Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 06:37 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

An Ohio factory owner said Saturday that though she has blue-collar jobs available at her company, she struggles to fill positions because so many candidates fail drug tests.

Regina Mitchell, a co-owner of Warren Fabricating & Machining in Hubbard, Ohio, told The New York Times this week that four out of 10 applicants otherwise qualified to be welders, machinists and crane operators will fail a routine drug test.

This Ohio factory owner says she has jobs but few sober applicants - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 10:41 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,898,606 times
Unfortunately, it is not unique to the particular factory or even to the geographic area.

My factory is also currently hiring for several hourly positions--a 2nd shift Shipping clerk, several machine operators, and a couple of entry-level utility operators. We are in a Rust-Belt area so we don't have any shortage of applicants, and we are getting quite a few who have some good qualifications.

Our problem also is with people failing the drug screen. We've had people try and pass off bought urine as their own and other stupid stunts. I changed the ad so that it mentions at the bottom that all successful applicants must take and pass a urine and hair sample drug screen. Hopefully that helps some self-select out of the process...

It's kind of frustrating. There is substance abuse in my family and I've worked before on a volunteer basis with people who have issues with drugs.

Most of the positive tests here are for 1) opioids and 2) meth.

Old 07-30-2017, 05:54 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
What kind of wages are they offering? Usually low wages= low quality workers.

But this is where a lot of businesses run into a dilemma. They want a quality worker but can't (or won't) pay what it takes to get one.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:01 AM

862 posts, read 976,698 times
Probably only offering low pay.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:49 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,227,511 times
I do work for a manufacturing company in Los Angeles.
They have a laundry list half a page long of qualifications for new machinist hires. They are constantly in the news complaining about not being able to get workers and want to import labor from India. They pay $15/hr. $2 above the local minimum wage.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:50 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
They have a laundry list half a page long of qualifications for new machinist hires. They are constantly in the news complaining about not being able to get workers and want to import labor from India. They pay $15/hr. $2 above the local minimum wage.
That's the problem. They expect a skilled machinist to work for McWages. The skilled machinist will not, so I guess the company will have to bring in the foreign labor.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:46 AM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
Ahh, just as I thought.

Whenever I read headlines of people saying they simply cannot find enough 'qualified' (read: U.S. citizens) workers, the cynical side of me can't help but think it's just a public front and excuse to hire cheaper labor, both from abroad and locally using illegals or the like.

It's like those CEO's that whine about there not being enough qualified native Americans for IT jobs and all, when in fact they're angling to hire more H1B Visa holders.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:12 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Ahh, just as I thought.

Whenever I read headlines of people saying they simply cannot find enough 'qualified' (read: U.S. citizens) workers, the cynical side of me can't help but think it's just a public front and excuse to hire cheaper labor, both from abroad and locally using illegals or the like.

It's like those CEO's that whine about there not being enough qualified native Americans for IT jobs and all, when in fact they're angling to hire more H1B Visa holders.
right, like i thought, the employees want to be paid more than they are worth

Old 07-30-2017, 10:32 AM

50,809 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
right, like i thought, the employees want to be paid more than they are worth

"They have a laundry list half a page long of qualifications for new machinist hires."

Sounds like they expect a lot of qualifications and experience in the folks they hire, why shouldn't the people who have them get paid appropriately for them?

Old 07-30-2017, 10:34 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
An Ohio factory owner said Saturday that though she has blue-collar jobs available at her company, she struggles to fill positions because so many candidates fail drug tests.<>
So is industry going down the tubes or moving out of recreation marijuana States?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment