. get a head start on all the help they offer someone in your position.

This is an extremely helpful program for those of us who were either first generation college students, single parents or poor. There are many perks....including extra help in subjects like math, babysitting for studying, tutors, guidance in applying for grants etc.....too many perks to even list here.

Link]
https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/li...rio/index.html

Do not go down the road that this guy is offering. It is a dead end road. Also, who knows if he is legit.....if he isn't then whatever legal trouble happens, you will be part of......You especially don't want legal trouble.

You got this....go and get started on your college education. Work at McD's or anywhere else legit while you are getting started on college. Please update

Just a few interesting links hopefully to inspire you.
http://money.cnn.com/2013/12/31/pf/h...nts/index.html
https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...on-family-home
http://www.affordablecollegesonline....tudents-guide/
https://www2.ed.gov/programs/homeless/index.html

Old 07-29-2017, 10:15 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,977 times
Well they just made recreational mj legal in NV, though it is still illegal by federal law. I think your friends startup has the potential to make a lot of money if he is a smart business man, though keep in mind that all the gubment regulations surrounding the sale of mj are going to put a massive dent in his profit margin.

But say go for it. If it doesn't work out you can always move back to FL and start your associates. Just make sure you have a little something put away for the move back home.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:09 AM

11 posts, read 8,436 times
I used to live in Vegas for 16 years, and I ran a COLLECTIVE/non-profit. (GM)..
And look on that subject. Vegas has been prepping on this for a while. ALOT of competition will be pouring in against you. But its probably the best industry period.
Problem? VEGAS period.. HEAT, tourism, material world, its the most toxic city ive lived in period.
servers and strippers make more than doctors . So if you can mentally do it , id say go for it. Heat wont be bad because florida...lol. The good on my right shoulder is yelling at me to tell you dont do it. save the toxicity.

cannabis:

I know you think its a "drug". I see reply's negative on here downplaying the fact its a MULTI MILLION dollar industry. IS taxed, regulated, and now recreational with diff laws. Please do not let that or anyone affect the judgement of This guy just because.....xxx you know? if he smokes for leisure, and is productively starting a business. Make sure the investors have their stuff straight. And licencing is HUGE in vegas with restrictions about where's and children/parks/etc.

And it is frustrating to see many people uneducated on the subject. Doctors, Medical students, or the brainwashed generation that thinks it still makes your brain mush or you melt into a couch ... do your research instead of just talking down on something you have not touched since the 70s.
There was a 30yr study on 10,000 genetics of cannabis. and 100 of them alone reverses different processes in cancer. Sativa vs Indica? one is smoke n go with clarity and IB properties. indicia is definitely not for anyone first trying it. Its sad actually. Cannabidiol, cannabinoids actually are a universal like vitamin and are NON psychoactive.... and TetraCanabadiol is very different. many different compounds and have different effects on the receptors in your melon muscle. lol.

ALLL INFO ABOVE IS REALLY JUST FOR THE HATERS. and uneducated flexing your decisions.
and looks like you made it already

good luck in florida!!

Old 07-30-2017, 07:24 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
Actually Vegas is a great city for low wage service workers because the whole city is based upon it and the cost of living reflects that.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:59 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
I don't think the problem is the marijuana. I have no problem with recreational cannabis use. I do have a problem with human trafficking, which it seems that this situation is. Creepy guy, young girl with a rough home life, an "ultimatum".... it all adds up to a big red flag in my mind.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:03 AM

3,251 posts, read 2,554,212 times
Join a trade union. Make some awesome money, have great benefits and retirement, and travel the United State if you wish.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:16 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
@kindofabigdeal

Nobody on this thread has spoken out against the marijuana industry. People are concerned that OP is being scammed. The particular industry has nothing to do with it.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:17 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
Join a trade union. Make some awesome money, have great benefits and retirement, and travel the United State if you wish.
A lot of that is regional. Judging from the your screen name, you are from my beloved hometown in the Northeast. Yes, unions are big there. I now live in Texas, and no one belongs to a trade union here. A few do, but they have a harder time getting jobs than those who don't She may be in a place that is similar.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:25 AM

3,251 posts, read 2,554,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
A lot of that is regional. Judging from the your screen name, you are from my beloved hometown in the Northeast. Yes, unions are big there. I now live in Texas, and no one belongs to a trade union here. A few do, but they have a harder time getting jobs than those who don't She may be in a place that is similar.
Work is booming in DFW. We can't keep the calls filled, travelers from the across the US are coming in to fill them. I've never been out of work for more than 2 weeks in the 5 years I've been here, and the number of times I could count on one hand.

Unions are great for women. They are guaranteed the same minimum wage and benefits as men. I know a woman who went through the apprenticeship, bounced around as a journeyman and is now a foreman for a large company. She's very smart. Yes, she's had to deal with a bit of harassment from idiots but it's never stopped her from moving up.

It's also very easy to move into more administrative fields if she doesn't want to be doing the dirty work. Estimating, project managing, engineering. The trades can take you as far as you want to go, or they can make for a decent living if you prefer a simpler life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment