Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 02:52 PM

7,188 posts, read 9,322,724 times

Advertisements

I never minded firing people for misconduct or for failing to perform after several warnings. Most of them expected it.

What I hated was firing people who were excellent performers just because corporate decided to slash the budget and move their jobs to Asia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 02:55 PM

691 posts, read 420,135 times
stick to the facts and make it short. after you arent on the clock you two can discuss this or that.

this is providing that this person was told and told and warned and coached.

If they think nothing is wrong and the firing is coming unexpectedly then you didnt have a good relationship just cause yall ' got along'

Old 08-07-2017, 04:39 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,333,598 times
If I was in your shoe, I woud let that person know that I did everything I could but in the end, it came from above that he is going to be let go. Be supportive as you can. And then call in sick for the next two week just incase he goes bat crazy and wack everyone. J/K

Old 08-07-2017, 06:00 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times
Fire them on a Friday at the end of the day. If Friday is also payday make sure they have their pay check first.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:42 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,378,490 times
Default descriptive advectives, not direct objects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Sol View Post
What do "doesn't play well with others" and "bad attitude" mean? Is this someone who is being treated poorly by others and maybe reacting to that, or is it an introvert who keeps to himself? What exactly is he doing?
One of the most frustrating situations in the workplace is when "decision makers' use descriptive adjectives like "rude", "uncooperative" without attaching a direct object that is a FACT. "Doesn't play well" on const. sites means you don't close down the pub at 2 a.m. with all the losers, so you're the employee that's "out"!!

Old 08-07-2017, 06:51 PM

154 posts, read 230,407 times
"The company has decided to let you go." If he asks why, tell him what their reasons were.
Anticipating it is probably worse than the event itself.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:05 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,945,586 times
Quote:
Is he good at his job? I wouldn't care if an employee is "argumentative and resistant to authority" if he is productive. It sounds like you want staff members who are submissive yes men, stepford employees who wear a fake smile and agree with everything.
I guess when you become boss you can make the rules.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:15 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
Quote:
Is he good at his job? I wouldn't care if an employee is "argumentative and resistant to authority" if he is productive. It sounds like you want staff members who are submissive yes men, stepford employees who wear a fake smile and agree with everything.
Things aren't always black and white. There's a grey area between challenging the status quo and just being plain argumentative. You appreciate the former as they can bring a different perspective on things and can often introduce innovation. However, the latter is simply trying to push your buttons without adding anything of value.
Of course, how a person is perceived is also up to the recipients perspective. Some will see someone as pushing the boundary and innovative while another will see it as simply being a jerk.

I've had to let people go even though they were essentially SMEs in their area. The problem isn't their ability to do the technical part of their job. However, due to a lack of soft skills or other issues, they are not able to work well with others. So while they know their stuff like the back of their hand, they also made life a living hell for those around them. In the end, the entire group suffers.

This isn't to say this person is bad or what they are doing is wrong. But simply they are no longer the right person for the role.

To the OP - This is the crappiest part of being a manager. You're making a business decision - but the impact to the employee will be extremely personal and emotional. There really isn't a play book for this as everyone is different. Some will just look at you, say nothing and walk off, some will get super angry and get loud, and some will cry. You'll just need to get through it. Not only is this meeting hard, but dealing with the aftermath will also be challenging - and no matter how unpopular he/she may have been, there will still be those that are shocked when the termination actually happens. And they will be looking for someone to blame.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:44 PM

1,917 posts, read 1,279,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I guess when you become boss you can make the rules.
Well said

Old 08-07-2017, 07:49 PM

1,917 posts, read 1,279,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Things aren't always black and white. There's a grey area between challenging the status quo and just being plain argumentative. You appreciate the former as they can bring a different perspective on things and can often introduce innovation. However, the latter is simply trying to push your buttons without adding anything of value.
Of course, how a person is perceived is also up to the recipients perspective. Some will see someone as pushing the boundary and innovative while another will see it as simply being a jerk.

I've had to let people go even though they were essentially SMEs in their area. The problem isn't their ability to do the technical part of their job. However, due to a lack of soft skills or other issues, they are not able to work well with others. So while they know their stuff like the back of their hand, they also made life a living hell for those around them. In the end, the entire group suffers.

This isn't to say this person is bad or what they are doing is wrong. But simply they are no longer the right person for the role.

To the OP - This is the crappiest part of being a manager. You're making a business decision - but the impact to the employee will be extremely personal and emotional. There really isn't a play book for this as everyone is different. Some will just look at you, say nothing and walk off, some will get super angry and get loud, and some will cry. You'll just need to get through it. Not only is this meeting hard, but dealing with the aftermath will also be challenging - and no matter how unpopular he/she may have been, there will still be those that are shocked when the termination actually happens. And they will be looking for someone to blame.
This is good insight. Like you said, it's nothing personal, just business. But no matter what, I will always look like the "bad guy".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment