Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 10:38 AM

50,809 posts, read 36,501,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
So is industry going down the tubes or moving out of recreation marijuana States?
Better yet, rethinking the drug policy and taking marijuana testing out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 10:43 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
If the employer in question were offering $60/hour, eminently qualified machinists would be coming out of retirement to apply for these positions, as would mechanical engineers seeking to retrain.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:44 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
right, like i thought, the employees want to be paid more than they are worth

But it's the beloved free market dictating wages. If a job can't find someone to work for the wages offered they have keep increasing them until they do get somebody. Of course now with the indentured worker program (H1B) that's not as important.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:15 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
The place my son works is always short handed. The pay is good, there is a full benefit and retirement package. They don't even get as far as the drug testing. As soon as the oh-so-desperate-job-seeker discovers that first hires work the night shift and weekends until they can work themselves up the seniority chain, they won't even apply.

My son made $125,000 last year and the people whining about how they can't find a job simply tell me that their free time is much too valuable for them to work weekends.

I'm seeing signs on the burger flipper jobs saying they are hiring and paying $12 an hour. That's good money for not doing much of anything in a job where you take responsibility for nothing.

It might be the wages in some cases, but that doesn't seem to be the problem overall, especially if plenty of people are applying at that salary level but can't pass the drug test.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:01 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
I do work for a manufacturing company in Los Angeles.
They have a laundry list half a page long of qualifications for new machinist hires.
Gee, they ought to be ashamed of themselves. Asking for actual qualifications (sarcasm).

It's 2017. When will people get over the fact that people actually have to tangible skills nowadays.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:56 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The place my son works is always short handed. The pay is good, there is a full benefit and retirement package. They don't even get as far as the drug testing. As soon as the oh-so-desperate-job-seeker discovers that first hires work the night shift and weekends until they can work themselves up the seniority chain, they won't even apply.

My son made $125,000 last year and the people whining about how they can't find a job simply tell me that their free time is much too valuable for them to work weekends.

I'm seeing signs on the burger flipper jobs saying they are hiring and paying $12 an hour. That's good money for not doing much of anything in a job where you take responsibility for nothing.

It might be the wages in some cases, but that doesn't seem to be the problem overall, especially if plenty of people are applying at that salary level but can't pass the drug test.
Back in my hometown in rural PA I know people who live full time off the dole or disability because it pays more than whatever low wage job that is available.

Old 07-30-2017, 01:07 PM

119 posts, read 95,514 times
The factory I work at gets plenty of new hires, problem is they just don't last very long on the job. Most don't even stick it out for 3 weeks.

Old 07-30-2017, 02:02 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,883,162 times
When the national unemployment rate dips below 5% (currently 4.4) the hiring pool for qualified applicants (even un-skilled) is no more than a very shallow puddle.

An employer can pay more and maybe hire away employees from a another industry or competitor, but that just transfers the hiring cost and burden to another employer and does not solve the problem.

Simply raising the earning level does not produce new and qualified candidates, the available pool is a quantified amount.

Also, the average unemployment rate is simply that, averaged. If someone has a skill, training, or qualifying education, the rate is much lower, even dips into negative numbers.

Old 07-30-2017, 03:25 PM

10,900 posts, read 7,393,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Back in my hometown in rural PA I know people who live full time off the dole or disability because it pays more than whatever low wage job that is available.
That's true here, too. On local discussion boards, I've seen new arrivals asking for info on applying for the dole and food stamps. What a moving plan!

Old 07-30-2017, 04:49 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
The only thing a "skills gap" means is that there are people unwilling to take those jobs at their present wage/working conditions.

Remember years back when the US was complaining about a shortage of pharmacists? That's an incredibly difficult degree...and in some states, like Texas, you now have to get a doctorate (Pharm.D.) in order to be a pharmacist. Students across the US rose to the challenge and we how have a glut of pharmacists.

The media still claims there's a nursing shortage but I hear differently from "baby nurses" on the ground looking for work after getting their ASN/BSN. Lots of crappy temp work and the worst shifts always. Regardless, there are still waiting lists in nursing programs across the country. That's not a bird course either...it's heavy on science and crosses multiple disciplines.

Long story short...if the wages are right, you'll get qualified applicants. If the field requires further education, people will go get it to get a good job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment