Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 07:54 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,284,688 times

Advertisements

I've posted about my abusive workplace before and many kind people replied. A couple of people said I should grow a thicker skin and I should. That said, here is the latest situation: I got my hair cut at a good salon on Monday. My hair is a little fried from overcoloring but in general is not too bad. It's also a thinning a little from stress. The stylist cut an inch or so off and added bangs which I think is a nice change. It's about shoulder length, reddish brown, and not perfect but certainly not gross or anything. I go to great lengths to blow dry it well and was feeling so much better about how it was looking post cut. About half way through the day a co worker came up to me before a meeting and I asked him what it was going to be about. He said, "You, your hair, and how it sets such a bad example." I was floored! My hair is far from perfect but I actually got a compliment on the change and thought people would acknowledge that at least I did something about it. I don't think I can work with this man and am not sure what I should do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 08:24 PM

451 posts, read 1,228,172 times
I don't know much about your past exchanges, but it just sounds like he is being a bully to you. Its kinda hard to now stand up to him, but its always possible. Have you let management know that he harrasses you? What are your informal resolution procedures? These are a few tools you can use to get the problem resloved, or you can decide to match wits with him and be as nasty, but it can lead to both of you being outta work. I would 1st try the informal resoultion system where you and him and a neutral 3rd party(non management) is present to let him know you have a problem with the way he talks to you. If he still doesn't want to change, I would get management involved and let them know that you tried to solve the problem on your on, but he continues to harrass you and go on from there.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:48 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,485,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
About half way through the day a co worker came up to me before a meeting and I asked him what it was going to be about. He said, "You, your hair, and how it sets such a bad example." I was floored! My hair is far from perfect but I actually got a compliment on the change and thought people would acknowledge that at least I did something about it. I don't think I can work with this man and am not sure what I should do.
B.H81 gave some good advice.

I would keep a log and make certain that the bully did not know of this.
'Give him enough rope and he will hang himself'--with documentation from you.

Say nothing. Do not engage him. If possible never speak to him. CYA--at all times.

From the comment you made about 'trying to do something about it...' I suspect you are easily intimidated and this guy knows it. Knows he some kind of power/control over you.

I think I would enroll in a kick boxing class or some sort self defense class --just for myself. Increase your personal power/confidence in your self any way you can.

Do not be a victim.

bhs

Old 03-14-2008, 09:05 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,908 times
Sexual harrassment, get the most dirtbag scumbag lawyer you can find. If you have any money, slap it on their desk and ask them to make his life miserable. The company won't like this at all. You remind the company of how much anxiety this has caused you and how you had to hire an attorney to protect yourself.

Use words like hostile work environment, sexual harrassment....because it is.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:06 PM

Yeah, and document, but don't let this go on...get to an attorney.
Remember, Human Resources willl claim to help but they will protect the company first, not you.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:40 PM

451 posts, read 1,228,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Sexual harrassment, get the most dirtbag scumbag lawyer you can find. If you have any money, slap it on their desk and ask them to make his life miserable. The company won't like this at all. You remind the company of how much anxiety this has caused you and how you had to hire an attorney to protect yourself.

Use words like hostile work environment, sexual harrassment....because it is.

I dont' think he is giving any red light behavor from his comments, so if you go for a strong accusation like this, you better have some proof to back it up. Him making comments about your hair is not sexuall harrassment since he is not saying it makes you look like a *****, or only strippers wear something like that. He said it sets a bad example. Now that can be taken a lot of ways, but I don't think the sexual harrassment bug will bite. Now if he has said things to you sexual in nature its another story. Now you may have a case for sexual discrimination if he is targeting you for being a woman. Make sure you communicate correctly what the problem is, becuase if somebody who worked for me said sexual harrassment, the actions I take would be much different than sexual discrimination, its a different set of tools to work with.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:02 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,233,542 times
Did everyone in the office "oooh" and "aaaahhh" over your hair? Perhaps it was merely a commentary on what was going on around him, i.e. hair conversations.

If someone had said that to me I suspect I would have responded with something along the lines of "Well, then I better "brush" up before the meeting starts."

I don't hear any harassment, sexual or otherwise. All I hear is an insensitive co-worker.

Old 03-15-2008, 12:21 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,169 times
honestly, I dont mean to downplay your feelings. But it sounds like he was just kidding and maybe even complimenting you. Maybe this person has a different kind of sense of humor and has no idea he hurt your feelings? is that possible? I can't imagine someone would say something like that to hurt you, it really sounds like maybe it was a joke, in good humor not mean humor.

Good luck

Old 03-15-2008, 01:42 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,244 times
It seems like his people skills are zero. Practice come backs like "Your hair ain't so bad either"...Don't bully or yell at him, using humor is the best way. If you make an easy target for bullies, maybe you do need to get some selfsteem work done. I agree that a selfdefence class does wonders. It's not only good to know how to defend yourself physically but such a class does wonders for your selfworth.
Are others in hearing range of this? How do they react? Do they all chime in and laugh or comment?
If it's continuing, you need to go to management and tell them it's a hostile work environment. They hate that word and harrassment, that's another one...But if it's everyone around you or just one fool, there's a difference. If it's just one fool, then the smarta$s comments may throw him off, act like it's a joke to you, he'll go away...but if it's the fact everyone made a joke out of you, then it's something you need to take other action on, go to management or decide you've had it working there and get some counseling to help with your selfesteem.
If you have a victim's outlook, you send signals to a potential bullies' radar and I am not blaming you for what's being done to you, don't take what I say that way. But if this happens a lot there may be something you can do.
If you're unsure about it all, try writing down how you feel maybe that'll help in that you'll have a better view over the whole situation. And it'll keep track of incidents just in case.

Last edited by MaggieZ; 03-15-2008 at 02:01 AM..

Old 03-15-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.H81 View Post
I dont' think he is giving any red light behavor from his comments, so if you go for a strong accusation like this, you better have some proof to back it up. Him making comments about your hair is not sexuall harrassment since he is not saying it makes you look like a *****, or only strippers wear something like that. He said it sets a bad example. Now that can be taken a lot of ways, but I don't think the sexual harrassment bug will bite. Now if he has said things to you sexual in nature its another story. Now you may have a case for sexual discrimination if he is targeting you for being a woman. Make sure you communicate correctly what the problem is, becuase if somebody who worked for me said sexual harrassment, the actions I take would be much different than sexual discrimination, its a different set of tools to work with.

You're trying to rationalize too much and give him the benefit of the doubt. "He says it sets a bad example."
It's sexual harrassment, because he 99% probably would not have ever made a remark like that to a man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment