Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 08:40 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,069,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
It is not ad hominem in the logical fallacy sense. You're declaring yourself as an expert on this matter by making "declarative" statements on this topic, and I'm asking you what your qualifications are. Have you done extensive research on this? You say you own two businesses and you make hiring decisions, which maybe sheds some light on what your knowledge is on this subject. So what types of jobs are you interviewing and hiring for?

You're asking us to take your word over experts in the field who've studied this topic. And I'm asking you "Why should we". What do you know that they don't?
Your article specifically references lower end supply issues. They're not talking about coders, doctors, lawyers, consultants and so on. They're referring to lower end. Exactly what I referred to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 08:43 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
Your article specifically references lower end supply issues. They're not talking about coders, doctors, lawyers, consultants and so on. They're referring to lower end. Exactly what I referred to.
They referenced that as an example, not as the sole area where this issue lies.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:49 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,069,146 times
Quote:
They referenced that as an example, not as the sole area where this issue lies.
Sometimes, after few rounds with you I have no idea what your argument really is. Zero. You're constantly talking in circles, and making inferences where there aren't any. I think I'll pass on your posts/threads from now on.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
Sometimes, after few rounds with you I have no idea what your argument really is. Zero. You're constantly talking in circles, and making inferences where there aren't any. I think I'll pass on your posts/threads from now on.
They used it as an example, not as the sole area where this issue lies. Did I miss something? Now I'm talking in circles? Read the headline. It states: U.S. Employers Struggle To Match Workers With Open Jobs. It doesn't say U.S. Employers Struggle To Match Low Wage Workers Only With Open Jobs.

It seems that you get frustrated when you hit a wall, and then you decide to take your ball and run off with it while accusing me of something far-fetched. I mean, if that's the best you have to offer in a discussion, see ya!

Old 09-01-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
edit: if you keep pushing the question in the fashion that you are, I will take it as a personal attack and report it
I'm not pushing anything. If you don't want to answer, then don't answer. On the other hand, your comments sound as if you have zero experience in this area, that's all I'm pointing out. When you makes claims that "homework" is not stressful and that you can just take the class over again, it comes off as absurdly ignorant.

I didn't know it was a violation of forum rules to ask questions about other people's experience on which they are talking about. You're claiming that college is no big deal. I'm asking you why do you feel that way? What is your experience with it? Do you have any?

You can have all your opinions, no problem. It doesn't mean they're correct or that they're insulated from criticism.

Last edited by Left-handed; 09-01-2017 at 09:15 AM..

Old 09-01-2017, 11:01 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:

So yeah, I get the frustration that these people feel when they enter the work force. It is extremely frustrating that the expectations and requirements for jobs are so high, and that compensation may not have caught up with that.
Exactly!

Old 09-01-2017, 11:05 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
As I've already clearly stated, I don't think a college grad should expect to make what someone with 30+ years of experience is making.

However, discounting their educational attainment, as you appear to be doing, is not right either. You don't think college is stressful? Have you ever taken 18 credits at a time while holding down a part time job? Have you ever had to juggle multiple projects and write a 20 page dissertation on any given topic while properly notating your sources?

And again, what is it with people avoiding my questions? Do you have a college degree or not? Do you know what it takes to get one from a good program? I'm not talking about DeVry University or University of Phoenix quality of education either. Honestly, when people avoid these questions, it seems to paint a picture of insecurity to me. It makes it seem like you don't value a college degree, because you personally don't have one. And yet, you probably feel pressure and insecure because of how many other people around you do have one.

I think it's very important to understand why people feel the way they do about something. It tends to shed a lot of light on their messaging.

Old 09-01-2017, 11:06 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The younger workforce is what has driven the employers to look for the purple squirrels and no longer are going to spend months training new employees that will quit and go somewhere else as soon as they are able to handle the job. They are against training their competitions work force, spending the time and trouble to train them.
Ah, the unintended consequences of the 401k. Who would have imagined? Retention is a huge challenge for companies today, and it's led to some interesting innovations in benefits programs, but the fact is that when you can roll up your retirement and take it with you, companies have to work much harder to hold on to employees.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:53 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The younger workforce is what has driven the employers to look for the purple squirrels and no longer are going to spend months training new employees that will quit and go somewhere else as soon as they are able to handle the job. They are against training their competitions work force, spending the time and trouble to train them.
Genuine question... why didn't employers increase their salaries after training them? Employees with more training are more valuable. OTHER employers offered them more money, which was why they jumped ship. The employees were simply following the money. It's no different than when a company tries to hire cheaper labor and/or fewer employees, but THEY seem to get much less criticism concerning that.
If those companies can get away with hiring people who already have the training and/or experience, then hey, more savings to them! If not then, they do have a decision to make, and something's gotta give. Traditionally, offering more money doesn't always work, but it's been a strong incentive to keep productive employees around and much more loyal.

Old 09-01-2017, 03:48 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,169 times
If the employers would just follow the market forces, instead of fighting the market, we would all be better off, including the employers.

The employers are so short sited they are hurting themselves long term. They are making it much harder on themselves than it needs to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment