Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2017, 06:29 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,589,359 times

Advertisements

I just got hired at a call center. The company mostly is good, though one issue bothers me. They asked me to tell the customer, in the event that we run into technical difficulties (computer freezing, etc) that we are updating and to be patient (or something like that).

I don't want to lie and I agree that bluntly telling them outright that we're having computer issues could upset them, so I'm wondering how best to say it without lying or outright saying we're having an issue with the computer or whatever (which isn't likely to make them thrilled with the company we're handling.)

In addition to the ethical issues (customers don't like being lied to), if the "updating" takes more than a few minutes, the customer is likely to be peeved with us anyway and may think we've got a slow system or something if it takes that long to update and they may realize that we weren't being truthful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 06:58 PM

29,523 posts, read 22,680,154 times
Probably a general "computer/software technical difficulties/issues" should suffice for both supervisor suggestion and also customer end.

I myself never probed or got upset whenever a CSR on phone told me they were having computer issues (whatever it was). But I realize I may not be most of America which always seem so darned impatient.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:25 PM

12,109 posts, read 23,296,566 times
I guess you could be waiting for your connection to update or whatever it needs to do to get back on-line. I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:12 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,755,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
I just got hired at a call center.

Run!

Old 08-20-2017, 11:56 AM

783 posts, read 577,292 times
Tell them you're using AOL and just waiting for the connection. Then have a .wav file you can play for them of the connection sound to make it feel real.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:59 PM

666 posts, read 643,895 times
I'd go with something along the lines of what Suburban_Guy suggested. It really isn't that much of an ethical issue, just go with the flow of the call. Most people will be okay with it, though you will get the occasional yahoo who thinks if they just repeat their request loudly and slowly in the most self-superior tone possible, you'll suddenly be able to pull whatever information they need out of your ass.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:17 PM

490 posts, read 584,819 times
Ive been told regularly by customer service they are having pc issues. In fact I almost expect it. Anyone who has ever used a pc knows exactly what a pc issue could be.

What you have said wouldn't be a big deal if thats what you consider a lie. I would say what the employer wants you to say. If someone is going to get mad over the delay, the reason isn't going to matter much.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:00 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
I just got hired at a call center. The company mostly is good, though one issue bothers me. They asked me to tell the customer, in the event that we run into technical difficulties (computer freezing, etc) that we are updating and to be patient (or something like that).

I don't want to lie and I agree that bluntly telling them outright that we're having computer issues could upset them, so I'm wondering how best to say it without lying or outright saying we're having an issue with the computer or whatever (which isn't likely to make them thrilled with the company we're handling.)

In addition to the ethical issues (customers don't like being lied to), if the "updating" takes more than a few minutes, the customer is likely to be peeved with us anyway and may think we've got a slow system or something if it takes that long to update and they may realize that we weren't being truthful.
I've been in IT for 19 years. I'd see right through that BS in a New York minute.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:55 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,547,409 times
If this is the only lie you are telling then your company is pretty good. This is a lie that isn't really hurting anyone so I wouldn't sweat it too much. They are just giving you a line to feed the customers to attempt to keep them happy while you wait for the computers to unfreeze. I see nothing wrong with it.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:04 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,589,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
If this is the only lie you are telling then your company is pretty good. This is a lie that isn't really hurting anyone so I wouldn't sweat it too much. They are just giving you a line to feed the customers to attempt to keep them happy while you wait for the computers to unfreeze. I see nothing wrong with it.
You mean you've seen worse where they asked you to lie on your job? (I was hoping those types of jobs were only sales jobs or those that were run by the greedy CEOs that want illegals or H1Bs and are pathological liars themselves and thus expect their employees to be too.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment