Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 12:41 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,145,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
Ok, got it! Thanks!

For sure I've been reading too much online today about interviewing, so began to feel like - why can't I just say I can do this.
Don't overthink it. If you're qualified, and hit it off with your new manager(s) and any executives on the interview loop (if applicable), and you hit the numbers ($), you'll be fine.

Took me about 100 networking contacts: targeted conversations, in-persons, interviews...to score last time, so perseverance is key. That's more than many years prior when last searching ,for me anyway.

Fast-forward: I've interviewed quite a few seniors and principals in 2017, an unusually high amount for our growing practice. New leadership, and I'm busy now, probably won't interview anyone again near-term, but was a bit educational since I staffed a team up w/25+ almost ten years ago:

- Best candidates handled it like a conversation peer-to-peer, and meant it. Putting on affected casualness turned me off. Enthusiasm to embrace the problems I presented caught my full attention.

- Answer the questions briefly, pause, redirect to me with "am I going right direction" or "can I tell more". About half the time, interviewer says "enough" or "let's go (that) direction, now..." Helps interviewer and candidate keep on-point.

- I like value statements at the end, but few give them. They don't have to be phony. I always said, during the out the door handshake, "I'm your guy for this role, please consider my candidacy careful, look forward to working with you!" w/sincerity the finite number of times I've been other end of the process.

- An old guy who was confident and qualified but gruff got a "meh" from me. We hired him anyway, for a contract jobs, so I hope he's well enough. Leave the attitude at the door: I could have gotten him in the door way faster minus the guff.

That's it for the moment. Friend of mine is looping today, I coached her up well, must be the season leading into September when some are back from summer holidays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 12:45 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,145,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Actually, that is a very poor answer because it does not answer the question. We ALL need to work on something. An evasive answer shows a lack of self awareness.
'Betcha, 10x.

Heard that from a guy couple months ago, shepherding him through interviews with a tough client. "I've never had a major failure" (or any other, seemed like, related to project work).

He was a "no-go" not long after that, for various reasons related to that comment and others, yet that was one of several major mistakes made during that loop. Non self-aware people can be really dangerous if put in leadership roles, or even important IC, thus end of the day I was glad we'd tripped him up.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:48 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,958,062 times
You can say that sincerely without sounding desparate. A job interview is a sales pitch so pitch away.
You are in a different position than someone who has a job and is shopping for a better paying one.
Years ago, in a very bad job market, I relocated to NYC, was sleeping on a cot at my father's house, just had a raincoat and sport jacket in mid January so I was freeziang cold. I was interviewed by a young lady who thought I was over qualified for the job on the swing shift (5:PM to 12:30AM). I lied and said I would be going to law school during the day for the next three years. She wasn't convinced. I said to myself if I can't convince her to give me the job I deserve to freeze to death outside. I sat there and argued with her for 20 minutes. Finally she called my previous employer in LA who gave me a sterling recommendation and told her if she didn't hire me, tell me to come back to LA and my old job was waiting. That convinced her and I got the job, stayed 7 years, and got a job with another company with a higher slary and position.

Quote:
I need the job, know I can do the job and will do it well, even if I don't know how to do all of it right now.
I have good references, have a long history of a great work ethic, and need a job yesterday.

How forward can I be? Can I speak very honestly, like, "I won't disappoint you if you hire me. What I don't know how to do I'll be dedicated to becoming excellent at."
Too much?
And if so, why??? Why can't we speak honestly in interviews?

Old 08-24-2017, 01:00 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,958,062 times
The actor and comedian George Burns once said "If you can fake sincerity, you've got it made." Be honest but positive.
If you want the job show enthusiasm about working there and a positive attitude that you can do the job, and do it well, and be a quick learner on the job. If you show doubt about it being a good fit, or your willingness or ability to handle the work, you are disqualifying yourself. Getting a job is like getting a date. You need to put your best foot forward but not rely on canned lines or cliches. Enthusiasm and confidence are very attractive in both situations.

Quote:
The thing is I've been reading tips online, and I was thinking more in terms of just saying things in a genuine way.
It's the scripted-ness that I see online that's so overboard to me.
Times have changed though. I remember when you really could say what I posted in my opening post and it'd be fine. But now, it's like having to think about what not to say, even if you're giving an honest response. That's actually why I posted this question, I suppose, to know what is not acceptable to the interviewer. So, it's strange times for interviewing!
Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 08-24-2017, 02:14 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,215,585 times
Quote:
I need the job, know I can do the job and will do it well, even if I don't know how to do all of it right now.
I have good references, have a long history of a great work ethic, and need a job yesterday.

How forward can I be? Can I speak very honestly, like, "I won't disappoint you if you hire me. What I don't know how to do I'll be dedicated to becoming excellent at."
Too much?
The job interview should equally be about why you should decide to work for them as why they should hire you......

Old 08-24-2017, 03:02 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
Quote:

Too much?
What you are thinking of doing, will keep you from getting jobs. It is a sound of desperation, and a way of saying I really am not sure if I am the right person for the job, so I will throw something at you to distract from that fact, and trying to keep from having to answer the . THIS IS THE TYPE OF THING PEOPLE THAT CANNOT SELL THEMSELVES AS THE BEST PERSON FOR JOB THROW OUT. They have heard it before, and know they will hear it again.

They want you to be honest at the interview. However they want you to do it their way. This way the are treating all applicants equal, in their attempt to find the best person. When instead of doing it their way, you want to beg for a job. They are not looking for beggars, they are looking for someone that will give them answers to their questions. At the point you do it the way you want to do it, the interview is over for all practical purposes and you go into the reject pile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Sol View Post
I've put off job hunting before due to my intense hatred for interviewing. I cannot stand playing mind games without having a clue as to what the "right" answers should be. Unless technical-based, which 90% of the ones I've been on have NOT been, an interview is nothing more than a BSing session.
This is the BSing. The interview is the opportunity for the hiring manager to get to know you, and if they want to hire you or not. I hired hundreds of people when in the corporate world, and in private business.

The biggest problem is you want to know what the right answer should be. That is not what the interviewer is asking. They ask a question, and want you to give a truthful answer so they can decide to hire you, or not to hire you. Some will come out of left field, questions you cannot have practiced answers to in advance. They want to see how you react under pressure. They want to know if you can think on your feet. They want to take a look into the type of person you are, and how well you will fit into the team. They want to see you in person, and how you look in appearance. I don't mean how good looking you are. I mean are you dressed appropriately for an interview. How you carry yourself. If you can answer the question as asked, not sitting there trying to figure out what answer the interviewer is looking for. Some of the questions, will have no right, and no wrong answer. But are given to evaluate how quick you can give an answer if a problem comes up. Some people are unable to give a sensible answer, showing they really will not fit into a job where quick decisions are needed when something unusual comes along.

When you are asked questions they are not mind games, but to evaluate you as to how you will handle it if something you have not planned and practiced an answer in advance is asked. Often there is no right or wrong answer, but are testing you to see if you can think on your feet, if something you had not planned in advance is asked.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:08 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,953,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Again, great answer.

My answer to this type of question is that I would like to learn more about VBA. The ability to create complex (for me) scripts on the fly would enhance my productivity, as I would be able to obtain data quickly and efficiently without involving IT, which inevitably delays my access to the info and adds workload for IT.

This works for me, because I am not in IT and I don't apply for IT jobs, so I am not expected to know VBA. I do have a pretty decent knowledge of Excel and Access, and have an adequate knowledge of SQL. I can knowledgeably discuss any followup questions that may arise around Access or Excel (doesn't usually come up, these are trivial and expected), use of data in driving decisions (often more intriguing), implementation of ERP systems from a non-IT managerial viewpoint, or interdepartmental interactions and resource allocation.

I can use a variation of this answer for the trite "greatest weakness" question. The idea is that I really could be more productive byhaving this skill, but I have lots of other skills that I would like to discuss.

I wouldn't advise using this particular answer unless you really can talk knowledgeably about the various spinoff subject areas.
Exactly. So often when people are asked to discuss something they need to work on, they revert to "personal" development. It's one of those tricky and illuminating questions where professional development is a plus, and personal flaws is a minus.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:57 PM

9,414 posts, read 11,159,448 times
Quote:
The thing is I've been reading tips online, and I was thinking more in terms of just saying things in a genuine way.
It's the scripted-ness that I see online that's so overboard to me.
Times have changed though. I remember when you really could say what I posted in my opening post and it'd be fine. But now, it's like having to think about what not to say, even if you're giving an honest response. That's actually why I posted this question, I suppose, to know what is not acceptable to the interviewer. So, it's strange times for interviewing!
Thanks for the suggestions!
Who was it who said, "Once you can fake sincerity, you've got it made!"

QUIT with the handy online scripted tips. Forget all that baloney.

Be you. Know your strengths and abilities. Be ready for the "What is your greatest weakness?" question.

If someone in a job interview said to me "I will not disappoint you!" I'd raise an eyebrow, get a puzzled look, and think, "Huh? Are you qualified for this job or not? Why are you here? I'll be the judge if you disappoint me. What's your skillset?"

You are overthinking this. Analysis paralysis.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:05 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:

Too much?
I thought this is exactly what you're supposed to do in the interview; put your best foot forward. But I might wait for an appropriate cue. For example, if they discuss your skill set, then ask about something that's not on your resume, that's when you can say you're a quick learner.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:35 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I thought this is exactly what you're supposed to do in the interview; put your best foot forward. But I might wait for an appropriate cue. For example, if they discuss your skill set, then ask about something that's not on your resume, that's when you can say you're a quick learner.
Right. No one expects you to be a genius at the job when you start. You are going to have to learn it, and there are some parts that will come easier and some parts that will take longer. I just started a new job where people usually have some basic skills, but the actual content part is challenging. I have the underlying skills and am good at them (which is the part that can be very difficult to train), but integrating them with the new content and rules of the organization is the challenging part. It's also challenging to try to please the different people in the office who all have different requirements, but at the interview I indicated that I am flexible and I would do what I was asked to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment