Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 08:50 AM

508 posts, read 459,703 times

Advertisements

My management, at the last minute, decided I should attend a meeting that directly affects my work and my customers, so had me invited. I would say I was the most outspoken and had the most opinions in this meeting. They said they would schedule a follow up meeting for 30 days. I received the invite, but I was only set up as an "optional" attendee. Of course I'm thinking wtf. Shortly after, our group had an unrelated meeting scheduled and my management was there. I verbalized that I was not happy about being considered optional and my asst manager said outloud, "you always gets upset at these kind of things" (or something to that affect). He was smiling when he said it, but it really annoyed me. Am I not allowed to be pissed off? Guys in my group swear and get angry all the time and I've NEVER heard management tell them to calm down, stop being so emotional, etc.

The rest of the day I was annoyed at the whole thing. I told my friend who's a manager at a different company and he said this person should never have said that, that he would get in trouble at his company if he said that to me in front of others. It's out of line and possibly sexist.

Agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 08:59 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,599,516 times
So this all stemmed from the fact you felt slighted for being made "optional"? That's ridiculous. If you were left off of the meeting all together I can see your frustration, but to make a scene for being made optional warrants the response you got.

This is a very petty thing to complain about, and definitely not sexist.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:04 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Next designation: optional employee. Followed by...

Old 07-30-2017, 09:08 AM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
So this all stemmed from the fact you felt slighted for being made "optional"? That's ridiculous. If you were left off of the meeting all together I can see your frustration, but to make a scene for being made optional warrants the response you got.

This is a very petty thing to complain about, and definitely not sexist.
Exactly.

This is as petty as it comes, sorry.

Being optional is considered an insult and 'sexist?' In what universe would either of those be considered 'sexist.' Things like these are what sets back the movement for women's rights and respect in the work force.

The OP's friend at another company is completely wrong. Why shouldn't the assistant manager have said that? The OP was the one that tried to make a mountain out of an anthill at the meeting, and was totally unprofessional complaining about this non issue in front of everyone. The OP should have PRIVATELY inquired about why she was optional, instead of trying to stir petty drama in front of everyone.

And, as always, I know the OP is only looking for 'advice' and support from those who agree with her assessment of the situation. Rest assured, she will never agree with those of us who think her arguments are baseless, and I see this turning into another 8 plus page thread of her bickering back and forth that she is right and we are not.

The OP does seem to have an personal issue that she needs to resolve

Taking Time Off Yet Working Anyway - Bad Thing?

Old 07-30-2017, 09:08 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,944,373 times
i think you're blowing the whole thing out of proportion.. and being "optional" isn't something to feel slighted by.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:12 AM

508 posts, read 459,703 times
Why do people feel a need to pull up other completely unrelated posts? Like seriously, are you that bored?

I didn't say not being originally included in the meeting or being considered optional in the meeting was sexist, I asked if what the asst manager said was. I'm asking because someone else who IS a manager said that. JC you people are unreal. Why have a forum when you start treating people like a pile of crap.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:15 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,599,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mila123 View Post
Why do people feel a need to pull up other completely unrelated posts? Like seriously, are you that bored?

I didn't say not being originally included in the meeting or being considered optional in the meeting was sexist, I asked if what the asst manager said was. I'm asking because someone else who IS a manager said that. JC you people are unreal. Why have a forum when you start treating people like a pile of crap.
No it's not sexist. It is merely an observation, because I am assuming you complain about this kind of stuff all the time.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:09 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,883,162 times
You brought this up in a general meeting? If so, then you effectively hijacked the purpose of the meeting. A more professional method would be to meet the with your supervisor individually.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:18 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,186,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mila123 View Post
My management, at the last minute, decided I should attend a meeting that directly affects my work and my customers, so had me invited. I would say I was the most outspoken and had the most opinions in this meeting. They said they would schedule a follow up meeting for 30 days. I received the invite, but I was only set up as an "optional" attendee. Of course I'm thinking wtf. Shortly after, our group had an unrelated meeting scheduled and my management was there. I verbalized that I was not happy about being considered optional and my asst manager said outloud, "you always gets upset at these kind of things" (or something to that affect). He was smiling when he said it, but it really annoyed me. Am I not allowed to be pissed off? Guys in my group swear and get angry all the time and I've NEVER heard management tell them to calm down, stop being so emotional, etc.

The rest of the day I was annoyed at the whole thing. I told my friend who's a manager at a different company and he said this person should never have said that, that he would get in trouble at his company if he said that to me in front of others. It's out of line and possibly sexist.

Agree?
I'm confused here. An Assistant Manager called you out for always being upset. You then say that management doesn't tell the men to calm down or be emotional - how does that relate to what the assistant manager said. He just made a comment. My best advice is to accept the meeting and move on. Also, be professional, do your job, and don't take anything personal. Leave the ego at the door. Good luck.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:25 AM

50,808 posts, read 36,501,346 times
How is it sexist? He is talking about you as a personality that he knows and what his perceptions are. I too think you made too much out of it. I assume some of the people in attendance were required to be there by corporate or something, while your attendance was optional in terms of meeting corporate compliance requirements or something. He didn't say YOU were optional just that your attendance was. He's the one who got you invited for goodness' sakes.

I get whiny sometimes, so when someone tells me I'm being whiney, they're not saying it based on my gender, they are saying it because they know me and how I get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment